Spent So Much Money and Still Disappointed
Feb 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #151 of 186

I'm curious though what are you using to power them? I can tell you for sure you won't get the full potential out of a headphone jack from a laptop. Look into the O2 reference amp from JDS labs. That will power them really well.
Quote:

A few days ago I had narrowed my choiced down to Denon D2000 and Sony XB1000. The community re-assured me that the Denon's were the way to go, regardless of their $350 price tag so that's what I bought. Unfortuantely those phones have no bass what-so-ever (but are outstanding otherwise).

I don't want to dump my Denon's because they are fabulous phones. The more I listen to them the more I love them, That still doesn't excuse the fact that they have no bass so I went ahead and ordered a set of Sony XB500. I read on Consumer Reports that the XB500/XB700 phones are the bassiest headphones on the market. So we'll see. I guess if the XB500's don't punch and boom then my memory is a total fantasy (regarding my impression of the Dre Beats several years ago).

I guess I had originally hoped that I could find some phones that worked the way my other audio works.... in my car if a song has bass then it booms and vibrates the earth. If the song doesn't have bass then it just plays as it was recorded with low or no bass. Its not a one sum proposition. For phones it seems they either have bass and nothing else or they have no bass at all.

Lol.. I just bought a pair of XB500's! If they're not popular here then they'll probably be great! :wink: Oh yea, and I already have a fiio e-7 amp. Its currently driving my Denon 2Ks (which still have no bass to speak of)

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #152 of 186

Quote:
I'm curious though what are you using to power them? I can tell you for sure you won't get the full potential out of a headphone jack from a laptop. Look into the O2 reference amp from JDS labs. That will power them really well.

i think he is using a fiio e7 he said the denons he got have no bass thats what lets senns down no bass but some of them have i think the adidas ones have but not 100% sure..

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #153 of 186
The fiio E7 definitely isn't the problem, and the Denon isn't the problem either.  It's either or the guy's train of thought or his music.  I have a friend exactly like that.  He thought my M50 lacked bass and he thought my D2000s lacked bass in comparison to his Beats.  Both had a way more extended and impactful sub-bass, but all he cares about is the mid-bass.  He also likes listening extremely loud as well, sacrificing ears for the sole purpose of just getting a tactile feedback to the mid-bass, no matter how bloated and congested it was.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #154 of 186
People that say the D2000s have no bass must be used to subwoofers attached to their heads. :D I think they're very punchy with great extension.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #155 of 186

Quote:
People that say the D2000s have no bass must be used to subwoofers attached to their heads.
biggrin.gif
I think they're very punchy with great extension.

I love bass just like the rest of them but if it intrudes into the mid range and treble it is a no no. I mean I use to get upset at the Denon 5000s literally vibrating my skull lol on certain tracks.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #156 of 186
if you are listening to dance music you want the bass to be good if that's what he listens too but not much info on that..but if he does he could have went the in ear route and went for klipsch earbuds they are made for dance music he could have got the x10is if he wanted to push the boat out..

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #157 of 186
Quote:
The fiio E7 definitely isn't the problem, and the Denon isn't the problem either.  It's either or the guy's train of thought or his music.  I have a friend exactly like that.  He thought my M50 lacked bass and he thought my D2000s lacked bass in comparison to his Beats.  Both had a way more extended and impactful sub-bass, but all he cares about is the mid-bass.  He also likes listening extremely loud as well, sacrificing ears for the sole purpose of just getting a tactile feedback to the mid-bass, no matter how bloated and congested it was.

Riiiiight so clearly it's a psychological problem. I'm getting a little tired of debating this. These Denon's don't have any bass. None. There is no punch, no bump, no vibration, nothing. The low tones sound really good in terms of overall balance and sound quality but they don't boom, or punch, or in any way shape or form resemble sound produced by even the smallest woofer.

The beats on the other hand, they boom and punch and pound and hopefully so do the Sony XB500, because after these Denon's I'm never spending more than $100 on headphones.

Quote:
People that say the D2000s have no bass must be used to subwoofers attached to their heads.
biggrin.gif
I think they're very punchy with great extension.

It really boggles my mind how anyone can say these have bass because they don't. Put a bass CD into a capable stereo and then plug in these Denon phones. All that low frequency sound depth is lost. In fact you can no longer tell that its a bass CD at all, since the Denon's 2K aren't capable of outputting bass.

I'm starting to think I did end up with a defective set that is somehow missing the ability to play bass; either that or no one here has ever been to a night club or heard a decent car stereo

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #158 of 186

I don't know what to say. Maybe you could get them checked out if you feel this is the case. If purchased through amazon they should help you out at no cost to you. If you bought it through the market place it would possibly cost you shipping back to the seller. I say if its free its worth a shot. You could very well have a defective pair. I know bass and I don't consider my Denon 5000s bass light at all. I had to mod them in order to get the bass that I wanted. I considered the bass sub woofer like bass and with the right amplification it really makes the bass shine.

Edit: Below is a video of a fellow headfier who reviewed the Fiio E7 and demoed it playing the Denon 2000s with his recorder. I can clearly tell that is bass lol and this video even prompted me to get the Denon 5000s as it sounded really good even on this video.

Quote:

Riiiiight so clearly it's a psychological problem. I'm getting a little tired of debating this. These Denon's don't have any bass. None. There is no punch, no bump, no vibration, nothing. The low tones sound really good in terms of overall balance and sound quality but they don't boom, or punch, or in any way shape or form resemble sound produced by even the smallest woofer.

The beats on the other hand, they boom and punch and pound and hopefully so do the Sony XB500, because after these Denon's I'm never spending more than $100 on headphones.

It really boggles my mind how anyone can say these have bass because they don't. Put a bass CD into a capable stereo and then plug in these Denon phones. All that low frequency sound depth is lost. In fact you can no longer tell that its a bass CD at all, since the Denon's 2K aren't capable of outputting bass.

I'm starting to think I did end up with a defective set that is somehow missing the ability to play bass; either that or no one here has ever been to a night club or heard a decent car stereo

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #159 of 186
i will just say this i know you are a bit sick of this now the klipsch x10is sound like you have got a sub in the middle of your head they are made for dance music..i go running and i wanted something small so i got a sanza clip plus with klipsch image s4is and i run with trance music on and they are made for each other they don't sound very good with ipods though the best headphones for a ipod are either senns in ear or a pair of i grados if they didn't cripple your ears i think they were modelled on the world smallest muscle man!

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #161 of 186

Quote:

You're right, there is no debating it.  You have done everything to confirm my hypothesis.  You're used to a boomy, bloated, mid-bassy, tactile sound.  You're talking to a forum of experienced and sometimes obsessed audiophiles who for the most part, all agree that the Denons are a bass heavy headphone.  If you think the Denons have no bass I'm scared what you would think of other open audiophile grade headphones.  I've heard a good bit of entry level aftermarket car stereos, and they're for the most part completely overdone in the bass department, and most don't even reach as low as the Denons do, not to mention they're distorted to no tomorrow.  That's still not to say that a headphone could ever replicate a full sized speaker layout when it comes to bass, though. 

Like I said, you sound just like my friend.  All he really cares about is the 'boom' (btw usually used in a derogatory way to describe audio around here) and punch of mid-bass.  There are plenty of entry level headphones that focus on just that.  The XB500 being a prime example.  If you're not satisfied with the XB500 then chances are you'll never be satisfied with any headphone on the market.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #163 of 186
Quote:

Like I said, I have a nice DIY sound setup in my car with a 12" subwoofer. Got a nice 8" with my home 2.1 setup. I'm used to bass. The D2000s I had were heavenly when it came to bass extension and punch. You should try your D2000 out of every possible source you can to narrow down the potential issue. After that, I'd try a different D2000, preferably an older one that couldn't possible be from the same production run. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #164 of 186

Blown my mind is, able to put it back together I am not. :blink:

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #165 of 186
He says they have low tones and they sound nice so he clearly hears bass.  I'm thinking all he wants is impact.  I was wrong when I said the XB500s would be the last headphone to try.  There's also the skullcandy skullcrushers with their built in vibrators.  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back