Spending on High end IEM's
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

transmaster

New Head-Fier
I have slowly moved into higher end IEM. One thing that has tempered my choices is rapidly changing models. I am a big fan of FiiO, at least their DAC/Amps. I have never owned any of their IEM's. It seems like everytime I look at a high end FiiO IEM there is just one or two, or six in stock. Plus models come and go. Shure a brand I have enjoyed for over 10 years does not do this. My current SE-215 is over 7 years old, it was introduced in 2011, it is a great single dynamic driver earphone that sounds really good for its $100 dollar price point. I moved up to the Shure SE-425's It has 2 Shure made balanced armature drivers. The SE-425 was introduced in 2013. Even better sounding. Finally I have the SE-535, with 3 Shure balanced armature drivers plugged into my FiiO K7 directly connected to my Apple Studio the sound is astonishing. The original SE-846 was introduced in 2013. It has four Shure balanced armature drivers. The SE-846 was completely upgraded in 2022. new drivers, new crossovers and insertable sound tubes to change its sound profile like the Etymōtic ER4 series of earphones, an IEM I have years of experience with. Shure's warranty is very good too on the 2 times I have to use it. The SE-846 Gen 2 costs $899. The whole point of this at this price level trying out something I don't have a history with feels uncomfortable. It really inspires great confidence in a company that has been around since 1925, and purchasing something that has been in production with improvements for 11 or more years is important too me. Shure. like Etymōtic has a 2 year warranty, FiiO a 1 year on their IEM's. I will note that on SE-425, and 535 in do have the excellent FiiO RC-LC MMCX cables installed for a balance feed which makes a gigantic difference in sound.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 2
Here's one bit of good news, you're exploring high-end IEMs during a new golden age of IEMs in general. There is a ton of innovation and performance happening at all price points right now. :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back