Speakers needed, €300 max.
Nov 18, 2019 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sponsor

100+ Head-Fier
I have a budget of about €300 for some speakers for my computer. Focus is on clarity for music/movies/games with enough bass to give a good feel to movies and games, but not overpowering enough to cloud the dialogues.
Also for music, preference is old rock, so a lot of high end cymbals and screeching guitars.

Confused between a 2.1/5.1/bookshelf/tower setup, what should I go for? Should be available in Germany if possible.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 14
Check out the website AVforum, website is located in the UK, should be able to point you to the best deals in Europe.
For best clarity, a pair of studio monitors (self-powered speakers).

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 14
I have a budget of about €300 for some speakers for my computer. Focus is on clarity for music/movies/games with enough bass to give a good feel to movies and games, but not overpowering enough to cloud the dialogues.
Also for music, preference is old rock, so a lot of high end cymbals and screeching guitars.

Confused between a 2.1/5.1/bookshelf/tower setup, what should I go for? Should be available in Germany if possible.

Hi @sponsor,

I suggest Kali Audio LP-6, try Thomann.

Hard to get better at that price for what you're looking for though the LP-8 (I have this) & incoming IN-8 (Haven't tried but most affordable 3 Way I know of) are worth considering if you can stretch your budget.

Demo is the best way to know.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Check out the website AVforum, website is located in the UK, should be able to point you to the best deals in Europe.
For best clarity, a pair of studio monitors (self-powered speakers).

Got it, have posted in AVForums, still waiting for any replies. :expressionless:

Hi @sponsor,

I suggest Kali Audio LP-6, try Thomann.

Hard to get better at that price for what you're looking for though the LP-8 (I have this) & incoming IN-8 (Haven't tried but most affordable 3 Way I know of) are worth considering if you can stretch your budget.

Demo is the best way to know.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

These look good, I'd see if I can stretch the budget to get a pair of these.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Got it, have posted in AVForums, still waiting for any replies. :expressionless:

These look good, I'd see if I can stretch the budget to get a pair of these.

Definitely well worth it, @sponsor, I highly doubt you'll regret it but try to demo just to be sure.
Also, if you can stretch for the LP-8, it will give you a more full range sound due to cabinet size than the LP-6...simple physics though keep in mind, these monitors are not for sub or even mid bass but will accurately reproduce all frequencies your media has.

If you need any more help, happy to help more.

As a final note, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting an answer on AVF any time soon...or a helpful one...

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Definitely well worth it, @sponsor, I highly doubt you'll regret it but try to demo just to be sure.
Also, if you can stretch for the LP-8, it will give you a more full range sound due to cabinet size than the LP-6...simple physics though keep in mind, these monitors are not for sub or even mid bass but will accurately reproduce all frequencies your media has.

If you need any more help, happy to help more.

As a final note, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting an answer on AVF any time soon...or a helpful one...

Yeah, AVF seems to be a barren land.
I'd see if I can push for LP-8 (black friday?), but my room isn't that big, so LP-6 should suffice I think.

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, AVF seems to be a barren land.
I'd see if I can push for LP-8 (black friday?), but my room isn't that big, so LP-6 should suffice I think.

@sponsor,

As said, Black Friday aside though it does help if a retailer near you does have them on sale.

How big is your room? Certainly your choice but just consider the following :

The LP-8 are rated for up to 2.8 M effective listening distance so unless your room isn't a standard 3 M x 3 M room size, as in smaller dimensions, you will be more than fine, especially if it's smaller which actually helps & works in your favour if your room turns out to be smaller than 3 x 3.
LP-6 effective listening distance isn't much less at 2.2 M, not to mention, the LP-8 can actually get louder at lower listening levels, not just volume since it goes up to 100 watts as opposed to 80 watts (LP-6).
Either way, whichever LP you choose, you can't go wrong.

Hope this all makes sense.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 14
@sponsor,

As said, Black Friday aside though it does help if a retailer near you does have them on sale.

How big is your room? Certainly your choice but just consider the following :

The LP-8 are rated for up to 2.8 M effective listening distance so unless your room isn't a standard 3 M x 3 M room size, as in smaller dimensions, you will be more than fine, especially if it's smaller which actually helps & works in your favour if your room turns out to be smaller than 3 x 3.
LP-6 effective listening distance isn't much less at 2.2 M, not to mention, the LP-8 can actually get louder at lower listening levels, not just volume since it goes up to 100 watts as opposed to 80 watts (LP-6).
Either way, whichever LP you choose, you can't go wrong.

Hope this all makes sense.

The room is bigger than 3m x 3m, but the distance between the speakers and my bed isn't more than 2m, where I'd mostly be listening :grin:
BTW, do you have any experience with JBL 306P? Saw this video, and JBL sounds a tad bit fuller than LP-6 here (youtube compression, though both sound very similar on every song):

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 14
Look into the Klipsch powered monitors too. Everyone who has reviewed them has gone apeshit over them. Especially the RP series. Would probably be cheaper to get their passive speakers and a cheap 25w per channel stereo amp, Klipsch are highly efficient so 25w would be more than enough.
Only thing is Klipsch night demand more of a premium price in the EU but honestly they’re a big enough brand I’m sure they’re available over there too.
Don’t sleep on Klipsch, they are universally loved by those that own them or have reviewed them. They’ve really set the audio world on fire the last couple years.

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 14
Is your room treated for speakers? I was doing some speaker research myself recently and just about every experienced opinion on the matter seemed to think it was essentially a waste of money to buy quality speakers and put them in an untreated room and that even minimal treatment could make for big improvements with cheaper speakers.

Maybe I just ventured too far into opinions from audio perfectionist land, but it's something to think about budget-wise at least. (anyway if I can piggyback on this thread, any suggestions for OK small speakers for desktop/nearfield listening in a small untreated room would be appreciated)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 14
Is your room treated for speakers? I was doing some speaker research myself recently and just about every experienced opinion on the matter seemed to think it was essentially a waste of money to buy quality speakers and put them in an untreated room and that even minimal treatment could make for big improvements with cheaper speakers.

Maybe I just ventured too far into opinions from audio perfectionist land, but it's something to think about budget-wise at least. (anyway if I can piggyback on this thread, any suggestions for OK small speakers for desktop/nearfield listening in a small untreated room would be appreciated)
I’ve personally never done any room treatments. But I do listen in a carpeted room that’s full of furniture and a large leather couch.

So long as your room isn’t full of reflective surfaces you shouldn’t have to do too much. If it’s got hardwood floors then you’ll need to at least put a large rug down.

Nov 25, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 14
The room is bigger than 3m x 3m, but the distance between the speakers and my bed isn't more than 2m, where I'd mostly be listening :grin:
BTW, do you have any experience with JBL 306P? Saw this video, and JBL sounds a tad bit fuller than LP-6 here (youtube compression, though both sound very similar on every song):

Hi @sponsor,

As said, you should be more than fine for listening distance which is confirmed since you say yourself shouldn't be listening more than that but it's good to keep effective listening distance in mind regardless.

No, I haven't heard the JBL 306P.
Unfortunately, JBL isn't big where I am, especially their pro gear nor do I like JBL overall for various reasons but that is my preference.

Honestly, @Sponser, don't gauge audio gear by Online Sound Demos as 99% of the time, most gear doesn't sound their best by any means, most audio reviewers / show reports don't have the faintest idea on how to mic things properly either if it's at a live event or for YT.
I have heard gear in real life Vs YT (the same gear) & definitely there is no comparison.
At least you understand YT has compression issues not great for audio overall.
This also doesn't factor in whoever edited the video may have altered the sound in some way or not, it all depends.
Not to mention, unless someone really cranks the volume on that pricey audio gear, lapel mics aren't going to tell the difference between $ 500 speakers vs $ 50 K speakers & even then physics will still have something to say about it.
Even some microphones won't be able to pick up sound accurately either for a recording.
Price isn't an indication either, I have heard pricey speakers which sound like utter crap compared to speakers, both powered & passive which often sound better with fuller range across the FR, better clarity & impact.

Speakers, similar to headphones, also need good gear synergy.

In closing, the best thing you can do to really decide is go for a demo.
That is perhaps the best advice I can give you.

Nov 25, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 14

@Raketen,

Honestly, it all depends on you & the main space you listen in.

As @CoryGillmore stated, minimal to no treatment is all that's really needed, as it really is subjective to environment.
Furniture does also help mitigate reflections & echo as do carpet, rug, etc
Wall art or framed pictures can also act as affordable good wall treatment too.
But if you do want to look into acoustic treatment, inexpensive to affordable is simply get some rock wool or thick foam, mount them in frames & they should do the same job as any pricey &/or fancy acoustic treatment.

For example, my main listening space is carpeted over a basic wooden floor with the only significant furniture being a mattress in the corner which unintentionally acts as a very large base trap.
The walls are untreated with a large double window with wooden shutters on one side.
Even without the mattress, there is still no reflection or echo.

I have several speaker pairs (Active & Passive) set up in a pesudo surround style array which is definitely unconvential & would go against most norms.

Genelec 8010
Beside & slightly behind me but facing forward

Kali LP-8
Front Facing sitting on my current desk but
Left speaker is slightly blocked by a mini PC & vertical monitor.
Right speaker is almost completely blocked by horizontal monitor.
Neither is turned to face me at where I usually sit which is at the centre behind the desk.

PMC DB1 Gold
On a shelf in front of the large double window facing across the room.

None of my speakers are aimed at me though at any point, I can be in the path of how the sound travels.
Also, all speakers can either be controlled independantly or from where I usually sit at the desk.

This setup will eventually change slightly when I change the table & PC but otherwise will remain largely the same.
I have used this setup for 3+ years.

Hope this gives you some idea how a space can be set up for speakers.

Basically, when it comes down to it, as long as your space sounds good to you, then you've done it right & really that's all that matters.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks a lot @PaganDL and others, finally got them delivered.

BLicxcd.jpg

Now need cables to set them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back