Sources for cables with Etymotic ER4XR/SR MMCX plug variant
Jan 14, 2019 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tigas

New Head-Fier
Hi! I've owned a pair of ER4-P for a long time, until the cable broke at the Y. I completely failed to find replacement cables with the 2-pin plug they used (and didn't think to come here then, because I've been here less than a week and already found several).

I sent them to Etymotic for repair, and they found one of the drivers had developed some distortion and the pair was mismatched. Their best guess was that I may have let them drop and one of them got damaged. I decided then to upgrade to ER4XR, thinking that their MMCX plug would make it easier to get cable replacements (and aftermarket options for headset/mic, inline remote and over-ear memory wire) and then I find that Etymotic engineered some changes to the MMCX connector that solve some of its problems but nobody else uses, and is barely compatible with the regular MMCX cables. I got a headset cable for public transport, and the damn plugs are always breaking contact and dropping out (when I'm lucky), or one the drivers falls off when I'm taking the phones out of their pouch. I already dropped one of the drivers on the sidewalk and it took me several minutes to find it afterwards...

Where can I get plug converters from Ety-MMCX to MMCX, or headset/inline remote with Ety-MMCX plugs?

I'd like to have posted this on the "If you still like Etymotics..." thread (I've started reading it from page 700 after the SR/XR line was released and people started discussing the plug), but it's a lot of thread.

Thank you for the help.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Really? I had noticed him in the "If you like Etymotics" thread, but he's the only source? For real? What would we do without ClieOS?

Being an Etymotic owner continues to be a world of hurt, even with "universal" MMCX plugs. If only they didn't sound so well...

Thank you.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 13
Really? I had noticed him in the "If you like Etymotics" thread, but he's the only source? For real? What would we do without ClieOS?

Being an Etymotic owner continues to be a world of hurt, even with "universal" MMCX plugs. If only they didn't sound so well...

Thank you.

There are several online stores that can build custom Etymotic cables such as PlusSound, Lunashop, Forza Audio Works among a few others. A quick google search using keywords "Etymotic custom cable" should yield such results for you to research.

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/
https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/
http://www.lunashops.com/index.php

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Ahhh!! Thank you very much! I'll investigate.

edit:
So far, only Lunashops seem to even remotely be what I'm looking for. I've found the cable I needed six months ago when my ER-4P's cable broke. I even found one that has an inline remote that works on both Android and Apple, just what I need for public transport.

But now I have an ER-4XR. The closest thing I can find that would help me are the L-shaped Ety-MMCX unwired plugs, for which I'd have to get regular MMCX plugs for the other side, but I'm useless at soldering and don't have the gear.

So, my only source for L-shaped adapters between Ety-MMCX and MMCX seems to be @ClieOS. Oh well, I hope he's not too busy...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 13
What I'd like to find is something like this adapter between UE 2-pin and MMCX, but as Ety-MMCX to MMCX. That would solve the compatibility issues with the whole MMCX ecosystem and I'd never have to feverishly look for someone who has Ety-MMCX options for their cables.
4622_G_1487943629453.jpg As far as I can see, @ClieOS built some units, and even provides a bit of how-to, but I can't solder...

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 13
I think they come from aisian country and ordering them can bit a little confusing.

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 13
In the end, I did ask @ClieOS and he generously offered his services for building the L-shaped adapters that I desired. But really, he's the only one, otherwise, I'd have to learn how to solder - it wouldn't hurt me, but I'd rather not.

Thank you, everybody, for your help.

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey folks - I got in the same situation of breaking my stock ER4XR cable and found it tricky to find a replacement... did the obvious thing and tried a Shure MMCX cable but it wouldn't stay attached.

What I did find and may be an option for others is a few models of extremely cheap IEMs that use replaceable cables with angled plugs - if you search Amazon for "BASN MMCX" you should find a bunch. I got the black non-braided cable with the inline mic/pause button, and cut off the metal wire/clear plastic sleeve that's supposed to loop around your ear. Added the circlips levered off the plugs of a Shure cable, the tiny metal washers with the serrated inner edge, which makes the contact properly secure. They don't have the locking tab so are free to rotate but that doesn't seem to make any difference to anything... have used them every day for a couple months with no problems. Far from a high quality cable but it's a £35 solution :)

The actual included IEMs are terrible and can go in the bin. The plugs are angled but not as much as the originals: http://lewissaunders.com/rubbish/er4xr-basn.jpg

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 13
This is an old thread but has a
anyone come up with a source for Etymōtic MMCX Spec’ cable’s. I have both the ER3SE, and the ER4SR. I used the balanced feed 2.5mm cable on both. My 3rd Etymōtic cable just for the ER4SR developed a short at the driver MMCX end. The failure mode is always the same first the “L” shaped strain relief breakers, gluing it back in place only works for awhile finally it develops a sort, and than it goes into the stash of trashed cables. I don’t really fancy forking over a couple of $100 bucks for a cable. I have a couple of Shure SE-215’s that have cables that are over 5 years old. Surely somebody makes a robust set for my beloved Ety’s.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Jan 5, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Has anyone tried filing down the extra tall plastic collar on the driver side? It seems without that, conventional cables would fit.
If someone has managed to wear these earphones with a curved over-ear cable would you please reply? Thanks!

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 13
I have despaired of finding a useable cable for my ER3’s and ER4’s. I can see no point in purchasing a cable that costs twice much as the earphones. I have decided to set my Etymōtic aside and see about a set of FiiO FA9’s each of the earpieces has 6 Knowles drivers, a 4-way crossover, and as important use a conventional MMCX cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back