Speaker Pillows
Dec 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

duotone

100+ Head-Fier
Often I listen to podcasts before going to sleep and many times I wake up a couple of hours later with my headphones wrapped around my face/neck.

I'm not expecting wonderful sound quality and 80% of the time I will be using them for spoken podcasts.

Just wondered if anyone had tried either of these? or what your solutions are to listening through headphones at night?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9040813/Sound-Asleep-Speaker-Pillow/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&searchstring=speaker+pillows&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/10285201.html

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 22
I haven't used one, but for that low of a price I would definately try it. It looks like it will have a pretty bad sound quality, but for podcasts and similar things it should be great.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 22
Rip it open and change the drivers
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 22
Pillow speaker modding is all about proper dampening.  And a Thunderpants style shell mounted to the back.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 22
I actually sleep in a cabin bed so I dont have a nightstand.

Will let you know what its like when it arrives.  I'm not expecting miracles for £17 but for podcasts it should do the job.  You can get away with an ok speaker for spoken word compared to playing music through it where you want to try and pick out all the instruments & effects.

Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Quote:
Why not listen to regular speakers? Sometimes I'll leave them on at night.

I think this would be best. I'm pretty picky about pillows, so I would be apprehensive about speaker pillows and their comfort. You could grab a pair of okay computer speakers and just place them on your nightstand or something.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I actually sleep in a cabin bed so I dont have a nightstand.

Will let you know what its like when it arrives.  I'm not expecting miracles for £17 but for podcasts it should do the job.  You can get away with an ok speaker for spoken word compared to playing music through it where you want to try and pick out all the instruments & effects.

Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Quote:
Why not listen to regular speakers? Sometimes I'll leave them on at night.

I think this would be best. I'm pretty picky about pillows, so I would be apprehensive about speaker pillows and their comfort. You could grab a pair of okay computer speakers and just place them on your nightstand or something.

Haha, yes I know. My only concern would be the actual comfort of the pillow.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 22
So I have been using it EVERY night when going to bed and it is great.  With the podcasts it has a warm and clear sound & with my ipod set to about 75% volume I find its the perfect volume, so I can lay close to it (the speaker is to the right of centre) and hear it in my left ear or roll onto my other side and the volume is still fine for my right ear to hear whats being said.

And no, you cannot feel the speaker sticking into your head when you sleep.

Well worth getting and highly recommended! If it was double the price after getting used to it I would go out and buy one.

Perhaps in the future they will start getting more technical with them, like having 2 speakers, perhaps wireless options...who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back