Specific moments in music that send chills down your spine
May 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #17 of 81
When Mark Knopfler hits the F# and let it ring just after the drums kick in on "Brothers In Arms" on "On The Night" live album. That performance of the song is a true masterpiece.

May 21, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 81
Gladiator Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer track 3 - Barbarian Horde. The music keeps building and building until it climaxes with the introduction of a couple new instruments. I love that part. It chills my spine as the OP put it.

May 21, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 81
• Rick Wakeman's keyboard solo in the middle of the live "Close to the Edge" from 'Yessongs.'

• The mixing of the wind chimes with the electric guitar growing in volume and then reaching its crescendo at the very start of Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" (song).

• Jon Anderson singing "Flying home... going home" after the big percussion session toward the end of "Ritual" on 'Tales From Topographic Oceans.'
cool.gif

May 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 81
Various moments during Brahms's second Piano concerto...most in the first movement, bu there are others.

There are many others, but that's what comes to mind right now.

That and the Finale portion of Alfred Desenclos's Prelude Cadence et Finale for Alto Saxophone.

EDIT: Oh yes, when Amber Benson and Anthony Head join up in the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More with Feeling". The vocal ellision between the end of Amber's phrase and the beginning of Anthony's kills me every time.

May 21, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 81
I totally agree with the one you came up with, Jude. You can really feel the emotion when that comes up.

I also have it when listening to "The Great Gig in the Sky" from Pink Floyd. Doesn't matter at what point I get those chills as it lasts throughout the entire song. It's absolutely perfect.
There's much more, from Pink Floyd as well as other stuff but none pops up in my mind now...
Ow, and wait, Everybody Hurts from R.E.M. gives me that too. Not sure when exactly though..have to listen now...but when you look for it you're most likely not gonna get it haha..Ow wait I had it!!! Like around 2:20 and 4:00...oh god I love music!!!

May 22, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 81
On "Live at the Baked Potato: Vol 2"

V13340.jpg

There's a guitar solo in "Leap of Faith" where Jeff Richman drops into a fuzzed chorus riff, modulated with some kind of crybaby/flange delay "worb-u-lator" device !!!

The recording is really good to begin with and really puts you "in the venue" but when this particular lick starts it jumps right into the room with you and blinkshifts around like some spaced-out surround special fx... wild!!!

On "The Best of Buddy Miles" there's a horn solo about 3 minutes into the Neil Young cover "Down by the River" that is much the same as above

buddym.jpg

Also, Bob Plant's wailing-moaning sections in "Whole Lotta Love", combined with Bonham's power drumming, still get the old neck hairs standing.

Rock n Roll and Pages guitar intro in to Celebration Day on the Live Song Remains the Same album. Then pretty much the whole album is magic IMO

x2 on Rog Daltrey's scream on "Won't get fooled again"... AWESOME
also, Townsends guitar work on Eminence Front is very spacey

Sarah McLachlan vocals on the solo piano piece "Difficult Kind" on Sheryl Crow & Friends Live in Central Park...is one of the most simple yet brutally honest lyrics that really can freeze your blood. Emotionally stunning IMO

The reckless swagger of the drumming and vocals while Iggy belts out "Lust for Life"

Paul Roger's vocals on Bad Companys "Good Lovin Gone Bad"

Alex Liveson's solo work on "Working Man" both live and studio

Framptons guitar work on "You feel like we do"

Magic Dicks Harp work on J. Geils Bands "Full House" Whammer Jammer and the seque in to "Hard Driving Man"

The intro into Nutbush City Limits on Bob Seger's "Live Bullet"... then the whole frigg'n album.

Robin Trower Live on the King Biscuit Flower Hour

Neil Peart's drum solo on "YYZ" off Exit Stage Left...and Livesons eastern textured guitar solo that follows...then The Trees, Xanadu (Canadu?), etc...

Gary Moores guitar solo on the live "Shape of Things to Come"...devastating!!!

Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels "Devil with the Blue Dress, Jenny Take a ride, C.C. Rider" live medely will rip your head off

PF "Animals" & "WYWH"...thru headphones X2!!!

Janes Addictions Live rendition of "Three Days" off Kettle Whistle...a gentle pond to a swirling slithering comsic maelstrom... Avery, Navarro and Perkins really let it all loose on this

TOOLS live rendition of "Push It"...as with JA, starts slow and builds, ebbs and flows with cool tabla percussion that plumbs the LF depths

Jeff Buckley doing Cohens Halleluiah

SRV Tin Pan Alley

Strauss "Blue Danube" sequeing into Radetsky March as done every New Years Eve in Austria.

Tchiakoskys 1812 Overture...

The Sax solo in Rolling Stones "Miss You"

Gene Kruppa drum work in the live rendition of "Sing, Sing, Sing" at Carnegie Hall

Rachel Yamagata vocals on "Be, Be my Love" on the Austin City Limits Festival 2005(?)

I could be here for a week listing magic moments

May 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 81
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Faith Healer.
This gets me every time. What a great and underrated band they once were, although I see they are touring the UK again. I got to see them just the once (what a fool I was in my youth..) in Swansea opening up for The Who...up to me I'd gone with the SAHB as the best show of the day...they blew The Who outta the water IMHO... So mad at myself for not catching them again. In fact just opened up a thread in the FS forum looking for DVD's of their live shows...anybody got some that they're willing to part with?

May 24, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #25 of 81
Sufjan Stevens - They are night zombies, they are neighbors

around 3:45

"I know, I know my time has passed/I'm not so young, I'm not so fast/I tremble with the nervous thought of having been, at last, forgot"

Sufjan is probably the only artist that has ever brought tears to my eyes.

/great headphones don't hurt

May 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #26 of 81
The Who - Go To The Mirror! right at 2:04 with "go to the mirror, boy!"

First time I heard it I got shivers, and I still do after countless listens.

May 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 81
For me, it would definitely be Beethoven's symphony No. 9 last movement where everybody start singing "ode to joy" especially in Günter Wands record.

May 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #28 of 81
For me one such moment is listening to the Sarah Vaughan album, How Long Has This Been Going On?. Recorded in 1978 with Joe Pass and Oscar Peterson, Sarah Vaughan puts on a dizzying display of vocal range and improvisation that left me completely spellbound. I have not experienced anything quite like it before or since in my 35+ years of serious music listening.

If I had to reduce it to one track on this record it would be the song "More than You Know." But the entire album is an amazing rollercoaster ride made possible by Vaughan's incredible vocal abilities.

--Jerome

May 24, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 81
In Brahm's first piano concerto, when the piano first enters in the first movement, absolutely chilling.

In the third movement of Beethoven's 15th string quartet (op.132), about the last 5 minutes just kill me.

Again with Beethoven, the ending of the 32nd piano sonata.

The very beginning of the Ecstasy of Gold by Morricone, with the bell and piano gallop.

May 25, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #30 of 81
MUSE - Hysteria from ~2:10 to 3:05. Amazing instrumental section, gives me chills everytime.

Evermore - Afloat from ~ 2:53 tp 3:38. Similarly awesome instrumental with some epic drumming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back