Speaker Recommendations...
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking to buy some speakers. I'm on a low budget [ahem... student...] so powered ones not needing an external amplifier would be better, but i'd probably be able to buy an older external amp if the speakers werent too expensive. I don't want any Logitech crap or stuff that cheap... I am a budding audiophile...
biggrin.gif
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. In Australia, and i'm looking for a price range of AUD$500 and below, although cheaper would be better, you can also go above that if theres a really good set available. Monitor recommendations welcome as well.
biggrin.gif

Also, I don't care if they are second-hand or refurbs... suggest some old [good] models too...

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 14
Hmm, I would recommend going into a hifi store and testing things out. You may be beter off with a micro hifi than just a plug in unit like logitecs. you could end up with a better sound + cd, radio and other extra features.

The only other option is studio monitors and again i would test a lot out in a music store and then look around and online for the best price but 500 should get you something decent.

If it was me i would go down the monitor rout but add a powered sub to it

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Yer, thats what I was thinking. Any good monitors out there. If their older, may be able to pick them up second hand i guess...

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 14
I have no experience with powered monitors, but I have been through the pain of trying to buy a decent mini system a couple of times for teenage kids, and honestly, mini-systems for less than AU$500 are junk.

IMHO, you would be better off looking at a decent little set of bookshelf speakers and an amp off ebay.

An amp like this, and a set of speakers like these or these.

You could also look at your local hi-fi store (decent store not JB or other such place) and ask them about their trade-ins. If you give them a budget and your contact details they can contact you when they get something decent.

I still have gear that I bought nearly 20 years ago. Just be a little patient, and you can get some great second hand bargains that will last you a long time.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't know if you have an equivalent to Audiogon, but check eBay and see what you can find used. You probably don't want to ship from the US, but Audiogon is a good place to browse used speaker types - you'll see the going prices and you can read up on them in the forums.

DIY is a great option, too. If you might be interested, check out the Jordan JX92S driver and associated plans.

For an affordable new speaker, look at the PSB Alpha B1 (goes to Stereophile review). I got my parents a pair for Christmas and they sound terrific. Pair them with a used receiver or even a mini all-in-one system for a very nice sounding setup.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 14
I once walked into an underground club to discover all these fresh pinewood made speakers. They looked so tacky but they were not yet finished. I was told the price of production and i thought they must be quite cheap but then they turned them way up... I was shocked at much volume and quality they were producing which made me want to get into building my own.

Im a bit lazy and probably not enthusiastic enough to try building monitors though but you could save up to half price of the equivalent branded gear.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Audioengine is the heat in powered speakers. NHT makes the Moo or whatever it's called that is powered. NHT also makes the Classic line of small speakers and they are on sale everywhere as NHT is closing it's doors for now but not for good. Check audioadvisor.com and audiogon.com.

I went thru a lot of desktop speakers over the last few years and ended up at Harbeth HPL3's and could not be happier. My desktop speaker quest is over.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Behringer 2030a, they get bashed a lot (usually from people who have lingering worry from Berry's previous stumbles with quality control) but really sound great compared to anything near their price. The Mackie M5 is a step up from there, but not a huge one. Audioengines are certainly good, but inferior to either of the above choices.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Source is a combination of an iPod,  MacBook Pro and a Pioneer turntable.
If I was to look into making my own monitors, does anyone know some decent kits?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 14
Buy a second-hand integrated Naim amp and some second hand Linn Kans. That way however much you upgrade the source it'd be a long time before you needed to replace the speakers or amp.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 14
Listening room is just a bedroom. They will probably be located next to my computer. Mostly listen to Rock, Alternative, Alternative Rock, Punk Rock, some Hip Hop/Rap and occasionally some Pop. Favorite bands are The Killers, Green Day, U2, Coldplay and The Cure if that gives you any ideas. Source files are all either in 320kbps MP3s, FLACs or Apple Lossless files off Mac OS X [MacBook Pro].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back