SPDIF...
Oct 9, 2007 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I just found out that my laptop can do this. Should I connect it to my DAC through this interface or should I use tho good and old USB connection?

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Normally, computer SPDIF output is re-sampled to 48kHz. If you are OK with that then go for it. Personally, I would stay with the USB and a Pico when it comes out.

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found out that my laptop can do this. Should I connect it to my DAC through this interface or should I use tho good and old USB connection?

Just use USB. It won't make a significant difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normally, computer SPDIF output is re-sampled to 48kHz. If you are OK with that then go for it. Personally, I would stay with the USB and a Pico when it comes out.

Not necessarily. It really depends on the soundcard. On most realtek cards you can pick your sample rate. On (some or all, I don't know) X-Fis there is an option which says something like "bit-matched playback" which will allow you to pass through files at their original bit and sample rate.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 10
I have found that going S/PIDF has improved the sound I'm getting compared to USB on my Headroom Balanced amp and DAC. My notebook offers an optical out that can go to 96K. I also run foobar with the resampling DSP to 96K and 32 bit. USB is strictly 16/44.1K or 48K, whereas optical is 24/96K and coax 24/192K.

In the case of the Headroom amp/dac it makes a audiable difference, in other rigs there may not be a difference though.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 10
I just got a new laptop from my stepfather which has SPDIF (an HP DV9000). From a convenience perspective, using the SPDIF is preferable for me, since my Monica DAC doesn't have USB input. I also had trouble with an M-Audio Transit that I tried using for a while having synch issues and occasionally causing painful static. No such problem so far with the DV9000's optical out.

I'm also just using the kernel streaming plugin for Winamp at the moment. Foobar2000 seems too time consuming to mess with for now. Someday I might try tackling it, though.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Try Musicbee supports Direct Sound , Wasapi, Asio  16 and 24 bit depth ,resamples to 48k,96k,and 192k dont need to be an engineer to configure its portable if you want, and you have updates and support in case of problems on Musicbee site.

r

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Try both inputs and see which one sounds better to your ears.

Quote:
Try Musicbee supports Direct Sound , Wasapi, Asio  16 and 24 bit depth ,resamples to 48k,96k,and 192k dont need to be an engineer to configure its portable if you want, and you have updates and support in case of problems on Musicbee site.

r

Looks like a cool player.  I will have to check it out when I get a chance.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Nice necro...

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Actually didnt notice the date when i posted only after. that player didnt even exist in 2007 . ill try and pay more attention next time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back