Speaker Recommendation? Low budget ($80~ish) with decent bass / all around quality?
Aug 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Purebe

New Head-Fier
Hi, I know this topic is a bit vague but I don't really know much of anything about speakers.  I'm willing to do the research I just don't know where to look, so if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some links to some low-end speakers that have decent bass and some nice all around sound (very vague, terribly sorry, kind of ignorant on the subject), that would be really awesome -- thanks!

PS: This will be for a kinda small college dorm room so they don't need to be fancy, but I'd like some that work better than say the $30 ones at walmart.  Thanks much for any help!

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 6
The least expensive good speakers I've heard are the Insignia NS-B2111 available at BestBuy. I've seen them on sale as low as $50/pair, but don't know the current price.

These have something of an audiophile following - there are quite a few mods and upgrade projects for them. I thought the stock pairs I've heard were pretty good.

These will need an amplifier. I'd recommend picking up an old receiver at a garage sale, thrift store or Craigslist.

You can also build a good pair of Voigt Pipes for under $80, if you're interested in DIY. The Melhuish Singledriver Forum has plenty of information on those.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you very much!  DIY might be an option too, hadn't really thought of it...will certainly look into it!

The Insignia NS-B2111 look really nice and perfectly suited to our needs though, thank you very much!  If I can just find a nice cheap amp to go with them that would be perfect, I'll check Craigslist in our area but don't really have the means to go around to garage sales or thrift stores, but that's a good idea too - thanks!

Thank you again, very helpful!

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 6
You might want to check out craigslist.  I seen so many posting from people selling very nice tower speakers because they "just don't have room anymore" 
I got a pair of 15" JVC towers for 60 dollars, and while the sound quality isn't AMAZING you kinda stop caring when the whole house is shaking.

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Am hardly an audio guru but i did up an active/powered  2.0 Edifier 1900TII set up for my niece recently with great results! My bro is thinking of another set paired with a sub for himself  
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.dinodirect.com/speaker-multimedia-edifier-r1900tii06.html?ddse=1900TII&utm_source=1900TII

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

The Insignia NS-B2111 look really nice and perfectly suited to our needs though, thank you very much!  If I can just find a nice cheap amp to go with them that would be perfect, I'll check Craigslist in our area but don't really have the means to go around to garage sales or thrift stores, but that's a good idea too - thanks!

Thank you again, very helpful!

The Insignia NS-B2111 are some fantastic sounding bookshelf speakers. I picked some up this past week at Best Buy after reading up on them here and at other places. I've been more then satisfied with their very balanced sound from my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever. Makes all types of music aswell as computer games sound very detailed almost headphone like in fact while having a comfortable level of bass.

So far my experiance has been to play them for at least five hours out of the box to help break them in and before you know it the sound will expand into the room without having to be sitting in front of them in the sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back