Speaker Setup <$300?
Jan 31, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 31
Well, I guess the managers at Fry's helped me answer my question. Now it's down to the Wharfedale's. By the way, thanks to everyone for all the help. I was completely lost, but you all have guided me towards the light.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 31
I would probably splurge for some atoms, if I were in your shoes. They shouldn't be bad. I find wharfedale suspicious but for no good reason.

Oh yeah. Yawaonline.com is semi local for you. Email or call them for their bottom line prices. You can get good deals from them on psb and wharfedale, etc.

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 31
There are negative reviews floating out there if you look hard enough. And that's for the Diamond series, not to mention the sub diamond series...

They're usually not direct reviews of the Wharfedales, like a big honking dud review, but more in the line of negative comments in different contexts. You really don't see all that many bad reviews out there, usually lukewarm at worst. It's in the offhand comments where you find the negative opinions.

Anyway, what can you expect from a commercial product under $100 anyway? Got a nice looking cabinet? You already got your money's worth...Good sonics are a luxury at this price range.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 31
Question: In Head Creep's case, would it be a better idea for a Wharfedale Crystal 1/20 + Subwoofer setup or just Crystal 40's (two woofers)?

Wouldn't the 40's eliminate a need for a sub?

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
Getting a higher-end amp would mean that I'd have to either get a cheaper sub, cheaper speakers or go over budget, and so far I can't find a good reason to justify doing that.

As for those Wharfedale's, they're very tempting. At the moment, it's between those and the Polk R15's. And now that I've remembered the fact that shipping to Hawaii is going to be insanely expensive, I might end up going by Fry's after all.

Edit: With a subwoofer and amp, the Wharfedale Crystal 10 and 20's seem like a better choice than the Polk's. And if I understand correctly, the 10's are the same as the 20's but with weaker bass, which would be of no concern in this situation.

If you count the price of a decent power supply for the T-Amp the total price would be quite close to the Sharp and Teac.
Personally I don't like the Wharfedale speakers because I had some experience with their 8.1, it was muddy. I hope the crystal line live up to its name.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 31
Alright, it's down to either the Crystal 10's and a Dayton sub, or the Mission M73's without a sub. I can't find anything except specs on the Crystal 40's, and I'd rather not blindly buy something without reading at least a few reviews on it.

Feb 5, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 31
Just a quick update. I ordered the T-Amp off Parts Express (supposed to restock on March 1), and I'm set on the Mission m73's. I'll save the experience of buying a sub for my car. If someone has a review of the Crystal 40's, I'd love to see it. But until then, it's just a matter of time before I order the m73's.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 31
Alright, I recieved my T-Amp in the mail today, and I just ordered myself a pair of Advent AS2 speakers. Only $70 (including $20 shipping), which sounds like a steal from everything I've read. And the store I ordered from is located nearby, so I should get them by Monday at the latest. In the end, the hardest part of all this will end up being getting rid of my current stereo.

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Alright, I recieved my T-Amp in the mail today, and I just ordered myself a pair of Advent AS2 speakers. Only $70 (including $20 shipping), which sounds like a steal from everything I've read. And the store I ordered from is located nearby, so I should get them by Monday at the latest. In the end, the hardest part of all this will end up being getting rid of my current stereo.

Wow! Those Advents for $70.00?? Let us know how those sound when you set everything up.

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #26 of 31
Haha, what luck I have... I decided to test out the T-Amp, so I popped some batteries into it and plugged in a speaker I had lying around (didn't want to grab 2). Power it up and POP, something blows out. Now I need to call up on Monday and return it, on the same day my speakers should get here.

Edit: Answered my own question. I'm gonna wait about 2 weeks, save up some funds and get the Sharp EX111 instead of another T-Amp. The integrated setup and remote control (yeah, I'm that lazy) are what's selling me on it.

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
Or you can get a T-amp (~$30) with the Polk R15 at the Fry's. (~$60)
And get yourself a nice subwoofer. The partsexpress ~$100 sub is quite ok for the price.
This way you can have all the bass you want.
icon10.gif

get a sub. i think that's an excellent idea. bass is their thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
If you count the price of a decent power supply for the T-Amp the total price would be quite close to the Sharp and Teac.
Personally I don't like the Wharfedale speakers because I had some experience with their 8.1, it was muddy. I hope the crystal line live up to its name.
tongue.gif

i got an astron psu for my t amp off ebay for $15, but that may well have been a rare deal. but you NEED a good psu for the t-amp. you NEED to squeeze as much power out of it as possible, and batteries, well thier just batteries
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #29 of 31
Now I'm pissed off. First the T-Amp's defective, and now the order for the speakers has been canceled because they're sold out. I'm right back where I was before, except now I know that I'd choose the Sharp EX111 over the T-Amp. I'm so glad I forgot to start asking people if they wanted my stereo...

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Now I'm pissed off. First the T-Amp's defective, and now the order for the speakers has been canceled because they're sold out. I'm right back where I was before, except now I know that I'd choose the Sharp EX111 over the T-Amp. I'm so glad I forgot to start asking people if they wanted my stereo...

There is One pair New on ebay, .... to bad you don't live in San Diego, there is a used pair over there, but the dude isn't offering shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back