Speaking to someone and they mouth my words..
Mar 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #16 of 39
Yes, some tend to do it and I find it quite annoying!
Just repeat all or most of what I say, I guess just to confirm that they agree

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Also, it's very distracting when somebody tries to look at both of your eyes, constantly switching between them.

That's better than having their eyes continuously drifting up to look at your receding hairline.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's better than having their eyes continuously drifting up to look at your receding hairline.

Or down at your expanding waistline.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, some tend to do it and I find it quite annoying!
Just repeat all or most of what I say, I guess just to confirm that they agree

krmathis, I think YOU, hit the nail on the head by sayin' "they're confirming or agreeing with what you are saying"! I had a Lady supervisor that did the word repeating and also it was loud enough to hear, like a echo! You are right again when stating that it's very annoying! I once finished my statement to her with I got to Pee! but she didn't repeat that part of my spiel......She's the only one that I've known to do this! STRANGE INDEED

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #21 of 39
Maybe you're just really predictable.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 39
It is part of their personality. A guy I do work for does this. He does it in his e-mails too. He is very good at details though, balances a lot. Another contractor does this as well. Sometimes I wonder if they are understanding what I'm saying or just confirming what they heard. Both are timid people.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some people it's easier to process information when they are the ones saying it. So it could be they are trying to process what you are saying in the manner in which best suits them. They could also be embarrassed about this hence why they denied it. If you want, do what I do when coworkers do this, is to focus on one point, like their ear, when talking to them so you don't look at their mouth.

I thing im going to try to start doing this in classes. Lately I have been having trouble understanding or remembering information. Is that weird? People are asking why people do this, and meanwhile, I am going to try to start.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 39
I know three people who do that.  It is so frustrating, even if you don't look at them, they often start saying what you are and you can hear it.  I try and trick them and stop mid sentence and let them finish, but they don't. They stop when you do.  Okay, two women are old, (over 70) and the third is also a female, but much younger (late 20's) and she is a bit on the numb side.  She also would make up stories and say I was in these events she did...with her. nutty.  (we went sky diving? REALLY!???not.)  I came on here to see if it was an illness with a name. I guess not.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #30 of 39
Not so much, but my mother does like to try and guess what I'm going to say next all the time, it's painfully annoying. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back