speaker amp
Mar 7, 2008 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

denden88

Head-Fier
Is there a reasonably priced DIY speaker amp out there that I can build to power a set of bookshelves? My budget is around 200.

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Sorry if this is too techy but I would buy a used Hafler DH-220 or similar and refurbish the amp with whatever is required. I have repainted the heatsinks, rewired the chassis, replaced the panel hardware (fuseholders, jacks, switches, etc.) and actually replaced parts of the chassis (in one unit) to rejuvinate these excellent vintage units. Just a suggestion for the experienced DIY person.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 10
These sites had some interesting schematics:

ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics

Audio Schematics

I think the GainClone is listed in the first link. It is an opamp based speaker amplifier that I've heard some good hearsay evidence about. I know at least one headfier that speaks well of it. I've not seen, heard or built any of these yet. Speaker amps are future projects, so I'm just collecting links.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with the amp10 from 41hz. Perhaps I'll use it to make my new polk bookshelves active or stick it in the same enclosure with a dac 301. Or with a mini3 as a preamp. Gunna need a three sided coin to flip.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 10
I've looked into National Semiconductor's LM4780. The datasheet is fairly exhaustive and I'll probably develop my own PCB/kit in a few months.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by denden88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with the amp10 from 41hz. Perhaps I'll use it to make my new polk bookshelves active or stick it in the same enclosure with a dac 301. Or with a mini3 as a preamp. Gunna need a three sided coin to flip.

Good choice.
biggrin.gif
I built the amp5 on which the amp10 is based. Great sound.

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustPhilbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the one that I will be building soon:

SymAsym5 - Project

That looks good. Can you get pcb's for this? There is a lot of information on the building thread but I got a bit lost--seems there have been group buys for the pcb, others etch their own. How are you going to go about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back