Speaker Restoration? I get the TLC part, but what about specifics
Mar 24, 2011 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sambones

500+ Head-Fier
A while back, I picked up a second-hand pair of JBL Century 100's, and they were in cosmetically poor but beautifully functional condition. I'll post photos below, but, basically, I'm looking for advice or resources on restoring these to good condition.

The biggest three things are that the particle board (is that MDF?) is deteriorating in some places, the woofers are dingy, and the metal on the midrange and tweeter is tarnished. I imagine the solution to number one is sanding and spray paint, two is white stain, and three is similar to 1, but I want to be really, really careful here.

Feel free to toss in any input you think would be helpful, but here are some specific questions:
1. What kind of abrasive is best to use on composite material like this wood?
2. Are there any good polishes to use on (What I'm actually only assuming is metal) the surrounds for the midrange? 
3. I've read that they didn't help with sound any, but are there any good replacements for the tweeter-surround foam? I was thinking something like the Koss HV-1 pads
4. Can I go wrong with spray paint or stain on the woofers, and, if so, is there a better solution? Something that would just clean them, maybe?

Sorry about the pics, that's the best I could do. At least they give you an idea of the condition.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 5
The drivers look OK. If you want to clean them, get a cheap brush from Home Depot - about 25¢. Cut down the bristles with scissors to make it stiffer. Use that to brush the cones. It'll take off dust without hurting anything.

You might want to replace the grill cover cloth. Antique Electric Supply has a wide variety of cloth.

The cabinet looks like it is painted. I'd spread a thin coat of Bondo over it to fill in any dings and pits and then spraypaint it.

You might want to upgrade the crossovers. Take out a few drivers and you should see it in there. Pull it out and you csn install fresh caps and resistors. Use the same values.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the input. The woofer may look alright from this photo, but it looks really dingy in real life. I'll try the brush thing, though. And that's actually foam on the front of the speaker. The Centuries had this characteristic molded foam for the front.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 5
I wouldn't worry about the surrounds.........they appear to be cloth. I have a pair of Frazier Black Box IIs with a similar accordion cloth surround. I purchased them in 1969, and they are still going strong. I also have a number of vintage AR and KLH speakers from the sixties, also with cloth surrounds, and they are still in great shape.
It's the foam surrounds on most speakers that need replacement.
Here's a link to a thread on AudioKarma that may be of interest regarding the yellowing cones:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170440
GREAT speakers, BTW............congratulations.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back