Specific moments in music that send chills down your spine
May 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gladiator Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer track 3 - Barbarian Horde. The music keeps building and building until it climaxes with the introduction of a couple new instruments. I love that part. It chills my spine as the OP put it.

It's track 13, just in case anyone was confused!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #33 of 81
Jude, I'm with you about Pink Floyd in general...seems there are quite a few moments that give me chills to this day:

On The Wall, there's the point in "Empty Spaces" where the guitar cuts into the foreground for the first time (at about 0:50), and then again when "Young Lust" kicks off. Pretty much any point in "Comfortably Numb" that starts a guitar solo, but particularly the one after the last vocals. Oh, and of course, pretty much any point in "Hey You", but particularly the point where the drums first really kick in (at about 1:20) and again when the first guitars kick in (at about 2:00).

I think my favorite for the chills is still the Wish You Were Here album. I go back to my college days with this one, on my first really good stereo, with a Columbia Masterworks half-speed mastered vinyl LP. As well as I know that there are several points where I still find myself saying "WOW" to this day. I think that "Welcome to the Machine" is still my favorite all-time Floyd track, and there are so many transition points in that song where they go from one instrument/effect to another that I lose count. A VERY close second is the title track...I love the part where the sound goes from sounding like you're listening to an old radio to that crystal clear guitar (at about 1:00), and then when the drums and guitars kick in later (at abou 2:05) as he says "Do you think you can tell...". Also for my money the best lyrics they ever wrote...and who is this guy singing again? Not David Gilmour or Roger Waters...it's like their "Take it to the Limit" moment, I guess.

Oh, and "One Slip" from Momentary Lapse of Reason too...that one always seems to get me at least one nasty comment from the Pink Floyd snobs.
wink.gif

Other than that, there's ELP's "Lucky Man" and "Jeruselem", particularly the DVD-A versions...I recommend them highly to anyone who says that hi-rez isn't worth the trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if I could just get my Pink Floyd in hi-rez...
mad.gif

May 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #34 of 81
The last 30 seconds of any Clair De Lune recording and Hey Jude on Love

May 26, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #35 of 81
Two of many (these just happen to be orchestral):

The emergence of the main theme in Sibelius' Fifth Symphony - simply takes my breath away and fills my eyes...

And the opening of Mahler's, um, First I think -where far away in the misty distance horns sound a fanfare....just tremendously evocative.

Edit\ and what lexnasa said re Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks. For me it's the whole record...what a song!

May 26, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with the one you came up with, Jude. You can really feel the emotion when that comes up.

I also have it when listening to "The Great Gig in the Sky" from Pink Floyd. Doesn't matter at what point I get those chills as it lasts throughout the entire song. It's absolutely perfect.
There's much more, from Pink Floyd as well as other stuff but none pops up in my mind now...
Ow, and wait, Everybody Hurts from R.E.M. gives me that too. Not sure when exactly though..have to listen now...but when you look for it you're most likely not gonna get it haha..Ow wait I had it!!! Like around 2:20 and 4:00...oh god I love music!!!

The Corrs version of "Everybody Hurts" on The Corrs - Unplugged album is great as well. Andea Corrs voice can almost bring me to tears every time I hear her sing that song.

May 26, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #38 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The transition from movement 3 to 4 in Beethoven's 5th. The full orchestra C-major arpeggios are just overwhelming after listening to c-minor, Ab, c-minor. It is critical that the conductor not rush the arpeggios this is how its done.

Not quite. The first two bars of the 4th movement are much slower than what follows, for no apparent reason...

May 26, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #41 of 81
PF-Animals-Dogs 7:31

"And it's too late to loose the weight you used to need to throw around"

The guitar chops sets a jazzy pace in the middle of a rock moment. The groove sounds like Echos at about the 7 minute mark. Great tunes both for driving.

-Styx-Equinox-The transition from Prelude 12 to Suite Madame Blue

-The bagpipes playing Amazing Grace.

-Eternal Father (Navy Hymn)

May 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A VERY close second is the title track...I love the part where the sound goes from sounding like you're listening to an old radio to that crystal clear guitar (at about 1:00), and then when the drums and guitars kick in later (at abou 2:05) as he says "Do you think you can tell...". Also for my money the best lyrics they ever wrote...and who is this guy singing again? Not David Gilmour or Roger Waters...it's like their "Take it to the Limit" moment, I guess.

I think you're talking about Have a Cigar with the non-band vocals; Gilmour is on both lead and backing vocals for Wish You Were Here

May 31, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #44 of 81
Into the West +1

Samuel Barbers Adagio For Strings Op. 11 (especially when the basses are playing with a harmonic sound)

The Moldau (If i ever get some equipment I am buying this on vinyl or a cd and ripping it in WAV, I love this song, I have played it in orch and listened to it in a compressed wma from a friend so dynamics are probably down)

May 31, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #45 of 81
In "Last Night" by Motion City Soundtrack, the bridge goes:
"My body aches, it heaves, it shakes
All somersaults through so-called art
And I still don't know exactly who I am
I never will, amen."

The way the whole song is... it's kind of a slower, more depressing version of "Sound of Settling" by Death Cab for Cutie, so it's just poppy enough to keep you on the brink of full-on being the definition of "sad"... when it hits that bridge, you lose control. I literally started bawling the first time I heard it.

Then just when you think you're going to regain control of yourself, during the last verse, the line "I can't compete with all your damn ideas", the way Justin Pierre drags out "can't" and "ideas" is just to much for me to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back