Spacious Cups?
Mar 4, 2015 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ironpanda

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, does anyone know of any headphones that have really spacious cups? So spacious that all you can feel is that pads around your ear.

I've had the Audiotechnica ATH-M50x's and there's little to no depth to the cups at all so I sent them back, bought the Beyerdynamics DT-770's which are nice and comfortable but the drivers slightly touch my ears. It sounds silly I know but it's something that really irritates me and that I'm always conscious about and can't seem to ignore it. I'm going to give the DT-770's a few days to see if I get used to it but before I send a good set of headphones back I just wanted to see if there's any cans out there that are a lot like the one's above - balanced sound, £150 ($230), closed back, but with a lot of space in the cans.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 33
the akg k500 cups are the biggest on the market and requier a big head for a good seal. Great open sounding sound that is fairly nutrall. Hope this helps

NOTE these are £99 right now !!! usually theyre £200 so they are a steal

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 33
  the akg k500 cups are the biggest on the market and requier a big head for a good seal. Great open sounding sound that is fairly nutrall. Hope this helps

NOTE these are £99 right now !!! usually theyre £200 so they are a steal

I think I've got a pretty averaged sized head and I've read a lot of people saying they are very fiddly to get a good fit. The overall size of the headphones and the diameter of the earcups aren't the problem, it's purely the depth of the earcup

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 33
Ah I missed your budget in your first post. My bad. If your alright with buying used you could probably find some in your budget.

Brainwavz hm5 looks like a pretty spacious ear cup. I've never used it tho so I can't say what it actually feels like. Good luck

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 33
I have average sized ears that I sometimes find need more room.  I do a little DIY mod with some craft foam sheets that I cut and use to shim out the headphones a little bit.  I have done this with several headphones to alleviate pressure points and hot spots.  I even do this with my Grados.  You just cut it to shape and slide-stuff it in underneath the pads.

Here's my HD558

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 33
Ah I missed your budget in your first post. My bad. If your alright with buying used you could probably find some in your budget.

Brainwavz hm5 looks like a pretty spacious ear cup. I've never used it tho so I can't say what it actually feels like. Good luck

Yeah I've seen the HM5's knocking around. People say that they have a very strong clamp though :frowning2:

I have average sized ears that I sometimes find need more room.  I do a little DIY mod with some craft foam sheets that I cut and use to shim out the headphones a little bit.  I have done this with several headphones to alleviate pressure points and hot spots.  I even do this with my Grados.  You just cut it to shape and slide-stuff it in underneath the pads.

How easy is it to do this? My only fear with doing this if I ordered a new pair, modded them and still don't like them, I won't be able to send them back as I'm assuming that they're not in their original state. I know the simple answer is to 'take out the foam' but I'm not sure how pads are attached to headphones... are they glued?

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 33
  Yeah I've seen the HM5's knocking around. People say that they have a very strong clamp though :frowning2:

How easy is it to do this? My only fear with doing this if I ordered a new pair, modded them and still don't like them, I won't be able to send them back as I'm assuming that they're not in their original state. I know the simple answer is to 'take out the foam' but I'm not sure how pads are attached to headphones... are they glued?

With the Grados, HD558 and Koss A250  Its a reversible mod... no glue-ing or dis-assembly required.  I personally did not find it difficult at all.  Of course YMMV.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 33
  I think I've got a pretty averaged sized head and I've read a lot of people saying they are very fiddly to get a good fit. The overall size of the headphones and the diameter of the earcups aren't the problem, it's purely the depth of the earcup

AKG K7xx earpads are thicker at the rear to simulate toe-in angles on speakers, but of course there's no sure way to tell if your earlobes will fit. I guess your earlobes are angled forward? My family has the opposite problem - some of us have ears that are too flat that we can't get proper facial recognition-acceptable photos easily (ie passport photos need to have the earlobes visible).

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 33

AKG K7xx earpads are thicker at the rear to simulate toe-in angles on speakers, but of course there's no sure way to tell if your earlobes will fit. I guess your earlobes are angled forward? My family has the opposite problem - some of us have ears that are too flat that we can't get proper facial recognition-acceptable photos easily (ie passport photos need to have the earlobes visible).

Yeah my earlobes are sort of curved so they actually stick out a bit. It's basically the whole rim of my ear plus the earlobe are the problem. My uptowns were oval and quite small, essentially a perfect fit for my ears. If my ears were touching anything I couldn't feel it as they were probably locked in place allowing no movement to cause distraction. But after trying the ath-m50x and dt-770's, I've got a slight taste for better sound (not that the uptown are bad).

The Philips SHP9500 ear cups are huge. Easily the most comfortable headphones I've worn.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they're open back :frowning2:

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 33
  Wanna try doing something like this to your DT770?
http://youtu.be/BCmou_SBCR0
I tried it with my HE-500 and it really helps make the cups deeper.

Hmm, I haven't but that's a pretty good idea. Having said that the DT770's were pretty achy anyway, I didn't find the pads that comfy - quite a strong clamp gave me (for some weird reason) jaw and neck aches. That would go after a while though. Think this would work with any headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back