Specific Recommendation
Apr 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

newprof

Head-Fier
Sorry to flood the boards with recommendation requests, but I have very specific parameters, so I thought a dedicated thread may be worthwhile.

I have a budget of $300 and I'm looking for an upgrade over my 3yr old Grado S60s (which I completely love). My primary form of listening is through my iPod and Macbook, so I need something that will sound good through them. However, I also want something expandable as I eventually plan to a headphone amp. I listen to all sorts of music (though I don't game, if that is relevant) so I need something that sounds great for classical, jazz, rock, electronica, etc.

Given my love for Grado's, I'm drawn to the 325i. What do you all think?

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 15
The Audio Technica AD900 might be a good choice. They work well without an amp but will improve with one if you decide to get one. You could also consider the MS2 or Grado SR225/SR325 if you really like the Grado sound. Most other headphones in this pricerange (Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser) will need an amp to sound good and wont work well with an iPod or Macbook.

The AD900 will sound better for classical, electronica, and maybe jazz. The grados/alessandros may be slightly better for rock (AD900 is still excellent for rock). The AD900 would be the much better allrounder choice.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 15
I'd agree with the above recs of the SR225 and AT AD900's. I'm about to upgrade from their little brothers, but just keep going back and forth on which route to go. I've demo'd both and they are both definite upgrades (although the SR60->SR225 is more of an upgrade than AD700->AD900).

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks! This is really helpful. I am leaning towards the AT AD900s, though I haven't decided against the Grados. I have to more questions

1) I know the AD 900s are supposed to be comfortable, but they look bulky. Are they too big to, e.g. lay on a pillow while listening. (I'm revealing one of my Grado habits.)

2) Why would the Allessandros be better than the 325i for my needs? I can't seem to find the Allessandros for sale from an American vendor, anyway and I'm trying to avoid huge shipping costs.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 15
I can comment there. I have owned both the 325i (goldies) and currently have the RS-2, buttonless version. I did find the 325i to be a little too hot on the treble, fixed with flat pads, but the most annoying thing was the weight of the phones. It was impossible for me use them without the headphones slipping off every time I moved. Very irritating. Other than that I liked the sound stage much better than the SR-80s I had previously. The RS-2s are keepers and unless I win a lottery, which I never play, these will be my "final" headphones. That said, it has been my experience that the climb up the Grado ladder is subtle and the slight increase in performance comes with a hefty price tag. My advice would be to audition as much as possible before you pull out your wallet.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Better is something that you can decide, but differ for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newprof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid that $300 is a pretty firm limit. Do the RS2s really sound much better than the 325is?

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 15
Save even more money and go directly for the ps1000
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Things are being set straight lately, but we need even more AD900 love! It is an excellent headphone, really. I certainly love mine.
atsmile.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things are being set straight lately, but we need even more AD900 love! It is an excellent headphone, really. I certainly love mine.
atsmile.gif

Oh, yes it is
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back