Speakers vs. Headphones
Aug 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by washutwo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that headphones are best since they dont make a lot of noise so everyone cant hear what youre listening to

uhoh, i think i'm doing headphones wrong.
frown.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not knocking your tastes, and you are correct on many counts. but! your source components and speakers are in the mediocre range. denon is just a starting place, the b&k the krell, now we are talking components, and the bookshelves are not capable of carrying the full range you speak of. as far as rattling the windows, that is volume, not necessarily quality. i use a velodyne spl 1200r and it delivers in a way i really cant describe, it does not have to do with volume, but tones. my entire ht/ 2 channel system is b&w based starting at the 802 series. and there are time when the mood strikes that my headphone rig just knocks the speaker system down, depends on mood, and level of intimacy you want at the moment. with the proper setup they are equally satisfying. but more often than not, i chose my cans over the speakers. and my source in all respects are solid performers. so? speakers over cans? it depends on what mood strikes you.

Ya i know my denon and stuff is not the greatest at all. The first set up was just a high school budget, and now i would consider the pioneer as mediocor i do want to add a sub as the next upgrade (rel t-3). And yes you are totally correct that it has to be proper tones what i call real bass, not this mid bass crap. It is hard to find real bass, but when you do its unbelieveable. As for volume on the krell system, most of the time its kept around 50-60 and it can go all the way to 110 i believe.

I am impressed with ur system, i dont think i could do headphone if i had that. What draws you to your headphones?

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya i know my denon and stuff is not the greatest at all. The first set up was just a high school budget, and now i would consider the pioneer as mediocor i do want to add a sub as the next upgrade (rel t-3). And yes you are totally correct that it has to be proper tones what i call real bass, not this mid bass crap. It is hard to find real bass, but when you do its unbelieveable. As for volume on the krell system, most of the time its kept around 50-60 and it can go all the way to 110 i believe.

I am impressed with ur system, i dont think i could do headphone if i had that. What draws you to your headphones?

please excuse me if i came of harsh, i do that sometimes, but to answer your question it is just a matter of mood, my system is very dynamic, i have had a very large variety of source and speakers in house it has been my hobbie, buying, selling and listening since i could really afford to enjoy it in this manner. but getting up close and personal is just more of a reality with a good set of cans and good amplification, you really can hear more intimate passages when the distance sound has to travel is reduced. the subtle nuances are lost to air, or other factors in your house, that dont allow the sound to propagate. when you can build your system bit by bit, and if possible learn what you want, than do searches, and review everything before you buy, by that i mean do online reviews, merely type in what you are interested in, and add the word reviws as the last word and lie majic you have numerous hits on other just like us who own the product, or industry professionals who tell you their impressions, and add it all together, than go to craigs, ebay, head-fi, klipsch, so many sites where you can build your dream system at a fraction of the price, it an addicting hobbie.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #20 of 36
as far as the sub my velodyne feels like it is lifting the couch off the floor during very low lfe passages, and it is very slightly audible, and my neighbors can feel the floor rumbling 3 townhouses down, so i keep watch for when they are home to get really low. all in all the lower bass is so cool adds so much to music or movies

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 36
No i didnt take it as harsh, i like anyones opinon. But i do see your point on being close to the music. As for buying equipment i only like to actually hear it or talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. I dont really trust peoples opinons on the internet because most people are idiots, now i do like reviews but with a grain of salt.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No i didnt take it as harsh, i like anyones opinon. But i do see your point on being close to the music. As for buying equipment i only like to actually hear it or talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. I dont really trust peoples opinons on the internet because most people are idiots, now i do like reviews but with a grain of salt.

its like anything else in life, take what you can use, its all there for you. i see and hear so many opinions here, and everywhere, and to me i just ask myself, how can that possibly be, can they really believe this, and than i remember that we are all different, some peoples junk is others treasures you know. there is truth, and opinion. but opinion is a good starting point.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There, fixed it for ya.

Fail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you 10cm from the plasma?
oh speakers > headphones.

Shot at f/8 of my friend playing 10 feet away, the plasma is 50", lack of depth of field makes it look like it's really close.

And no, Headphones >> than Speakers now for me. I'd need to spend $1.5Million dollars to even come close. (note that $1.4Million would be for the house and theater room I'd need to enjoy it)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaker rigs sure can well surpass headphones and sound just 'magic'.
It is no easy or cheap task though. First of all you need a suitable listening (5x7 meters or so), acoustic damping, and not to forget the speakers and electronics to feed them.

Because of that, and the lack of intimacy I prefer headphones.
smile.gif

Yes, and the house required to house that room. I live in a small condo, so even though I already have a speaker set up complete with kick ass servo sub, I can't use it really at all due to neighbors. Even if I could use it, I prefer the Smyth Realiser system with the JH13's. They really do sound THAT great. Of course, I profiled a professional 7.1 Mastering studio in Hollywood.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #24 of 36
So it really just comes down to whether you have the room for the speakers or not!
o2smile.gif
It is certainly true in my case. I used to live in a Victorian brick built house in London and hardly ever listened to headphones. Now I am in California and seldem listen to my 2 channel system through my Proacs. We still use other speakers everyday for tv and movies- something you can share with the rest of the family. When it comes to music listening, I don't have a choise most of the time, it has to be headphones.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #25 of 36
Is it just me that want LESS bass with speakers then with headphones? With the headphones I have it´s okay since the bass is super tight and goes lower too. Sub with my speakers I just use to subconciously make the sound appear fuller with more body rather then actually hearing the sub that much. It will still make itself known when called upon. Of course for speakers it´s nice to crank up the volume but I am too careful about my hearing go all crazy like that. It´s really not worth it and 85 db is plenty even for movie watching.

But then for movies and such I always run my LFE which is like running 20 subs or something I suppose if you crank it up. I don´t need to crank my subs up to get the physical feeling I get the sound from them and the feeling from the transducer.

I am still torn for me the speakers have the big soundstage but are seldom intimate... They are also less detailed and more forgiving as a result. But it´s a bit annoying not hearing everything like you are used to even though when they play they do nothing wrong and get the main picture right regardless of what I throw at them.

Now if I had a much larger and better room I would probably like them even more but it´s a bit fifty-fifty. If I want the best mid range or hear every little detail I go for my headphones. If I just want the biggest soundstage and don´t want to worry about distortion and such I go for my speakers

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and the house required to house that room. I live in a small condo, so even though I already have a speaker set up complete with kick ass servo sub, I can't use it really at all due to neighbors. Even if I could use it, I prefer the Smyth Realiser system with the JH13's. They really do sound THAT great. Of course, I profiled a professional 7.1 Mastering studio in Hollywood.
biggrin.gif

That's the big problem with a proper speaker setup. You can't do it if you live in a condo (I'm currently in a condo as well) or town house or similar home. You also can't do it in places where the homes are built crazy close together cause your neighbor will get seriously annoyed when your bass rattles his walls.

I can also listen to headphones at the computer while I'm doing computerish things. Putting a computer in a perfectly designed listening room would harm the acoustics (you can't have a big monitor sitting in front of you without harming the acoustics). So a proper audiophile home speaker setup requires that you dedicate your time to listening and is not as practical as headphones if you're trying to multitask and get other things done as you're getting in some listening.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 36
Listening to Dire Straits Sultans of Swing on the TF10/H140. It really doesn't have that atmosphere of the speaker system, and no "makes you do air guitar" feel.

Also those slamming speakers- you really don't need to mad with room design, "dedicated" hi-fi room with acoustic treatment, just common sense in planning.

One big drawback with headphones if you can't do with with them on, cord, DAP and phones in the way. And with speakers other people can enjoy the music not just you.

yup on money for nothing. Really lacks something not getting into the track, during that guitar intro riff.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #28 of 36
oqvist;5908204Is it just me that want LESS bass with speakers then with headphones? With the headphones I have it´s okay since the bass is super tight and goes lower too. Sub with my speakers I just use to subconciously make the sound appear fuller with more body rather then actually hearing the sub that much. It will still make itself known when called upon. Of course for speakers it´s nice to crank up the volume but I am too careful about my hearing go all crazy like that. It´s really not worth it and 85 db is plenty even for movie watching.[/QUOTE said:
You should never really 'hear' your sub, it should blend in with the speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then for movies and such I always run my LFE which is like running 20 subs or something I suppose if you crank it up. I don´t need to crank my subs up to get the physical feeling I get the sound from them and the feeling from the transducer.

...LFE like running 20 subs?? Transducer?, like those shake your chair bolt on things. I find those to be a gimmick to make up for the rumble bass.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #29 of 36
You can not only hear music you can feel it too. Saying transducers is a gimmick is like saying speakers is a gimmick
smily_headphones1.gif
Transducers is actually a form of speakers. They work the exact same way with vibrations.

As always you have to set them up correctly with the rest of your system.

Speaking of speakers I was to my brother with my PS 3 to try out some bluray... Man did I have that room and that speakers there would not even be a question which I would preferr. He is talking about borrowing my sub but well he has 4 8" drivers in total on his floor standers. But the amazing thing is that the treble could shake the room just as well as those lol... All while still sounding perfectly balanced and no boom or anything anywhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #30 of 36
Ham Sandwich - that's what laptops are for!
smily_headphones1.gif
Pairing the MacBook with speakers makes me happy.

Oqvist - tight, headphone-like bass is certainly available with speakers. My Quads won't shake the walls, but their bass is nice and tight the same way the HD-800 is. You can get similar performance from other planars. You'll get that delicious dipole soundstage, too, and the neighbors won't get upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back