Speakers with Grado sound
Jul 15, 2005 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

levap

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

May be my theme is a offtopic here, but anyway...
After about year away from my home system (Harman Kardon 4000 + Tannoy Revolution R3) in company with Grado SR-125 I tried to listen my once loved home system and oops
frown.gif
It sounded dull and muddy compared to Grados.

First and most obvious suspects - speakers, so please advice me speakers (under $1000) with sound similar to Grados.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 37
I've heard that Klipsch also makes speakers that sound like Grados, although I've not heard them for myself. I'm instead quite content with my cheapo KLH 9250B's, they sound much better than their price implies.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 37
I've heard some some Klispch and they sounded pretty good. Very lively sounding but I wasn't a big fan of the mids.

If you can look into DIY speakers I'd consider the Adire Audio HE 10.1 or 12.1. I'm very happy with my 10.1s. They have a very forward, lively and fun presentation. They don't have that sweet-sounding midrange that Grados do, (the mids still sound excellent but they don't have that certain midrange that seems tuned to female vocals and guitars).

However, being speakers with good imaging they have a much more focused and realistic soundtage. The bass is similar as well, extension isn't amazing (since it is a 10/12" 2-way the woofer needs to play a little higher so low-end extension isn't phenomenal) but it is very tight, fast and musical.

You can also buy the HE 10.1 Signatures pre-made with a better crossoever for around $1100 I believe. Or build them for about half that.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 37
Klipsch RF-7

Very good speaker at an even better price (2200 retail, 1500 ebay dealer). I found these speakers compete with speakers costing twice as much (i.e. B&W 804). They have a forward lively sound. The RF-35 might be more in your price range though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 37
How about the Mackie HR-824. They sell for about 1200 new on the street or you should be able to get them used cheaper.

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Are quotes on speaker prices normally for a pair, or one speaker?

Pair: Unless you shop at Worst-Buy

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
How about the Mackie HR-824. They sell for about 1200 new on the street or you should be able to get them used cheaper.

Well I dunno if the Mackies have Grado sound, but my only Grado experience is on low end stuff like SR60s, SR80s and my Alessandro MS-1.

The Mackies are certainly awesome, and I like them way better than my headphones.

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
Well I dunno if the Mackies have Grado sound, but my only Grado experience is on low end stuff like SR60s, SR80s and my Alessandro MS-1.

I was comparing them with me HP-1000s, I guess I should have mentioned that!
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 37
Someone told me over at the Klipsch forums that Grados are the "Klipsch" of headphones, and I believe them. Very exciting sound. They make some great speakers, though the sound you'll get is dependent on the line you purchase. Go to your local Best Buy. They carry the new Synergy line, which are pretty impressive. I'm planning to get a pair of the B3 bookshelf speakers, which one of the engineers himself admitted were designed to well to be in Klipsch's bottom-most line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back