Space Constrained Summit-Fi
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mwx1010

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking to put together a set-up for an end-game (for the time being...) headphone listening station, but with some fairly specific constraints:

• The entire set-up has to fit in a space no larger than 60cm (24 inches) wide by 30cm (12 inches) deep by 30cm (12 inches) high (including cabling, power etc.)
  • Within this I need to fit a Roon-capable Streamer, DAC and Headphone Amp.
  • My preference is separates rather than an all in one box, but I'm not dogmatic.
  • I'd certainly like a separate amp as I'd like to be able to drive anything I may want to purchase in future.
  • Budget is not the prime determinant of this set-up but rather the best quality within the space. With separates it's something I'd look to build towards over time (the journey being part of the fun, etc).
  • In terms of music I've fairly broad tastes so would be looking for fairly neutral components which let the music / transducers show their own character.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi All,

I'm looking to put together a set-up for an end-game (for the time being...) headphone listening station, but with some fairly specific constraints:

• The entire set-up has to fit in a space no larger than 60cm (24 inches) wide by 30cm (12 inches) deep by 30cm (12 inches) high (including cabling, power etc.)
  • Within this I need to fit a Roon-capable Streamer, DAC and Headphone Amp.
  • My preference is separates rather than an all in one box, but I'm not dogmatic.
  • I'd certainly like a separate amp as I'd like to be able to drive anything I may want to purchase in future.
  • Budget is not the prime determinant of this set-up but rather the best quality within the space. With separates it's something I'd look to build towards over time (the journey being part of the fun, etc).
  • In terms of music I've fairly broad tastes so would be looking for fairly neutral components which let the music / transducers show their own character.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Unusual request... :wink:

I guess many are the combinations of devices which would fit into the space you have available. Out of curiosity, I measured the space that the current setup I'm using on my desk takes and can confirm it would easily fit into your 60x30x30cm.
- Amp: Riviera AIC-10
- DAC: Hugo TT2+M-Scaler
- Streamer: To keep thing simple, I'm currently streaming from my Mac Mini connected via USB to the M-Scaler. I guess your could use a similar solution, with a Mac Mini or a cheaper NUC, for example (if you use Roon, you could actually even use the NUC as a Roon Server and streaming end-point). Or you could consider a dedicated (and compact) streaming device such as, for example, the SOtM sMS-200Ultra (https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200ultra/)
- Headphones: Abyss 1266 TC and Sennheiser HD800s

I'm all for analytical sound, transparency and neutrality. If I understand well what you are looking for, I believe a setup like mine would fit your tastes.

Hope this helps! :wink:

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 14
Unusual request... :wink:

I guess many are the combinations of devices which would fit into the space you have available. Out of curiosity, I measured the space that the current setup I'm using on my desk takes and can confirm it would easily fit into your 60x30x30cm.
- Amp: Riviera AIC-10
- DAC: Hugo TT2+M-Scaler
- Streamer: To keep thing simple, I'm currently streaming from my Mac Mini connected via USB to the M-Scaler. I guess your could use a similar solution, with a Mac Mini or a cheaper NUC, for example (if you use Roon, you could actually even use the NUC as a Roon Server and streaming end-point). Or you could consider a dedicated (and compact) streaming device such as, for example, the SOtM sMS-200Ultra (https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200ultra/)
- Headphones: Abyss 1266 TC and Sennheiser HD800s

I'm all for analytical sound, transparency and neutrality. If I understand well what you are looking for, I believe a setup like mine would fit your tastes.

Hope this helps! :wink:
Thanks Ratephi.

Not familiar with the Riviera but will research it.

Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler combo looks like a winner, plus the TT2 would work with my current headphones before I move into separate amp territory.

In terms of the streamer I have a Nucleus but parked elsewhere and networked in. Looks like the SOtM or one of the Sonore ..Rendu series could be a way to go.

Thanks again for the input.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 14
Dac - Rockna Wavelight
HP - Focal Utopia

The Wavelight works great for relatively small space setup and it's tonality goes well with the utopia. Not familiar with streamer so not gonna comment. Looking at your sig you seem to have a banger of a headphone collection so I would probably focus more on the dac and amp. If you have more space to spare perhaps you can look into some higher end tube amps.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Dac - Rockna Wavelight
Amp - DSHA-3f
HP - Focal Utopia

The Wavelight works great for relatively small space setup and it's tonality goes well with the utopia. The 3f would fit with this setup but you might have difficulty finding this amp at the moment but it is the best I've heard for this size. Not familiar with streamer so not gonna comment. Looking at your sig you seem to have a banger of a headphone collection so I would probably focus more on the dac and amp. If you have more space to spare perhaps you can look into some higher end tube amps.
Maybe this is pure coincidence but I’ve noticed this happens a lot. Won’t be so difficult to find the amp as a nice example was posted just last night...
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/ecp-dsha-3f-ravenswood.1114/
Are you shilling for a friend? The timing is uncanny for a pretty obscure amp like this

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 14
Maybe this is pure coincidence but I’ve noticed this happens a lot. Won’t be so difficult to find the amp as a nice example was posted just last night...
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/ecp-dsha-3f-ravenswood.1114/
Are you shilling for a friend? The timing is uncanny for a pretty obscure amp like this
I have no connection to the seller nor do I have any reason to promote this product. The production for this amp has been put on hold indefinitely due to issues with securing a new metal finisher for the chassis.

I'd appreciate if you don't blindly accuse me "shilling".

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 14
I have no connection to the seller nor do I have any reason to promote this product. The production for this amp has been put on hold indefinitely due to issues with securing a new metal finisher for the chassis.

I'd appreciate if you don't blindly accuse me "shilling".
I mean, these come up for sale what, 2, 3 times per year? It’s not a terrible assumption on my part when one was posted not even 12 hours ago. Anyways I really do apologize for the accusation if you had no idea.

I just wanted to call attention to the fact that I’ve seen this happen before and I think it’s wrong (scarcity...but hey you can get one now wink wink nudge nudge). This stuff is too expensive and too subjective for that to be acceptable. Not saying you are and I apologize for accusing, but there should be some light shed on the practice in general

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 14
I mean, these come up for sale what, 2, 3 times per year? It’s not a terrible assumption on my part when one was posted not even 12 hours ago. Anyways I really do apologize for the accusation if you had no idea.

I just wanted to call attention to the fact that I’ve seen this happen before and I think it’s wrong (scarcity...but hey you can get one now wink wink nudge nudge). This stuff is too expensive and too subjective for that to be acceptable. Not saying you are and I apologize for accusing, but there should be some light shed on the practice in general
There might be people who do it and I know you might mean well by trying to shed some light on issues like this.
But as I mentioned there is no 'if'. I am not affiliated with ecp nor do I have any reason to promote the amp posted by said user. My recommendation is based purely from my own experience with the gear taking into account the OP's space limitation and nothing else. Though I do feel bad recommending something that has pretty much been put on hold I shall remove it from my original post.

To avoid derailing even further let's just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Well, I shill for ECP on the weekends (I'm a full-time Gilmore cultist.)

I don't see a real space constraint, @mwx1010.

So I will only recommend you begin the journey and building with SR1a and Abyss TC. Likely candidates there would be Jotunheim R or HSA-1b (they'll also provide flexibility driving planar headphones rather competently.)

Get the headphone, get the amp right, then build to the DAC/streamer i.e. the refinement.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler combo looks like a winner, plus the TT2 would work with my current headphones before I move into separate amp territory.
It is. TT2 would work with any headphones, AB-1266 included. You’ll need to buy very expensive amp to outperform it and these amps are usually deeper than 30cm.

Although, if money is not a problem. Chord DAVE with Niimbus US4+ will give you even better sound and will easily fit in the specified space.

As for streamer, opticalRendu is the smallest of those that can be called “hi-end”. Just don’t forget good PSU (Farad Super 3 will fit). All other good options (Auralic, Innuos etc.) are normally deeper than 30cm.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 14
I would say Brooklyn Bridge + the US4+ that @Ragnar-BY mentioned

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 14
Not heard before but probably a nice option:
Mola Mola Tambaqui
Formula/Powerman combo

Other options for smaller components
SOtM streamer + txusubultra
Matrix X-Sabre Pro
Headamp GSX Mini

Add on
Puritan power strip
Nice cables

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 14
Mola Mola Tambaqui (DAC and Streamer) (and HP amp for your existing cans)
+ Pathos InPol Ear (Amp) if needing more power for HPs
+ Add Abyss 1266 Phi TC

Done!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back