Source for under $500 ??
Aug 5, 2006 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

chanwhk

Head-Fier
Hi,

Any suggestion for a CD/DVD source for under $500? I might consider getting a DAC later. but a player first.
I don't really know about SACD, XRCD, DVDA.. etc..... do they really sound better? I heard the source that support them don't work very well..

I listen to Classical the most, and using a HD650 with Xcan v3.

The east sound e3 from China seems pretty good to me..

Any more?

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 24
Are you O.K. with buying used players? It opens your options to a bunch of good redbook and, or, sacd players.

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 24
i would say rega apollo, since you listen to classical music and the rega apollo has very natural timbre! Downside is it costs 800 new. Since it just came out, you won't find em used yet.

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
i would say rega apollo, since you listen to classical music and the rega apollo has very natural timbre! Downside is it costs 800 new. Since it just came out, you won't find em used yet.

The good news is the Apollos are showing up at a pretty good rate used on audiogon already. The bad news is....they are asking 730.00 and up for the used prices.

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
The good news is the Apollos are showing up at a pretty good rate used on audiogon already. The bad news is....they are asking 730.00 and up for the used prices.

You can find Rega Planet 2000's for ~$500 though...

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
You can find Rega Planet 2000's for ~$500 though...

IMO, still the best source buy in audio...The used Planet 2K!

Aug 5, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 24
The Plantnet and E5 both considered to be good for their price?
so which is better? I would like to know too. (but there are too little E5 users...)

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 24
For $500, here's what I'd get:

1. B-Stock (look around) PreSonus Central Station $400.00
2. Sony SCD-CE595, $89 refurbished

The CE595 is both Red and Scarlet (SACD) Book and has digital out for the Red Book. It sounds pretty amazing out of the Central Station; better than $89 has any right to. SACDs sound terrific, too.

Even better, you'll end up with a very good DAC. Plug the other digital input on the Central Station into your computer and use that as a source, too.

Topping it all off, you'll also get an excellent headphone amp and a dead quiet passive preamp.

Doesn't get much better than that, and the price is right.

Also, there are long review threads here for both the Central Station and the CE595. Check them out.

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 24
The PreSonus Central Station definitely seems to be pretty convenient.
But how does it sounds like when hook with the Sony SCD-CE595 compare to Rega Planent 2000?
Also, how good is the integrated amp inside the central station?

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Try one of the VT CD Players from:

Bada,
MHZS,
Jolida ---

Some of these are as low as $399. All great chips with great sound - The tube buffers in these things take away the harshness and let the music through.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 24
chanwhk- they're a bit different. Red Book is a little colder on the CE595 through the Central Station and the Planet (I have the original model, not the 2000) is a little warmer and smoother. For Red Book playback, I favor the Planet/Central Station setup. It's awfully good sounding. The sound quality of the Scarlet Book playback on the CE595 is terrific. Neutral and deadly accurate.

If I had to choose between the Planet and the CE595 Red Book layer on the Central Station, I'd go with the Planet. However, if I only had the CE595, I'd be plenty happy. It sounds awfully good. Right now, I have the CE595 playing only SACDs through an amp, and a separate setup with the Planet and Central Station.

Also, since you're into classical, you might want SACD capability. I read that something like 60% of the SACD catalog (roughly 4,000 discs) is classical. I haven't had any trouble finding the works I want, either. The local Tower even has a fair sampling of classical SACD. In my opinion, SACD is worth it. A lot of the SACDs are remastered versions of the best recordings. So you're usually going to get quality recordings cleaned up and put into hi-res. Prices are $2-$5 more than a Red Book CD, and I think that's reasonable.

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chanwhk
The Plantnet and E5 both considered to be good for their price?
so which is better? I would like to know too. (but there are too little E5 users...)

The E5 imo is much better than the planet. I think you need to step up to the Apollo in Rega's line to compete with the E5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back