SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Nov 24, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #211 of 356
Your results are interesting. I just think that this combination is probably not optimal, because now you're running two volume controls and gain stages in series, the WA22 being tube and the Aries being discrete op amp solid state. It certainly is a tribute to the Aries that the resultant sound is still better.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect to be honest. I'm going to do some tube rolling soon to upgrade from the stock tubes and see how that works out as well

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #212 of 356
Yes that does seem like an odd choice! What is it about driving the headphones direct from the WA22 that the SparkoS improves? How is that a flavour that the WA22 or the SparkoS alone doesn’t satisfy?

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #213 of 356
Yes that does seem like an odd choice! What is it about driving the headphones direct from the WA22 that the SparkoS improves? How is that a flavour that the WA22 or the SparkoS alone doesn’t satisfy?

At least for my headphones (ZMF Verite Closed), they generally sound a bit more holographic and clearer with tubes. So, by introducing the WA22 in with the Aries, you're coloring the sound just a bit to enhance the overall experience. When I used the WA22 alone, I definitely liked the tubeyness, so when I combined it as a pre-amp into the Aries, the Aries maintained the tubeyness of the WA22 but seemed to add just a bit more clarity and weight.

I asked Andrew at Sparkos about it, and he said that the Aries can occassionally enhance the sound when combined with certain other devices, so it wasn't all in my head hopefully, lol.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #217 of 356
That's what I heard, too. The comparison I'd like to hear is between Sparkos and Pass Labs Hpa-1.

I sold my Sparkos some time back after moving to TT2, tho somewhat regret it. Great amp, indeed.

Me too, I really want to hear the pass HPA1. I’ve had Pass pre and power in my HiFi setup for many years and rate them among the best you can buy.

The SparkoS for me misses the mark feature wise vs cost. I don’t need a preamp but to have balanced inputs I need to buy the $600 more expensive preamp version, but I still don’t get a balanced output. It’s also not quite high enough powered single ended to drive ‘anything’ so it isn’t a be all end all design. The colour screen is a bit naff I prefer a sharp clean single colour OLED display like Burson’s soloist 3XP and I don’t love opamps either. I’m prepared to ignore these things and just listen to it, but no one stocks it I have to actually buy it - same story with the pass labs.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #218 of 356
Me too, I really want to hear the pass HPA1. I’ve had Pass pre and power in my HiFi setup for many years and rate them among the best you can buy.

The SparkoS for me misses the mark feature wise vs cost. I don’t need a preamp but to have balanced inputs I need to buy the $600 more expensive preamp version, but I still don’t get a balanced output. It’s also not quite high enough powered single ended to drive ‘anything’ so it isn’t a be all end all design. The colour screen is a bit naff I prefer a sharp clean single colour OLED display like Burson’s soloist 3XP and I don’t love opamps either. I’m prepared to ignore these things and just listen to it, but no one stocks it I have to actually buy it - same story with the pass labs.
Well he has a 30% discount going now with a no quibble return policy, so now is as a good a time as any to give it a go. If you're in EU/UK, there's a couple of stockists here with similar policy. Yup, the screen is a bit of an oddity. Has a sort of old school feel to it. It's a great sounding amp - musical but precise/impactful - though the most demanding headphone I put through it was a 600ohm pair of Beyers.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #219 of 356
Well he has a 30% discount going now with a no quibble return policy, so now is as a good a time as any to give it a go. If you're in EU/UK, there's a couple of stockists here with similar policy. Yup, the screen is a bit of an oddity. Has a sort of old school feel to it. It's a great sounding amp - musical but precise/impactful - though the most demanding headphone I put through it was a 600ohm pair of Beyers.

Sadly his shop says this doesn’t apply to the headphones amplifiers :frowning2:

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #220 of 356
Sadly his shop says this doesn’t apply to the headphones amplifiers :frowning2:
Oh, that sucks. I remember had a similar sale in the past which did apply to amps (I know because I took advantage of it). If you are interested, I would perhaps suggest dropping him a line and mentioning this past policy. Maybe he'll wiggle....

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #221 of 356
Any opinions on how either the Benchmark AHB2 or HPA4 compare to the Aries?
Hi, I had an extensive audition of the Aries against the HPA4 and they are very similar. I A/B'd them matching volume levels and using the same source and the same tracks to listen, I even 'blind' A/B'd! I went for the Aries as to my ears if was ever so slightly more detailed with better 'air', faster and punched harder. However the difference was negligible and had I not heard them side by side I would have been very happy with either. The Aries is significantly cheaper than the HPA4 in the UK so made my choice a 'no brainer'.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #222 of 356
Hi, I had an extensive audition of the Aries against the HPA4 and they are very similar. I A/B'd them matching volume levels and using the same source and the same tracks to listen, I even 'blind' A/B'd! I went for the Aries as to my ears if was ever so slightly more detailed with better 'air', faster and punched harder. However the difference was negligible and had I not heard them side by side I would have been very happy with either. The Aries is significantly cheaper than the HPA4 in the UK so made my choice a 'no brainer'.

I wonder if the AHB2 would be any different.

I'm trying to transition into a fully balanced chain, including the headphone output, but I only want something that is on par with the Aries in terms of sound quality

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #223 of 356
Has anyone heard the Sparkos with a HEK? Wondering if there’s a special synergy with it. I got a Mainline now which seems to being a certain warmth and mid forwardness that I enjoy while the Sparkos sounds like it’ll be more true to source. Thanks!
Well, I am listening to it with the HEKSE right now, and if you want to ferret (and I don't use that word lightly) all possible detail out of your headphones, the Aries will do just that (I am also using the Morpheus). It also is not harsh in any way, but, you have to love the sound of your headphones going into it, as the Aries will do you know favors nor cover up any flaws if you don't. If SS is the route you want to go, the Aries is outstanding.
PS. I know this is a couple months late, but you might still be thinking about it.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #224 of 356

So I recently got the HPA4, and I have to agree with your assessment. They're virtually the same :)

I'm in the middle of getting an AHB2 to see if that'll be different.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #225 of 356
I recently tested Dca Steath, hifiman Susvara on Sparkos aries amp. Stealth is 23 ohms, 86db/mw, and Susvara is 60 ohms, 83db/mw.

At first I thought it would never work, but aries was more powerful than I thought.

Stealth based on +20db mode (input voltage is limited to 1Vrms) is properly driven from -8db to -2db, and susvara from -2db to +4db.

Personally, I find the treble to be a bit more comfortable than the benchmark hpa4. hpa4. (The bass does not extend as much as it is used with a speaker amplifier.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back