Source- Sony DVP S7000 - Do I need external DAC?
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

autosound

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

At the moment, I am using the S7000 plugged into my DV 336i and it sounds very nice. I have never used a dedicated DAC however and would like to hear what some of you think. So here is my question;

With my current setup = Sony DVP S7000 -> DV336i -> Any of my cans,
What improvements will I see if I spend another $200 on a DAC and run an optical cable to it. I think I read that the S7000 makes for a low/mid-fi transport but I think it is the best I can do for my budget and I am happy with it.

Is the built in DAC in the S7000 comparable to the standalone DACs available for about $150-$200?

Thanks All

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the S7700 and use it as a transport for my OMZ and a Sonic Frontiers TransDac. I haven't used the S7700 as a standalone for quite awhile but what I remember was the added resolution with an outboard DAC.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 10
I have a DVP-S7000 that I use as a cd transport when I'm not using the Squeezebox:

http://i39.tinypic.com/21eqfpf.jpg

I think it sounds pretty good on its own, but I prefer it feeding either the Ack! DAC or Parasound because both of these DACs sound more like vinyl, which is my preference.

The Sony makes a really great cd transport because it is sturdy and doesn't make noise. I really appreciate the ES level build quality on this player as well.

One easy mod that I did and you can try with your DVP-S7000 is replacing the flimsy stock power cord. It's really easy (and cheap) to do and there is no soldering required. I just followed the directions in this thread from AudioCircle:

Sony AVD-S50ES vs. Plinius 8200i MkII, and Nixon amps. . .

BTW, I am selling an Ack! dAck! 1.2 and an audio dealer in that thread (8th Nerve) claimed that the Sony DVP-S7000 feeding the Ack dAck 1.2 was "damn close" to his Ayre CX-7 ($2950 cd player). Just something to think about. :)

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 10
I've got a Sony DVD from the same era, I don't rate the analogue out that highly. I'd recommend you use the digital out. A decent modern CDP around £300 will sound far superior. I'd save up money for a new quality CD player, if CD's are your only media type. Or perhaps a DAC.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a Sony DVD from the same era, I don't rate the analogue out that highly. I'd recommend you use the digital out. A decent modern CDP around £300 will sound far superior. I'd save up money for a new quality CD player, if CD's are your only media type. Or perhaps a DAC.

What player do you have? Also, what dacs have you tried with it? thanks.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 10
I havent bothered to listen to my S7000 without a dac.
Read the S7000 is a legendary transport. Dual lasers for video/music and the transport itself suppose to be something special.
Got mine for $60 and the owner took care of it only using it for video.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One easy mod that I did and you can try with your DVP-S7000 is replacing the flimsy stock power cord. It's really easy (and cheap) to do and there is no soldering required. I just followed the directions in this thread from AudioCircle:

hmm I gota try this. Where does this Halex clamp go on? Is this to prevent the wire from being pulled out from the player?

Also here is another thread regarding mods for the S7000
mods to DVP-S7000 for CD sound improvement - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews

If anyone done mods to the power section pls let me know.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm I gota try this. Where does this Halex clamp go on? Is this to prevent the wire from being pulled out from the player?

You place them in the hole on the chassis where the cord threads through. The purpose of the clamps is to keep the cord secure in place so that the conductors don't disconnect from the pins in the S7000.

I actually couldn't find the correct size of those clamp connectors at my local Home Depot, so I just used cable ties like these on the inside and outside of the chassis. It isn't the prettiest, but it does the job and I never see the back of the player anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back