Speaker spades pin?
Dec 13, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to build my first cables for my speakers.
Just grasped some Cardas spades lug but still confused about this.
CCMSC1.JPG

Looking at it, I only see one solder pad, so I just wonder does it have the signal or ground? Or I only have solder to one place?

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 8
One of these lugs is for one wire. You'll need two of these per side, one for the + and one for the -. These are meant to be clamped down, one to each of the two binding posts.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 8
They are probably meant to be clamped on the cable, and not soldered.
One for each cable end (+ and -)

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of these lugs is for one wire. You'll need two of these per side, one for the + and one for the -. These are meant to be clamped down, one to each of the two binding posts.

So I just need to strip the insulation of the wires and clamp to the spades, without soldering to them?
It's strange to me because I've never tried this before.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just need to strip the insulation of the wires and clamp to the spades, without soldering to them?
It's strange to me because I've never tried this before.

Yes, exactly. If you don't have a crimping tool, you can find them at Radio Shack or other electronics stores. You can also use a pair of pliers, but squeeze gently. Sometimes the teeth in the pliers can crack the metal.

Crimping is a good way of joining conductors. When done right, the metals actually form a physical bond. If you ever try to pull apart an old crimp, you'll see it.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I think those are meant to be crimped with a crimping tool. You need a quality crimper to make a good crimp. You could solder it, but given the size of the lug, and you're probably going to use some nice thick gauge wires, a lot of heat is needed to make the solder melt and flow.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I believe those Cardas spades are meant to be soldered. The opening at the back is smaller than one would think from the diameter of the collar. All the Cardas spades that I'm aware of that are meant to be crimped have a separate crimp sleeve a la WBT. One wire per spade for + and one for - per speaker. You have to have a really good iron like a Hakko with a spade bit to ensure you don't get a cold solder joint. Non-temperature controlled need not apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back