South Florida Mini Meet
Aug 9, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #31 of 69
I'm in even if the Meridian doesn't arrive. I'll bring my Cyrus and SR-71 this time. I'm definitely interested in hearing the Eastsound CD-E5 (if that's what JP11801 was talking about), probably more than the Meridian itself. Bit out of my league anyway.

11-5 should be perfect for driving down/back on the same day. Glad to hear there are other commitments so I won't feel bad about not being able to stay.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Aug 9, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #32 of 69
BTW since this is turning into a source meet who has a preamp/switch to hook them all up at the same time for comparisons? I think Mike had something of that nature at the last meet. Can we collect some matching interconnects also? Maybe Oz can pull off a matching set from somewhere.

Sony SCD-1, Eastsound E5, Berendsen (I said Behringer before I edited, sorry Mike), Cyrus CD6, and possibly Meridian. Wow what a group.

Edit: Ok that's a lot for one setup. We should have a game plan in place for comparing two sources at a time and switching out later on. For the new guys this might be a little daunting but I'd really like the chance to really formulate opinions other than "oh that's nice but I don't know the system it's in". Since this is a small meet I think we can really dig in and do some listening.

I dunno, if I'm pushing too hard just tell me to shut up and I'll relax and enjoy the company of friends.

Aug 9, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
BTW since this is turning into a source meet who has a preamp/switch to hook them all up at the same time for comparisons? I think Mike had something of that nature at the last meet. Can we collect some matching interconnects also? Maybe Oz can pull off a matching set from somewhere.

Sony SCD-1, Eastsound E5, Berendsen (I said Behringer before I edited, sorry Mike), Cyrus CD6, and possibly Meridian. Wow what a group.

Edit: Ok that's a lot for one setup. We should have a game plan in place for comparing two sources at a time and switching out later on. For the new guys this might be a little daunting but I'd really like the chance to really formulate opinions other than "oh that's nice but I don't know the system it's in". Since this is a small meet I think we can really dig in and do some listening.

I dunno, if I'm pushing too hard just tell me to shut up and I'll relax and enjoy the company of friends.

Shut up!(jk)
k1000smile.gif
Alright, I guess we are a go for Sat. I think I may have mentioned this but we are having a furniture delivery some time on Saturday. For those familiar with my house, the wall unit being delivered is going into the room when you first walk in the house where my big tv is located. I mention this because if it is delivered while everyone is here it will be disruptive for a while. I am okay with it as long as everyone else is. With my luck I will be the last on the list and they will show up at 11pm.

I don't have my preamp anymore. I will see if Oz has something he could lend me.

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #34 of 69
I guess I'll have to miss this one. I've rescheduled my nest Frlorida trip for the 18th-22nd.

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #35 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I guess I'll have to miss this one. I've rescheduled my nest Frlorida trip for the 18th-22nd.

You're still going to Melbourne in November, right?

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

BTW since this is turning into a source meet who has a preamp/switch to hook them all up at the same time for comparisons?

Matt/Mike: I have one of Fiddler's Quintête switchboxes that allows 3 x 2 switching - ie: either 3 in and 2 out, or 2 in and three out (it's bidirectional, or would that be non-directional?) that should do the job nicely. It's what was at the last meet.

In any case, I can meet you at the I-75/Clark Rd Exit (205) on Sat morning and hand it to you on your way past.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Matt/Mike: I have one of Fiddler's Quintête switchboxes that allows 3 x 2 switching - ie: either 3 in and 2 out, or 2 in and three out (it's bidirectional, or would that be non-directional?) that should do the job nicely. It's what was at the last meet.

In any case, I can meet you at the I-75/Clark Rd Exit (205) on Sat morning and hand it to you on your way past.

Gene, that would be great. I've been meaning to buy one of those. I guess I will see how I like it on Saturday, if Matt is able to pick it up.

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 69
The G08 has landed. The meet is on for Sat. 8/13 at 11am. I hopefully will have fiddlers Quintete for the meet. I saw one for sale so I bought it. We hopefully will also have agile_one's as well so there should be no problem connecting all the sources and amps. I will send pms to those who have not been to my house before with the address and phone number. If you need me to provide directions let me know.

Aug 10, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #39 of 69
Excellent. I forgot about those Quintete devices, those will do fine. I'd say two setups one with the Raptor and one with my MPX3 would make for nice comparison stations then we can switch around sources as desired. Also some comparisons of SACD on Gary's source against the hybrid layer or an exact same remaster redbook copy on say the Berendsen would be cool. I know we can pull out multiple copies of Kind of Blue (I've got the latest remaster, same as the SACD), DSOTM, Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room etc. I don't have many SACD's left, just hybrids.

I'll make some EAC rips of good albums and run a few copies of each, then leave them around for everyone to use. If anyone has any requests let me know and I'll do my best. No genre is unrepresented in my collection so drop me a PM.

Aug 10, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Excellent. I forgot about those Quintete devices, those will do fine. I'd say two setups one with the Raptor and one with my MPX3 would make for nice comparison stations then we can switch around sources as desired. Also some comparisons of SACD on Gary's source against the hybrid layer or an exact same remaster redbook copy on say the Berendsen would be cool. I know we can pull out multiple copies of Kind of Blue (I've got the latest remaster, same as the SACD), DSOTM, Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room etc. I don't have many SACD's left, just hybrids.

I'll make some EAC rips of good albums and run a few copies of each, then leave them around for everyone to use. If anyone has any requests let me know and I'll do my best. No genre is unrepresented in my collection so drop me a PM.

Do you think you will be able to get the one device from Gene? I have 6 SACD/Hybrids on their way. Hopefully, they will arrive in time. Hopefully the other Quintete will arrive on time.

Aug 10, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #41 of 69
I've got about 150 SACD's at about 50/50 hybrid to single layer ratio.When I get home I'll weed through and pick some good ones for comparison.Also,I just got 1 pair of the Valkyraj reterminated for XLR,so we can hook both pairs up to the SCD-1 for a little more intensive comparison,if someone can bring a balanced amp
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
I've got about 150 SACD's at about 50/50 hybrid to single layer ratio.When I get home I'll weed through and pick some good ones for comparison.Also,I just got 1 pair of the Valkyraj reterminated for XLR,so we can hook both pairs up to the SCD-1 for a little more intensive comparison,if someone can bring a balanced amp
biggrin.gif

I don't know anyone in this group that has a balanced amp.

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
We'll have to wait about a month or so until my BH arrives then.Gary.

Just in time for the Melbourne meet.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Do you think you will be able to get the one device from Gene? I have 6 SACD/Hybrids on their way. Hopefully, they will arrive in time. Hopefully the other Quintete will arrive on time.

Yeah I can do that if he's ok with it. I was there last saturday, and setting a precedent of weekly trips is fine with me (Orpheus on its way and all
icon10.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back