Speaker recommendations <$3000
Nov 21, 2005 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
I have visited an end-fi and i was completely blown away by some speaker rigs. I will be looking for speaker setups now. Can anyone recommend speakers at the sub $3000 area? Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
I have visited an end-fi and i was completely blown away by some speaker rigs. I will be looking for speaker setups now. Can anyone recommend speakers at the sub $3000 area? Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

I think it’s great you gave us a price point, but why don’t you give us an idea of what you are looking for? Room dimensions, associated equipment used, type/design of speaker, how loud you would like to play, sound character desired, etc.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 52
I dont have any amps or sources yet but I was thinking of getting a rega planet 2000 for starters and a Benchmark DAC1 for source. As far as amps are concerned i havent decided since i dont know the speakers yet. My room is around 20m^2 (180 sq feet). I am looking for very good mids and tight bass and lush sound. Something that matches my HD650 but in speakers!
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 52
I think you'd be happy with B&W speakers, give them a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 52
I have been looking around and it seems that the B&W 803D are highly recommended. Do you think they would be too much for my room? Would they be too difficult to drive? I was all thinking about the JM Lab 926-936 series. Anyone owns these speakers around here?

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

I was all thinking about the JM Lab 926-936 series. Anyone owns these speakers around here?

I listened to the 926 (or 936?) a few years ago and they were very fine. I'd think most anyone would be happy for a long time with them. They should at reduced prices as they're being discontinued/replaced with the Electra 1000BE line. http://www.focal-fr.com/home/en/electra1000be/index.htm

I'd rather a Rega CD player than a Benchmark DAC1 with them though due to the clarity of the tweeter. Or the Apogee Mini-DAC being a friendlier listen than the DAC1. You're right the Electras are easy to drive 91dB & 8 ohm. Any one of the newer over $1000 tube integrated amps like the Prima Luna Prologue might be perfect for the Electra. Or solid state like the Naim Nait 5i.

Triangle are another easy to drive French speaker. http://www.triangle-fr.com/

A very nice, very easy to drive British speaker I heard recently was by Living Voice. http://www.livingvoice.co.uk/auditorium.htm

Have fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 52
There are so many great speakers to choose from, Focus Audio FS788 or 888, Merlin monitors, Dynaudio special 25th are all excellent choices.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 52
You might want to check out Amphion Xenon as well. I think there was a review in a Greek hifi mag at some point, you might want to check that out as well.

Not very lush, I admit, but I like it
wink.gif

/JF

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 52
I'd step away from the name brands and look for better value and more cutting edge technology from smaller manufacturers and hobbyists.

Check out AUdioAsylum and AudioCircle. If your comitted to name brand products then Audiogon forums are the place to look.

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 52
Stereo or surround sound?

If you were going stereo, I would suggest some local shopping at Hi-Fi stores.

Surround? Internet direct speakers seem the best. I'd look into a Rocket speaker package at av123.com or the Swans line at audioinsider.com or newegg.com.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 52
B&W sounds thin and seems to be missing something, as does Dynaudio speakers. Martin Logans lack dynamics and are colored. Wilsons are pretty nice but way overpriced. Damn I just can't stand those highs in most high-end speakers. I recommend the Salk Veracity HT speakers, pretty much some of the best speakers at any price. There is also this new Chinese company that makes the Orior which are really good. No one knows about them but they sound very nice.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by so_cal_forever
Stereo or surround sound?

If you were going stereo, I would suggest some local shopping at Hi-Fi stores.

Surround? Internet direct speakers seem the best. I'd look into a Rocket speaker package at av123.com or the Swans line at audioinsider.com or newegg.com.

I am looking for stereo at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what kind of amplification all these babies you mention above need? I was thinking one of the Bryston models. Should I get the 2 channel amp (like 4B model) or should I get a 5 channel amp and use it to double drive the speakers (like 9B model)?
confused.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

I am looking for stereo at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what kind of amplification all these babies you mention above need? I was thinking one of the Bryston models. Should I get the 2 channel amp (like 4B model) or should I get a 5 channel amp and use it to double drive the speakers (like 9B model)?
confused.gif

Are you going to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers on stands, or a pair of floor standing models?

To answer your question about bi-amping I would not. I would rather have a higher quality 2 channel amplifier driving my main speakers than bi-amp them with an amp of lesser quality. Spend every dime of your amplification fund on the two best channels you can attain, or spend the extra funds towards a better pre-amp, or source.

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Are you going to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers on stands, or a pair of floor standing models?

To answer your question about bi-amping I would not. I would rather have a higher quality 2 channel amplifier driving my main speakers than bi-amp them with an amp of lesser quality. Spend every dime of your amplification fund on the two best channels you can attain, or spend the extra funds towards a better pre-amp, or source.

I think I want floorstanding models. The speaker range of models is incredible!Nothing to do with heaphones. I can see lots of different companies that get great reviews but the problem is that i cant audition them. Since I am moving to NY soon does anyone have any distributors that they would recommend?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back