Source question reguarding a tube amp. (Purist + RS1)
Mar 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NoValidTitle

100+ Head-Fier
So I got some suggestions to look into the Purist since I got my RS-1's... But is it worth it to goto a Tube based amp when I use my computer as a source? I currently use whats in my sig. So if I got a Purist I would be using my Headroom Micro DAC > Purist > RS-1. Is the Micro DAC going to be a weak link? I do use ASIO via the usb connection on the DAC, most of my listening is to MP3s (320VBR and some lower) and FLAC whenever possible. I tend not to keep as much FLAC because I have most of my stuff in MP3 to use on my DAP so I hate having things on my drive twice.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 11
There's a few people who can hear the differences between FLAC and highly encoded MP3 but with the setup you mentioned above, there's a chance mp3's would not make it.

A nice setup like this definately deserves the best IMO.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Don't let your DAC stop you from buying a good amp. The MicroDAC should be good enough. Later, you could upgrade. However, your RS-1s really do deserve a nice tube amp. You'll love the sound.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't let your DAC stop you from buying a good amp. The MicroDAC should be good enough. Later, you could upgrade. However, your RS-1s really do deserve a nice tube amp. You'll love the sound.

quoted for truith.

im kind of embarased to admit it, but i bought my omega 2s before i had a home cd player, or a dedicated home dac... the dac came shortly thereafter.

i am confident that every time you strengthen a weak link in the chan you are stepping forwards. even if your "stronger" system only shows that your source sucks, its more information than you got before. in my case, it showed this BUT it also brought more music out of the music
smily_headphones1.gif

obviously there is a point where the chain is so weak in one spot that its own weight brings it crashing down, but you virtually have to try to build a system that bad.

as something else worthy of note: if you get a dedicated amp now it will be MUCH easier to get a dac later. something relatively inexpensive that accepts a feed from your computer will likely be leaps and bounds above your computer, but will not have a headphone out. to go forwards you will need an amp, and the mad ear is sweet with grados.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as something else worthy of note: if you get a dedicated amp now it will be MUCH easier to get a dac later. something relatively inexpensive that accepts a feed from your computer will likely be leaps and bounds above your computer, but will not have a headphone out. to go forwards you will need an amp, and the mad ear is sweet with grados.

well I have a dedicated amp now, my headroom Micro Amp but its hardly a MAD tube amp, and the Micro DAC is obviously also a dedicated unit. I think I will make the plunge, probably after I get back from NH in 2 weeks. See how much weight my wallet looses on vacation
tongue.gif

PS: I love Nikons, I wouldn't go anywhere without my D70s.

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bit the bullet... Purist HD2 is on order. Oh I stil haven't got the obligatory "sorry for your wallet" haha.

Well, sorry about your wallet then. Heh.

Coincidentally, the first time that was offered to me was when I mentioned in another thread that I was going from an iPod to a Mapletree+RS-1 combo too. Oh and that I have one eye on the DA100 as well
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 11
A head amp puts you closer to your source than speakers. So audition carefully. That said, there should be no reason why you can't find a CDP that has a perfectly good Dac + tube output. The question is whether you want to stick with upsampling or go to NOS. NOS is tricky because there are a lot of NOS Dacs/CDPS out there that are highly hyped without much basis, my opinion and some that are excellent. It may be safer and in the long run just as ,musically satisfying to stay with an upsampling CDP, as there are many different CDP "sounds" out there to choose from.

In the mean time enjoy your amp. It's a great piece of equipment. Try some different NOS 5751s, not 12AX7s! Another opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back