Speed Demons, How Fast? Prove it.
May 3, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Yikes, if you want more speed seek out Kevin from SuperKaos. IIRC there are Busas going well over 230MPH with his and NLR turbo kits. Hank Booth got over 700HP on his modded Busa.

omg 700HP between your legs going 230MPH, thats a darwin award waiting... errr happened.

May 3, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Addict
omg 700HP between your legs going 230MPH, thats a darwin award waiting... errr happened.

These bikes are quite streetable. They are not always making 700 HP and that was a purpose built machine. I figure a GSXR1000R with around 300Hp should outrun most vehicles.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Is that 230MHP car street legal?

There are street legal cars that can hit 230 or more. I was talking about a modified Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle. Please ignore this if you were not referring to my post.

May 3, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I did not know Busas are motorcyles not cars.

Bikes are a nice cheap way to go very fast.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #52 of 67
Last time I heard a story about a modified motorcyle sitting in the intersection, when the light turned green, the air coming out of the exhaust pipe was so hot it melted the front bumper of the car behind it.

May 3, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #54 of 67
63 mph on skis, 42 mph on a longboard...

May 4, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
That's true. When I had my Civic Hybrid, I was usually the fastest car on the road, but now that I have a MUCH faster car, I don't feel the need to be the fastest anymore. It's no longer a challenge I guess. Humans are funny creatures, me included.
wink.gif

I've noticed the same to some extent, after getting into a car with roughly twice the horsepower of my last one. I would flog my last car around pretty decently because I could, and it was slow. Now I can hit speed limits fast enough that I take it easy more often. I've never been big on speeding and will still stick to speed of traffic/5-7 over, though I find it's a lot easier to do that or more without realizing in a powerful car that feels like it's puttering along at 70. My last car had plenty of noise and RPMs to remind me how fast I was going. Now that I could be faster than most of the cars on the road, I tend to reserve that for jerks, people trying to cut me off, and the always important need to merge or pass slow trucks and buses.

May 4, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #56 of 67
Elec,
D.C. burbs eh? I used to live in Oxon Hill / Temple Hills, MD and worked in Greenbelt, MD. Sometimes I miss the place. I drove way too fast when I lived there.

May 4, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #57 of 67
Yep, been here about a year so far. I'm actually farther north than you were, and probably just as close to Baltimore as DC. But nobody wants to claim they're in the Baltimore 'burbs
icon10.gif

The BW Parkway is pretty lousy since the speed limit is 50 or 55 but everyone drives much faster. I saw a really terrible accident on it one night when I was coming home from B'more - car was turned sideways and flipped upside-down on its roof on the grass embankment just left of the road. No clue how it happened, but it didn't look good at all.

May 4, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #59 of 67
I've driven a rented Mercedes in Germany at about 145mph, but my daily driver is a 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser that redlines in top gear (third!) at about 65 mph---and it feels a lot faster than 145 in a Benz. One flick of the wrist and you'd be tumbling down the road end over end down the road like a lone dice.

May 4, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #60 of 67
I'm probably one of the only fools in Cayman to hit 100 mph and not end up wrapped around a tree somewhere. I'll never do it again, that's for sure. The longest stretch of a reasonably straight "highway" road (such that you can call it that) is about 1/2 mile.

I was driving a Jamaican cleaning lady home one afternoon and she was teasing me about how wimpy my car was ('96 TransAm, stock engine). She was saying "It nah go fass" so I banked the last turn pretty hard and floored it as I came into open road. Right about the time she screamed out "Lawd hawv merceeee" and tried to find something to hold onto, I tapped the brakes once quickly and then hit 'em hard trying to reduce my speed enough to stay on the road for what would normally be a long, easy curve, but at the moment looked like an approaching 90 degree angle!

I hit 103 and managed to stay on the road so we lived, but most people who do such stupid things die horrible premature deaths. It seems like every other weekend around here, and most of them are under 25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back