Speaker recommendations <$3000
Nov 25, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #46 of 52
You should listen using source material you're very familiar with, and if possible with the same cd player and amplifier you intend to buy. Several sorts of material help; Male vocals, big bands, symphonic, and small jazz groups would cover the ground for me. When you're close to a decision, you should audition in your own listening room. (This implies buying from a good dealer. )

As some above have pointed out, reviews should be used only to indicate what you might want to listen to... Your listening/taste/preferences are yours alone. And a deliberate approach to the purchase can only help.

If this is your first system, a pitfall that many fall into is to be bowled over by a dramatic system; a system that is a bit louder, with bass and treble tipped up slightly will stand out on the demo floor. A bit of a peak in the 130 Hz area or so will excite the chest cavity ("you could really FEEL the bass"). Such a system is very difficult to live with over the long term.

Listening to live acoustic music can help, as unamplified instruments can be used as a "transfer standard'" since their sound is consistent; electronic instruments are not, since their sound can be changed by turning a knob.

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #48 of 52
Have you ever considered buying your own drivers and going the DIY route?

The internet is full of excellent tried and tested DIY speaker recipies, everything from single-driver bookshelves to massive 10+ driver line arrays.
I imagine building your own pair could earn you *much* better quality sound for your dollar than investing in commercial audiophile speakers (where much of your money is simply going towards a recognised brand name and marketing).
Not only that but you'd be free to tailor everything to your exact wants, things like WBT binding posts, pure silver internal cabling, your favourite type of real wood veneer, and so on.

Another thing worth considering is the question of room treatments.
I'm not sure of the size of room you'll be using, but you might want to invest part of your budget in some bass traps if it's a little on the small side. Again, there are DIY options around to save yourself money.

Good luck in your search!

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #49 of 52
I just bought in the $3k part this summer...settled on Spendor S8e's...a big step up from the 5 & 6 model that also receive press. The 8's have scale for orchestra where the other two are better suited for folk/indie (which I love as well).

With Audiogon I would recommend buying speakers you can pick up. Like a turntable, I wouldn't spend that kind of money without knowing the shipper knew how to pack it well!

The only speaker I wish I heard prior to buying would be Sr 4 Jr as well...though I have no regrets with the Spendors...finally a speaker I will keep for years! I too am an HD650 listener....

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
Anyone ever auditioned Von Schweikert speakers? It seems that they are getting some very good reviews and can be found in Audiogon. Whatever I get is going to used since the prices are much lower than brand new and I dont care about having completely new speakers. BTW what should I be looking for when buying used speakers? Are there any watchouts?

If you are going to go with "traditional" (average sensitivity) speakers with traditional amps (high power SS, maybe tube), yes, Von Schweikert VR4Jr is the speaker to beat in that price range.

High resolution combined with richness and warmth. Excellent punch and wallop for rock or symphonic music, even rap. The bass extension out of those small drivers and box is unbelievable as well as seamless integration of the drivers. Frankly, VR4Jr's make many $7-10K speakers sound like they are college student garage projects.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #51 of 52
Sounds like amazing speakers!!! I need to find a way to audition them. I can see these running for under $3000 in audiogon.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #52 of 52
Don't mean to jump into this interesting thread, but what are your opinions on electrostatics (Quad, MartinLogans, etc)?. I've read they are great, but most people have dynamics. Why is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back