Speakers for 5 watt Glow Audio One
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SmoothSound

New Head-Fier
I have the Glow amp that puts out 5 watts of EL84 warmth. I have been tossing the idea around of building an enclosure for fostex fe208 @ 96db but I would prefer a bookshelf sized speaker. Are there any decent bookshelf speakes that will produce as close to a full range sound as possible. It will be in a ( kinda nearfield setup ) approximately 8ft max.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 7
worth a look if you can find a pair tannoy system 600

large-Slide1.jpg

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Look at these, you might find one that fits your needs. Building a big horn for fullrange speakers is well documented on the web, but a small box, that sounds good is harder to find. I have a pair of these - recommended.

Tektondesign,HiFi,Theater,Loudspeakers,(801)836-0764

I have some of the fullrange 4.5s

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't know if they'd be too big, but you might want to consider a pair of ESS AMT speakers. In August, I picked up a pair of vintage AMT-1 speakers and have been in Nirvana since... still listening to headphones, but these take up a lot of listening time. I love the AMTs.

I found them for about $300 locally, and they're plenty sensitive for your amp. IIRC, about 96dB, so 5W will be fine. I listen to them about 10' away and they're fine. You can keep volumes low and the AMTs throw out the most amazing soundstage. As for full range, you won't miss a single thing up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back