Specific moments in music that send chills down your spine
Jun 3, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #61 of 81
The first time I experienced this was with Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, in the last movement, in the brilliant instrumental passage after the lines "Froehlich wi zum siegen".

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #62 of 81
Tool 10,000 days - Wings for Marie Pt 2, "10,000 days in the fire is long enough, you're going home" Its time now, my time now, give me my, give me my wings.

The way this song builds slowly in rythm and volume, and then releases into the next passage always gives me tingles up my spine and goosebumps all over, cant explain it.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #65 of 81
Another chill-inducing moment is on "Cruz Campo" from The Vandermark 5's Airports for Light... at about the 5:30 mark right as they lead into Ken's solo... awesome! I'm a jazz neophyte, but I gotta say this is one of my favorite jazz solos.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, for me, its the "Leaving just a...memory" just before that. Its so friggin well recorded, makes me go wow every single time.

I've got to agree with Jude, that "Daddy what else did you leave for me" is fantastic. My favourite part in Another Brick In The Wall is in the 3rd part (I think the title is "Cruel World"), the last word. There's "goodbye all you people there's nothing you can say to make my change my mind" and the "Goodbye." that litteraly strikes like a hammer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ow, and wait, Everybody Hurts from R.E.M. gives me that too. Not sure when exactly though..have to listen now...but when you look for it you're most likely not gonna get it haha..Ow wait I had it!!! Like around 2:20 and 4:00...oh god I love music!!!

Are you talking about the break at 3:48 ? The athmosphere is melancholic, and all of a sudden everything stops, then when it comes back it sounds to me like a rebirth, the singer lets his emotions out. Magical
tongue.gif

Some of the moments I love, that I'm awaiting each time I listen to the song :
- when Bill Wither repeats "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know..." in Ain't No Sunshine
- every time Gary Jules says "Mad World"
- when the loud voice screams "One step beyooooooooond" in Madness' One Step Beyond, with the saxo right after this you can't help but start to move
- Phil Collins' drum solo in In The Air Tonight. Don't tell me you're not playing the drums with you fingers when you hear it, impossible.
- and of course Elvis, I think I could listen to him shouting "the warden through a party in the county jail" a thousand times in a row
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #67 of 81
The one I can always think of off the top of my head is Tool - Lateralus...

Near the end of the song when they switch keys and time signatures... it matches the theme and lyrics of the song very well... like going to another plane of existence...
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #68 of 81
dance song
Born Slippy by Underworld
makes all my hairs stand on end and my spine tingle
Love it
I'm diggin out the cd as we speak lol

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #70 of 81
Well one that still gives me shivers is the Kantner/Slick album sunfighter from '71. Growing up in the summer of love, and then have it dissolve into the horror of the war in Vietnam and the loss of MLK & RFK, the evolution of the SDS and the Weathermen, the response of the government to the students in Berkeley and then Kent State, this album was powerful. This is from the second part of the song Diana.

[size=x-small]How do you feel as you cut down your children now
And leave them dying on the grass in the sun?
What do you see when you look at one another now?
Tell me old man, tell me where will you run?
Sing a song for the children going down
Remember - the ones you knew
Remember what we sang, remember how we danced,
In America, so many years ago.
[/size]

The other two songs are Grateful Dead tunes, both sung by Jerry - Stella Blue and Days Between. Especially Days Between...

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #71 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the solo violin starts in the first track of the original sound track of Schindler's List - the main theme played by Itzhak Perlman, I get chills. As soon as track number six start - Oyf'n Pripetshok/Nacht Aktion by The Li-ron Herzeliya Children's Choir, the chills run down the spine and by about 15-20 seconds in I am near tears. This is one of the few pieces of music that can bring me to tears (primarily due to sentimental value and historical context).

Amazing that you would say this. My mother (gone 11 years) would sing that song to my twin brother and I when we were little. I assumed the song was one sung by students..in Hebrew of course. As a kid, the song really resonated with me and so I somehow remembered the lyrics phonetically. The song became part of my DNA, yet the only thing I knew about it was that my mother enjoyed singing it to us. When I heard it as part of Shindler's List...wow... you can't imagine how moved I was. Blown away

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #72 of 81
-Debussy Nocturnes:Fetes
The first distant fanfares about 1/3 into the piece

-Wagner Tristan und Isolde: End of Second Act
"Wehr dich, Melot!" (I feel goosebumps just typing it.)

-Shostakovich Symphony #5
The last measures of the fourth movement, when done well.(Rozhdestvensky does it for me every time.)

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #74 of 81
Pretty much the crescendos of Godspeed You Black Emperor's Moya and the 2nd movement of East Hastings. Seldom have I heard more frightening and powerful sections of music (but man! do they test your patience!). Oh! And Coltrane's Naima is so starkly beautiful, it makes me cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back