Speaker Amps
Nov 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

impedelikeaboss

New Head-Fier
I would like to build a speaker amp to run my two speakers.

I have 2 Pioneer speakers. Here are the details:

Pioneer model CS-G301WA
Frequency Range: 35~20k (Hz)
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Rate Power: 40 W
Max Music Power: 120 W

I'd like to wire them in parallel and build and amp for them. I know how to solder and I have basic electronic knowledge.

I asked some people about diy speaker amps and they gave me very vague answers and told me to look up class-D amps and instrumentation amps. I've also done a lot of googling but that gives me lots of results for headphone amps and iPod amps. I'm pretty much lost right now. I decided to do this to learn about audio and electronics, so I'm up for something challenging.

What type of amp should I build? What would be the specifics about things like power supplies and input channels and the like?
What would you recommend?

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 9
I looked at that page, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I didn't know which one to choose.

I don't know what type of amp to build. I'm new to amps in general.

For those 2 speakers, what should the power output of the amp be? If I wire the speakers in parallel, would I need to build a 3 Ohm amp for it? I'm clueless.

Edit: Also, I'm not really looking for a kit. I sort of want to build the entire thing myself so I'll be able to hack on it later.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I looked at that page, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I didn't know which one to choose.

I don't know what type of amp to build. I'm new to amps in general.

For those 2 speakers, what should the power output of the amp be? If I wire the speakers in parallel, would I need to build a 3 Ohm amp for it? I'm clueless.

Edit: Also, I'm not really looking for a kit. I sort of want to build the entire thing myself so I'll be able to hack on it later.

I think what he's saying is that this is a headphones forum and speakers aren't really what we do here.

Granted, our beloved B22 amplifier will also do speakers (and its older brother, the B24, is designed exclusively for speakers I believe), those amps are quite difficult to build and are probably beyond the range of an inexperienced builder's first project (unless you happen to be an electrical engineer
smily_headphones1.gif

Places like diyAudio are more geared towards general audio.

However, if you'd like to partake in building some headphone amplifiers, we'd be happy to help.  The big starting points here are first a cmoy and then the Mini3.  Good luck.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Unfortunately, I'm not in a big need for headphone amplifiers. I'll ask on diyAudio and see if anyone there has any advice.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm the AI programmer for my robotics team. My robotics team has lots of electrical engineers on it who would be willing to help me out with stuff if I asked them.

Thanks a bunch anyway.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 9
Why are you adverse to kits? What they do is save you a bunch of hassle with casing and layout. There is a bit of an art to laying out an amp - you can't just bundle everything into a box. Further, the case requires metalwork and/or woodwork skills.

A kit takes away those headaches. The layout is tried and tested, you won't have to scrap a bunch of materials while you figure out what will actually work, and it'll look professional when done.

For speaker amps, I'd probably grab one of the Dynaco ST70 reproduction kits. That's a very well-known and popular amp. Further, if you build it correctly, you'll be able to get your money back out if you sell.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 9
You should note that you will spend MORE to build this amp than if you just bought a reasonable used Japanese receiver or integrated amplifier from your local Craigslist or from eBay.  You can get a 50 watt per channel amp for around $100 -including shipping! - if you shop around.  You can't build a high-quality amp for this little money.  

For example, on eBay right now is an NAD 3225PE integrated amp for $45 "buy it now" + $15 shipping!  So, for $60 you have all the power those Pioneer speakers need, PLUS a preamp with a decent FET phono stage!  NAD products of this vintage tend to sound pretty good, a cut above the Pioneer / Sansui / Kenwood products in this range.  For $60, you really can't build very much.  The chassis alone could cost more. 

But if you are determined to build something, there are lots of nice PCB's for small / moderate size amps on ebay.  You can buy a PCB for a good quality class A amp and then  order the parts from Digi-Key or Mouser.  This would give you experience in navigating parts purchase.

I have had good luck buying stuff from Jim's Audio, which is an eBay "store" -  http://stores.ebay.com/jims-audio-store

For example, they have a design for a 25 watt / channel class A amp similar to Mark Levinson designs, see eBay item# 320385762535.  You can buy the PCB from them and build it yourself.  25 watts / side would probably sound nice on your Pioneer speakers which are probably pretty efficient (i.e., they don't need much amplifier power to play loud.)

"Class A" is a technical description of  a certain kind of amplifier that typically has somewhat lower distortion than other types.  Class A amplifiers are often thought of as a "better" amp design, more or less. (Your mileage may vary - there are some very good Class AB amps out there!  And there's always class D and other switching amps.)

The class A amp would also work nicely with your NEXT pair of speakers, too, which may be more revealing than these Pioneers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back