Speaker Setup <$300?
Jan 28, 2005 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I'm probably moving soon, I'm going to have to give up the stereo that I'm currently using (way too bulky to ship), so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm a basshead, so I'm looking for something that can rattle a wall or two at moderately high volumes. So far, I've found the M-Audio LX4 and Swans M200, but I'm sure there's plenty more out there. The source is going to be an iRiver iMP-550 (with line-out, if it makes a difference), so I'm not looking for anything spectacular. Any suggestions?

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
Since I'm probably moving soon, I'm going to have to give up the stereo that I'm currently using (way too bulky to ship), so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm a basshead, so I'm looking for something that can rattle a wall or two at moderately high volumes. So far, I've found the M-Audio LX4 and Swans M200, but I'm sure there's plenty more out there. The source is going to be an iRiver iMP-550 (with line-out, if it makes a difference), so I'm not looking for anything spectacular. Any suggestions?

Swans M200 is not really a bass-heavy speaker. You might want to have a listen before you buy.

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 31
Isn't the m-audio thing basically one of the logitech setups? Maybe you could save money by buying the logitech version. A faux sub is the only way you'll get close to rattling walls unless you live in a cubicle with 1/16" plexiglass walls.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 31
Or you can get a T-amp (~$30) with the Polk R15 at the Fry's. (~$60)
And get yourself a nice subwoofer. The partsexpress ~$100 sub is quite ok for the price.
This way you can have all the bass you want.
icon10.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
Or you can get a T-amp (~$30) with the Polk R15 at the Fry's. (~$60)
And get yourself a nice subwoofer. The partsexpress ~$100 sub is quite ok for the price.
This way you can have all the bass you want.
icon10.gif

You know, I never even thought about just putting together my own parts. Now that I feel like an idiot, I might be running down to Fry's soon.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

You know, I never even thought about just putting together my own parts. Now that I feel like an idiot, I might be running down to Fry's soon.

Glad I can help.
Also if you can spend a little more, the Teac Class-D amp at JandR or the Sharp EX111 at overstock.com might be good choices. They both sound good and with the Teac you don't need to worry about the power section, with the Sharp you even got a Turner and CD-Player in a nice looking package.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 31
Be aware that the dayton 10" sub is REALLY like $120-125+shipping, so it'll end up being more around $150-160. I considered it back in the day but the shipping really puts it beyond what I'm willing to pay for a budget sub.

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

A word of advice: If you buy your speakers on ebay, you can get some amazing deals on speakers much better than the Polks. I definitely recommend ebay.

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 31
Right now I'm looking at a T-Amp and Dayton 10" sub, which ends up at ~$200 with shipping and an AC adapter for the amp. I'll probably buy the T-Amp soon since it's so cheap, but everything else will have to wait since I need a new deck for my car. So, two questions: are the parts I've chosen so far good, or is there a better combination for the price? And, what's the best pair of speakers for this rig that I can get for $100 or less? I could go over budget for something that's truly worth the extra cost, but of course I'd prefer not to.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 31
As I said before, you can choose the Teac digital amp from jr.com or the Sharp ex111 from overstock.com. These offer more power so you can have a wider range of speaker to choose from.
Also I have heard the BR-1 from Partsexpress.com and it was pretty decent too. But you need some high power amp to drive the BR-1s.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
As I said before, you can choose the Teac digital amp from jr.com or the Sharp ex111 from overstock.com. These offer more power so you can have a wider range of speaker to choose from.

Getting a higher-end amp would mean that I'd have to either get a cheaper sub, cheaper speakers or go over budget, and so far I can't find a good reason to justify doing that.

As for those Wharfedale's, they're very tempting. At the moment, it's between those and the Polk R15's. And now that I've remembered the fact that shipping to Hawaii is going to be insanely expensive, I might end up going by Fry's after all.

Edit: With a subwoofer and amp, the Wharfedale Crystal 10 and 20's seem like a better choice than the Polk's. And if I understand correctly, the 10's are the same as the 20's but with weaker bass, which would be of no concern in this situation.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 31
Fry's is already closed and the polk deal is over. Besides, I suspect they went out of stock much earlier this morning. At least if my local fry's in city of industry is anything to go by. Last night, they said there were only a couple pairs left after I bought mine. I don't know how good they are, I'm only using them as surrounds and I haven't hooked them up yet. Not hi-fi, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back