Source for Sony XBA-4
Feb 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

djkert

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just got a deal on the Sony XBA-4 and from what I've read it is quite picky regarding the source.  Currently I am going from my Macbook to a Firestone Audio Fubar III.

I am thinking of changing this to either a Sony DAP such as the NWZ-F805 or NWZ-Z1040 or getting a new amp.  At the low budget I have it seems my choices would be Fiio E10 or Nuforce uDac2.

Most of my music is compressed at 192 or so and the majority of my listening is from Pandora.  Since I've read so much about the XBA-4's being picky about the source another options is to sell these and get the XBA-3. 

I am just looking for opinions from XBA 3 or 4 owners as to what would be a good match.

Also, if anyone can comment on the SQ of the Sony S-Master vs a low cost DAC/AMP I would appreciate that also.

thanks

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 15
The first thing you could do to increase the sound quality A LOT, is stop compressing your music so much. (doesn't have to be FLAC but 320 kbs sure sounds really better imo)
Also I don't think that the E10 is any better than the amp you have right now. Not sure about the Nuforce.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't so much mind the compression.  I am using the FUBAR/Koss DJ100 combination now streaming Pandora and I don't really notice it.  Mainly, I am just looking for strong bass, good soundstage, balanced sound.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 15
I recently purchased the XBA-40, just a week after getting the JVC FXZ200, and I have to admit I am absolutely amazed by the SQ of this iem but build quality is quite disappointing. More surprisingly, I use it with my European Sony Walkman Z, which has a ridiculously high Z out, and the pairing is just superb. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I recently purchased the XBA-40, just a week after getting the JVC FXZ200, and I have to admit I am absolutely amazed by the SQ of this iem but build quality is quite disappointing. More surprisingly, I use it with my European Sony Walkman Z, which has a ridiculously high Z out, and the pairing is just superb. 

hey man. can you compare both XBA40 and FXZ200? i want to hear your opinions.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I use my XBA-3 with just my samsung galaxy s3....
eqing it really helps....
and its also easily driven by them.....
i guess the xba-4's should react the same.?

xba-4 is harder to drive.
if you don't have a great DAP, amping is a must for xba-4 imo.

S3 is enough for xba-3.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 15
I just got a pair of Sony XBA-4 IEMs and man do they sound bad right from my iPod Classic.  They sound a lot better with my Voyager amp.  I may try some other amps also or go for a Sony Z series player.  Has anybody tried a HiFiMan HM601 player?  That's another player I was looking at.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 15
You could consider a Colorfly C3 for XBA4, output impedance measures at 0.4 ohms. Or there's FiiO X3 which I think 1 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back