Spending Strategy
Sep 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

rjp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering how people here tend to spend their money on audio gear? I tend to prefer "bang for the buck" solutions - I'm not interested in chasing diminishing returns, but I definitely appreciate quality sound.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 32
I think much of it depends on how disposable income (or money in general) you have. My current gear qualifies for "bang for the buck", but if cost was no object I'd buy whatever I could get my hands on.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 32
i love the current poll results, somehow makes testament to our "sorry for you wallet" talk
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 32
If I can get a noticeable improvement in what I like, I would go the extra. That may mean not buying until I saved up the extra though. This is not the place to be impulsive.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 32
i went in quite hard at first, and soon found that to better what i have for portable in fullsize would cost alot

very recently ive put the whole thing on hold cause i my free money is going elsewhere, and i think i will take too much to better my simple portable setup as ive yet to find better

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 32
i think it depends mostly on 2 factors:

* how much you have to spend
* how much you are willing to spend

there are many other factors but i think they will fall within one of the two above.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 32
Diminishing returns kicks in hard once you get past $1,000-$2,000 in raw parts cost. Not the retail price, but what the parts in the component actually cost. You can go over that with über-exotic SET amps that have separate filament transformers, chokes, interstage transformers, and the rest of those goodies. But asking $6,000 for everyday household tubes (at least in the 1950s) on a $50 PCB is not money well spent.

When you get past that point, you also forego serious investment money that should be *earning* you money, not depreciating. $6,000 on audio gear isn't all that far from a down payment on another rental unit in Arizona. The rental will generate maybe $600 a month in rent, give me an armload of deductions and should appreciate in the long term. If you look at pure dollars, the rental will bring in maybe $75,000 over 10 years, while the amp will be "dated" and "not as good as the new ones" then, and might get $1,000 on Audiogon. I don't mind dropping a few hundred on a pair of cans or parts for a DIY amp. That's fun. Anything more could have a huge impact on an early retirement - something I value a little more than the last 2% of sound quality that may or may not exist.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 32
IMO, first make sure that you are financially stable. Then spend as much as you can even if it will put you in a little debt but not too much.

The next plan would be buy as many records as you can and forget about upgrading for the next 15 years. It's all about the music and eventually, your gear should be invisible- Unless if DIY is your hobby and you always building.

I think it's good to spend a few thousand dollars at least once in your life for something good like a great audio system, motorcycle or whatever your hobby is. After, that eat ramen noodles and live conservatively like the rest of world.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 32
As close as I can get, to the very best from the audio companies whose gear I like.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's good to spend a few thousand dollars at least once in your life for something good like a great audio system, motorcycle or whatever your hobby is. After, that eat ramen noodles and live converatively like the rest of world.

can someone explain to me why ramen are considered to be cheap man's food? they are not exactly cheap here. or are they the equivalent of the UK "pot noodles"

As for me, i will never spend that huge amounts untill i have everything taken care of. that mean steady income towards a very good retirement, no debt (except mortgage), good pouse and furniture, some savings, savings for kids, and much more.
In the end hobbies are stuff for spending surpluses on. Surplus money, and time.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone explain to me why ramen are considered to be cheap man's food? they are not exactly cheap here. or are they the equivalent of the UK "pot noodles"

As for me, i will never spend that huge amounts untill i have everything taken care of. that mean steady income towards a very good retirement, no debt (except mortgage), good pouse and furniture, some savings, savings for kids, and much more.
In the end hobbies are stuff for spending surpluses on. Surplus money, and time.

Ramen noodles cost about 33 cents a pack I think in the U.S.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ramen noodles cost about 33 cents a pack I think in the U.S.

0_0
Damn, US is cheap

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0_0
Damn, US is cheap

Haha. 33c is for good quality ramen. Packs of Maruchan or Top can be had as low as 8c per pack buying a box at a time, in normal grocery stores. I think the extra cost would be worth it, though, even for ramen. Top is NASTY.

As for spending, it's usually bang/buck. Cheap and not that good costs more in the long run, and spending tons costs more in any time span than finding the good value in the middle.

When it's not that way, I have a specific requirement (isolation, FI). Choice of what to spend on is usually dictated by such requirements, or hobby desires. FI, I want to do a DAC and current-only amp, now, but mostly as an excuse to mess with building stuff...but I got new headphones because I finally managed to realize how freaking loud things were at work (it's hard to notice, because it all ramps up gradually through the day), but figure IEMs would not be taken to very well.

How much I spend depends on what I have. Until recently, I haven't; so, I have had several projects on hold. I don't do debt spending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back