South Florida Meet Location Poll
Apr 5, 2005 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tyrion

Can Jam '08 Lead Organizer
A suggestion has been made by a member that I hold the meet on June 4 in a rented facility instead of my house. I don't care which way we do it. If we use my house we will have the same space as in November plus I will use a bedroom and our office for quiet rooms. I believe the dogs will be out of the house for the day.

The other choice is to rent out a room at a park across the street from my development. Literally, about 2 or 3 minutes away from my house. The catch is that the room will cost between $35 and $45/hour which would have to be split between those attending. I will take care of the food during the meet. The room is probably bigger than we need but it is a big open space. How quiet it is will depend on the number of participants. The town will supply tables and chairs.

I do not want to rent the facility if there are any people that wish to attend but won't because of having to pay what might be as much as $45.

I want to emphasize that I don't care which way we go. My wife has no problem with us being there. Even if we started earlier and went later, say 7pm. Remember, we will probably go out to dinner after and then to Let There Be Sound for a few hours.

Let me know what you think.

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 19
Mike - if you have time to check out other suitable locations that can be rented for less it will be great. I will look at our options through the internet.

The reason why I recommend a rented location:

* Larger
* Tables should already be there (like Orlando meet)
* Easier to setup and dismantle
* We can start early and end late
* Larger facility will allow for a quieter listening environment
* No pets
wink.gif

* No speakers
very_evil_smiley.gif

* I can organize this space better - your home is your personal turf...
* We can still use your home to store stuff overnight (before the meet) and for stuff like that
* It will be easier to move people and stuff around in a spacious single room
* Your wife will actually welcome us
tongue.gif
easier to setup and easier to clean
* More parking space

Basically - I think this will save time, effort and members will be less inhibited or shy in such a location. I thought the Orlando meet location was about as perfect as it could be (barring the occasional power interruption
tongue.gif
)

Ideally we should have around 20-30 people attending this meet. Let us FIX the location and then we can invite people accordingly.

Waiting for the older and wiser FL headfiers to chime in with their take...anything is OK with me.

gs

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 19
I am checking into other alternatives. I think we should expect that at a minimum it will be $25. If I find another possibility I will post an update.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm sort of ambivalent on this issue, and think that it really should be left to Mike (the host) and Guru (the willing helper). But I'll toss in my 2 cents anyway, even though my vote really shouldn't count.

If the cost were $45 per hour and we were there for 8-10 hours, that would start to add up. Not exactly a huge amount, especially if there were 20-30 people to chip in, but it might bother some folks if only 10 or fewer members turned up and they were all expected to help foot the bill. More importantly, as Mike said, it may scare some "new" people away, and that would be a real shame. Head-fi meets are all about sharing gear, putting faces to monikers for the first-time attendees, getting together with old friends, watching Ray eat a dozen eggs, etc. Where the meets occur seems less important than that they occur, and my fear is that since the Florida contingent is already quite small, the "cost" issue might splinter the group further.

At one point, the issue of charging an admission fee came up in one of the New York threads, and IIRC, the general view was that this should be avoided if at all possible to ensure the widest access possible, and I tend to agree. If it were possible to find a very low cost alternative, who knows, maybe even a place that is free (hey, it's not unheard of), then this would be a good idea because it would relieve the stress on Mike and his family, give us more room to set up, and that sort of thing.

But it's also quite nice that Mike (and family) are willing to host us again in their beautiful and spacious home, despite the fact that I tried to get his wife all wound up about religion and politics right as I was heading out the door!
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif
I think she knew (eventually) that it was all intended as "fun" despite the look of shock in her eyes upon hearing some of my comments... must have been the fruit punch!!! When I explained that I enjoyed taking the opposite side of every argument (back in my law school days) just to see how fired up I could get people, she kind of, sort of, almost understood. She must have, since I'm invited again!
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 19
Sure...you have valid points. If nothing works out then mike's home is perfectly agreeable to me. I wanted to do a better "Orlando" this time...where there is room to move around, spend time with gear etc. without bumping into people.

Yes we have fun before and after the meet...but I would prefer to use the meet time more efficiently. You have the best of everything...I dont...incremental upgrades are my way to the top and I would love to have a chance to listen to gear without something or someone bumping, talking...noise
tongue.gif

Sorry if I offend anyone...I am just trying to be practical which doesnt necessarily translate into being realistic. More often it is the opposite
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Yes we have fun before and after the meet...but I would prefer to use the meet time more efficiently... I would love to have a chance to listen to gear without something or someone bumping, talking...noise
tongue.gif

Sorry if I offend anyone...

Offend anyone?
confused.gif
Hardly! I've yet to be at a meet where there were ideal listening conditions, and I'm in total agreement that it would be best if we had sufficient space to move around freely, and listen in a quiet environment, etc. If that place can be found without too much difficulty on your part (or Mike's part) and is reasonable in terms of price, I'd be happy to chip in to help cover the cost.

But please keep in mind that even if such a place were available, it would still be incumbant upon all in attendance to observe the rules of common sense and respect for one's listening neighbors (more on this later). And the thing is, meets are social occasions, and do sometimes drift into a party atmosphere, whether intended or not. I've also found that even the keenest of all keen listeners like to chat a little in between listening stations (wink, wink, Guru!). So my guess is that the venue itself is less important than the mood that is set by the organizers. I've yet to see it at any of the (now 6, I believe) meets that I've attended, but wouldn't it be possible to -- in a very nice way -- suggest a list of "rules" that attendees agree to observe? What those rules (or "suggestions") might be is a seperate issue, but my point is that your meet can be whatever you want it to be, and if this is done in a nice way, people will appreciate it in the end. This is why I had suggested the quiet room idea to Mike after the last meet, and I think using the bedrooms for open headphones will help a lot. BTW, the noise level at the meet at Mike's house (except for "speaker time") was quite normal, and probably as low as at any of the meets I've attended.

Those are some of my thoughts, and this is not at all meant to be a point, counter-point type of exercise. I'm just trying to stimulate thought in terms of the overall design of a meet. Ideally, we would have lots of space, a low noise level in the listening areas, a "break room" of some sort for socialization without worrying about violating "the rules!", and all of this at a reasonable (or zero) cost to attendees, and in the most convenient and least invasive way possible for the host and meet organizers. And when in doubt, whatever makes the host most comfortable.

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 19
I think brown seats are a good idea. They don't stain as easily as do lighter colors.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 19
The $45 a person was the most it would cost. That was assuming only 10 people and 10 hours of rental. If we had 20 or 30 people, I am not sure they would all fit in my house, in the space we will have available. On the other hand, if we have 20 people then the cost would be $22.50 a person. I just don't think we will have that many people in attendence. I would have no problem with that size group, but to make it enjoyable, I think we would need an outside facility.

I just want to be careful that there isn't anyone that is excluded due to the cost. It's not much but then again, who am I to say what isn't much for someone else. I guess what we need to know is how many people will attend and we need to know sooner rather than later. So anyone who knows they will attend post and/or pm me as soon as they can. I will probably have to leave a deposit to reserve the room, which is not a problem. I will lay out the security deposit, as well.

As I've hopefully made clear, my house is an option. If we end up with say 15 confirmed and people feel the cost is too high, then I am more than happy to use my house. I will throw this out as well, if the consensus wants it in a big open room I would be willing to kick in the first $100 for the rental. I will go back to the facility in the next day or two and take some pics and figure out the square footage.

None of this is possible if people don't post that they are attending.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 19
In general, I second Wayne's comments that the meet host (that would be Mike), and those who are working closely with him have final say in venue selection. I also strongly agree that the most important thing is that there is a meet, period - a chance for the Head-Fi community to come together in all it's geeky, nerdy, golden ears' wonderfulness. A place where we can "let our freak fllag fly" (apologies to CSNY from "Almost Cut My Hair Today").

Having put forth that premise, I would also add that with meet experience comes ideas of how things may be made better, and I believe this is where Guru is coming from. Me, I loved the last meet at Mike's, and applaud his family's willingness to put up with us again. I also thoroughly enjoyed sewerguy's meet at Leesburg, where we had a public room with all that space. Bottom line, though, it's not my call - I am a guest who will be happy with whatever Mike chooses to do.

All the above being said, I do have a suggestion that may solve the problem of paying for a meeting room. I think charging everyone who comes is contrary to the spirit of a meet, and oppose it. Why not have a small group of meet underwriters pay for the meeting room, then, if the host wishes, he can put out a bowl, hat, or container of choice for totally optional contributions from attendees. I would be happy to be one of said underwriters, and will pm tyrion to that effect. If others want to underwrite, just pm tyrion. No need to post publically - dividing guests into paying and non-paying is not what we want to do (imho).

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 19
Personally, I think you should all rent a hall in Hamilton Ontario and have the meet there.
plainface.gif

tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Personally, I think you should all rent a hall in Hamilton Ontario and have the meet there.
plainface.gif

tongue.gif

And I think you should get your sorry a** on a plane and join us in beautiful, warm sunny Florida.

Quote:

All the above being said, I do have a suggestion that may solve the problem of paying for a meeting room. I think charging everyone who comes is contrary to the spirit of a meet, and oppose it. Why not have a small group of meet underwriters pay for the meeting room, then, if the host wishes, he can put out a bowl, hat, or container of choice for totally optional contributions from attendees. I would be happy to be one of said underwriters, and will pm tyrion to that effect. If others want to underwrite, just pm tyrion. No need to post publically - dividing guests into paying and non-paying is not what we want to do (imho).

Gene, I was concerned that the pay per person was not the way to go but did understand Guru's never ending quest for the perfect meet venue. I have already spoken regarding my contribution. No one has to contribute, however, if I get committments to underwrite the cost with me, I will do begin the process of reserving the room. This will give me the flexibiltiy to change it to my house if the number of attendees turns out to be a number that we can comfortably fit in the house. I don't think I will put out a bowl for contributions because that would put pressure on others to contribute that might not be able to.

I have to say the more I think about having others pay for my meet, that it bothers me. It was not my intention to do this but I do understand why we may want a larger facility. Lets see what happens in terms of underwriting. If the support is there, then I will decide based upon the numbers attending where the meet will be held. There is an advantage to my house in that we will have 2 rooms where we can probably fit 2 set ups each for quiet listening.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
And I think you should get your sorry a** on a plane and join us in beautiful, warm sunny Florida.

I'd almost be tempted if I could convince the Wife that we could have a nice vacation there... the only problem is that she is not a big fan of warm climates and hates beaches... so I'm screwed.
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I'd almost be tempted if I could convince the Wife that we could have a nice vacation there... the only problem is that she is not a big fan of warm climates and hates beaches... so I'm screwed.
icon10.gif

The truth is, I hate the beach myself, and almost never go.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Gene, I was concerned that the pay per person was not the way to go but did understand Guru's never ending quest for the perfect meet venue. I have already spoken regarding my contribution. No one has to contribute, however, if I get committments to underwrite the cost with me, I will do begin the process of reserving the room. This will give me the flexibiltiy to change it to my house if the number of attendees turns out to be a number that we can comfortably fit in the house. I don't think I will put out a bowl for contributions because that would put pressure on others to contribute that might not be able to.

I have to say the more I think about having others pay for my meet, that it bothers me. It was not my intention to do this but I do understand why we may want a larger facility. Lets see what happens in terms of underwriting. If the support is there, then I will decide based upon the numbers attending where the meet will be held. There is an advantage to my house in that we will have 2 rooms where we can probably fit 2 set ups each for quiet listening.

Gene an Mike, this is a perfectly rational solution. The idea of reserving the room now and still having the flexibility of moving it back to Mike's house in the event that fewer people attend than we're hoping for makes a ton of sense! I'll be happy to join "Team Underwriters" and don't think there needs to be any more debate about the cost issue (he he.. so much for doing that discussion via PM). In fact, my vote would be to close this thread because there really is no need for a poll at this point (Mike has it all under control). The focus should be on the meet itself and the fun to be had, which we can do in the other thread. Do I have a "second" for closing the thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back