Speaker help
Jun 20, 2006 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dommica

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've been having a problem for quite a while and I was wondering if you lot could help me out.

Having my speakers on a hollow, reasonably thin desk results in an extraordinary amount of loose bass reverberating inside of my desk. Does that make sense?

The obvious answer to this would be to get speaker stands, but I literally have no space for them, so I was wondering if there's any (cheap) solution for this?

-Picture below if that helps at all
desk.jpg

Thanks,
Dom

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 11
You might think about making an isolation plate for each speaker (wood with sand in the middle, maybe backed with absorption material) set atop Isonodes or the like.

It also might really be worth exploring stands - perhaps making some very compact stands built to fit in the space (frees desk space too
tongue.gif
)

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 11
I would recommend the IsoNodes as well, and you should also check out these cheap Dayton isolation cones. I've read that Jahn had good luck with some isolation cones he placed under his Wharfedales.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for all the responses, the kind of things you've come up with are perfect. The trouble is, however, that hardly any of these products are available in the UK, and the equivalents seem to be twice the price
mad.gif

Is there a DIY route here? Blu-tac maybe? lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
You might think about making an isolation plate for each speaker (wood with sand in the middle, maybe backed with absorption material) set atop Isonodes or the like.

Have you got a tutorial or something for this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
It also might really be worth exploring stands - perhaps making some very compact stands built to fit in the space (frees desk space too
tongue.gif
)

I really have no space at all, to the left is my pcu and to the right is my guitar amp.. and there's no space for either of them anywhere else

-Dom

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Here's a quick and easy solution that can hold you over until you find a more professional application. Cut some racquet balls in half and put them under the speakers. Hell, even paint them black (if they don't sell them in black) if you don't like blue.

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Here's a quick and easy solution that can hold you over until you find a more professional application. Cut some racquet balls in half and put them under the speakers. Hell, even paint them black (if they don't sell them in black) if you don't like blue.

Nice idea, I'll try and pick some up this weekend
biggrin.gif

...I'm sure I saw somebody's setup with a tonne of them
And I presume Racquetball is the American equivalent of squash?

Oh and also, I'm not in too much of a hurry as at the moment I have no speakers
mad.gif
. I managed to blow the tweeters, but luckily I'm getting the 902's replaced and upgraded to the 902i's, thanks to the lovely people at Richer Sounds
biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Dom

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Have you got a tutorial or something for this?

I really have no space at all, to the left is my pcu and to the right is my guitar amp.. and there's no space for either of them anywhere else

-Dom

Sorry, don't have one on hand (I'm terrible at finding links) but I think that people in this form have linked to various versions - basically take a board, add edges (to make a box without a top) then in between the bottom and top add material of choice (sand, lead shot, innertube, racketballs, etc.). To really go crazy add isonodes or cone stabilizers, etc. to the bottom. Even without going full blown DIY one could find various boxes to open and tweak.

Good luck

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Hey, mount the speakers on the wall. You've got plenty of room. You should be able to find some wall brackets or DIY some with common materials from the hardware store.

Personally, I'd DIY them with some L brackets and use some heavy rubber washers between the L bracket and the wall.

If you try this, be sure to locate the studs in the wall and mount on those. You won't want the speakers falling on you.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 11
A very cheap and easy solution that might bring you some better sound would be to Blu-Tack the bottoms of the speakers to the desk. This may reduce some of the resonating, and it should not hurt the speakers. Kind of a poor-mans spiking.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 11
Once again, thanks for all the advice.
I'm thinking I go all out on the DIY route; speakers on top of an isolation plate with some blu-tac in between and then this rests on the racquet balls
...If this doesn't make an improve then I'll be damned
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, one more thing, with the raquet balls, does it matter which way round you put them? i.e the curved or the cut off part resting on the desk?

-Dom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back