SPDIF to Analog?
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PatrickT

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Not really a headphone related question but I figure I'd ask anyway!

I recently purchased a Vizio LCD TV and the only output for audio that it has is SPDIF. Now, I would like to hook it up to my amp (which I made myself) that only has RCA inputs (analog). Is there any way to do this? Not only would I have to have a converter cable, I believe that I would have to convert the 5.1 digital audio to left and right analog.

Is there any economical way to do this? The other option is to take the audio output from my dvd player and only use the external speakers for watching movies. Which is what I'll have to do if this other solution is too expensive or non-existent. Although with this setup, I couldn't use my external speakers for something like a PS2 then.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Patrick

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 6
You need a DAC. That's a Digital/Analog Converter. Go look around the Computer-As-Source Forum; you'll see lots of DAC discussion going on. You should find various models at a variety of prices, so you will find what you need. I haven't been into the DAC scene for a couple of years, so I'll hold off on recommendations. However, I can confidently tell you that what you need is available.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 6
S/PDIF is digital, so you need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
Not familiar with the economic ones, but I am sure you find numerous information by a quick search here.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Alright thanks, I'll look for one of those. In my short, very limited amount of research, it looks like a lot of them have a USB connection to be used with computers. I guess I would just need a SPDIF input and RCA output on it? Not sure if they make those specifically for that. We'll see! Thanks!

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright thanks, I'll look for one of those. In my short, very limited amount of research, it looks like a lot of them have a USB connection to be used with computers. I guess I would just need a SPDIF input and RCA output on it? Not sure if they make those specifically for that. We'll see! Thanks!

The DAC does not need to have RCA output. Some will have 1/8" TRS (small headphone plug type) output. You can use those as well, with a TRS to RCA cable (widely available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back