Specific moments in music that send chills down your spine
May 21, 2008 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81
Even after countless listens since I was in elementary school, 0:55 of "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1)" still sends chills down my spine. The way Roger Waters sing-screams (after that guitar re-enters) "....Daddy, what d'ya leave behind for me?!" so scathingly....big chills every time for me. As do an infinite number of other Pink Floyd fans, I think The Wall is a straight-up masterpiece--but for some reason, that aforementioned moment has always had the biggest effect on me. NOTE: In my opinion, you can't just skip to 0:55 of track three (disc one) and "get it." You have to listen to it from the start and keep on going--all the way through is best.

What specific moments in music do that for you? (Even if you don't have a time marker, a description of where in the track it is would be good.)

b.gif

May 21, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 81
The end section of The The's "Out of the blue (into the fire)" on the Infected album. When the female starts singing "come my love, with your desire,......." one of THE sexiest voices recorded ever.(If anybody knows the vocalists name please let me know)

The last verse on Isaac Hayes' "By the time i get to Phoenix" on the Hot Buttered Soul is just outstanding, you just know the song is going to build up, and The Bar-Kays are all over the arrangement like a rash. The ending to this track builds to such a crescendo it could be classed as operatic, orchestral and anthemic. Tight bass, sharp drums, great lead and even the Hammond organ thrown in for good measure.

Honestly folks, ok- this may be one of my all time most treasured and favourite tracks, but if i could recommend one song for everybody to listen to once in their life this would be it.

May 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 81
The transition from movement 3 to 4 in Beethoven's 5th. The full orchestra C-major arpeggios are just overwhelming after listening to c-minor, Ab, c-minor. It is critical that the conductor not rush the arpeggios this is how its done.

May 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 81
The big solo in Comfortably Numb off of PULSE. *shivers*

May 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 81
The opening notes of the Kink's Waterloo Sunset, plus the bit where the organ kicks in in the last movement of Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony... and I'm sad to say because it has been overused so much, the opening piano line of Sigur Ros' Hoppipolla...

But nothing tops the waves of emotion I get when listening to "Spem in Alium" composed by Thomas Tallis in 1570.

Oh, and "A Case of You" from Joni Mitchell's Blue...

I'd like to be way more arty about this but emotions know no logic!

May 21, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 81
Quote:

The way Roger Waters sing-screams (after that guitar re-enters) "....Daddy, what d'ya leave behind for me?!"

Actually, for me, its the "Leaving just a...memory" just before that. Its so friggin well recorded, makes me go wow every single time.

May 21, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 81
1. The Who - We Don't Get Fooled Again:
After the instrumental part of the song, Roger Daltrey's primal scream of "YEAH!!! Meet the new boss....same as the old boss".

2. Led Zeppelin - Kashmere:
Robert Plant's extended "The way I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel...."

3. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows:
When she changes her voice from real low and belts out "Everybody knoooooows, Everybody knows".

4. Pink Floyd - Time:
"Far away, across the fields the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell."

May 21, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 81
only in really powerful songs

there are a couple of lines/parts in my newest favourite group nightwishes music

one where you hear the blade in poet and the pendulum
one in swanheart, the line
'Crystal pond awaits the lorn'
'Tonight another morn for the lonely one is born'

dolphins heart song from lost horizons by luca turillis dreamquest is another

very few pieces of music do this, i can count them on my fingers, and only with certain headphones too which is a thing i have to thank head fi for

no rock/pop does it for me, has to be really rich complex sounds/female vocals

May 21, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 81
Natalie Merchant singing "Let the Mystery Be"
Some others to, but nothing compares to that....

May 21, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 81
Quote:

The big solo in Comfortably Numb off of PULSE. *shivers*

That's mine as well. Any version.

Also, the long, plaintive, lead guitar/ending that gradually fades out in "I Want To See You Dance" by The Amazing Rhythm Aces, does it to me every time.

May 21, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 81
When the solo violin starts in the first track of the original sound track of Schindler's List - the main theme played by Itzhak Perlman, I get chills. As soon as track number six start - Oyf'n Pripetshok/Nacht Aktion by The Li-ron Herzeliya Children's Choir, the chills run down the spine and by about 15-20 seconds in I am near tears. This is one of the few pieces of music that can bring me to tears (primarily due to sentimental value and historical context).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back