Source for SA5000 ($500 - $1000)
May 28, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't that set up sound really bright and fatiguing with the SA5000?

Well bright instantly engages me, whereas the e4c and HD 595 make me fall asleep-I can listen to the sa5000 non-stop. I haven't experienced 'excessive' brightness that makes prolonged listening unbearable. The 640c is supposedly bright as well, but I'm aiming for a clean and sharp sound. The GL from what I've read is relatively transparent?

May 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well bright instantly engages me, whereas the e4c and HD 595 make me fall asleep-I can listen to the sa5000 non-stop. I haven't experienced 'excessive' brightness that makes prolonged listening unbearable. The 640c is supposedly bright as well, but I'm aiming for a clean and sharp sound. The GL from what I've read is relatively transparent?

Well, the SA5000 is already definitely on the bright side, so combining it with a cold source and a transparent amp, to me, doesn't seem like a good idea (I personally would at least put a warm amp in between the source and the headphones).

May 28, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #33 of 42
Ok thanks for the heads-up. Have you had experience with the aforementioned gear or is it also from secondary reading? I'm pretty certain on getting the Azur because I can probably get it for cheap(er). Which amp would be the best complement?

May 29, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks for the heads-up. Have you had experience with the aforementioned gear or is it also from secondary reading? I'm pretty certain on getting the Azur because I can probably get it for cheap(er). Which amp would be the best complement?

I have not heard the Azur 640C or the Gilmore Lite. What I said was just based on what I read (about the 640C being on the bright side of neutral and the G-Lite being rather neutral). I once used the Zhaolu D2C (which is on the cold side) as my source with the warm M3 as my amp and I couldn't stand the treble fatigue (I like a cold, detailed presentation, but this was ridiculous).

I think Asr's 640C deal is excellent and shouldn't be passed up if you want the 640C as a source. If I got the 640C I would probably try using a tube amp with very warm tubes (I personally would like to try out the Darkvoice or Singlepower PPX3).

May 29, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #35 of 42
Didn't Asr withdraw his 640c? In any case, shipping costs would be astronomical.

I've never been very keen on the idea of tube amps, all that fiddling around and perishability is something waiting to to be messed up and burn a bigger hole in my wallet. Ultimately, I think I will just get the GL and 640c because I have to listen for myself. In the meantime, I'm not too clued up on the benefits of a DAC. I know what it does (convert the digital signal to analogue for amplification) but where does it fit in?

May 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #36 of 42
The DAC is placed between your source and your amplifier. You hook it up using a digital audio cable (optical, coaxial, usb, etc.) from your source (CD Player, sound card, etc.) to the DAC. It replaces the DAC of your original source, making your original source a "transport." The DAC will have digital inputs and analog outputs; the digital inputs are hooked up to the digital output of your source, and the analog outputs are hooked up to the next analog item in your rig (usually the amplifier).

I may be able to buy that Empirical Audio modded Ack! dAck! 2.0 that is for sale here. I remember reading that the dAck! 2.0 has a warm sound signature, so I hope this will help. If not, I think I'll get the Apogee Mini-DAC, sell my M^3, and get my SA5000 balanced.

May 31, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

I may be able to buy that Empirical Audio modded Ack! dAck! 2.0 that is for sale here. I remember reading that the dAck! 2.0 has a warm sound signature, so I hope this will help. If not, I think I'll get the Apogee Mini-DAC, sell my M^3, and get my SA5000 balanced.

Scratch the Ack! dAck! 2.0 (looks like I was beaten to the punch).

So, back to Apogee Mini-Dac (or Stello DA100 if I ever find one). Iron_Dreamer, any ETA on that Apogee Mini-Dac you have coming in?

May 31, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

So, back to Apogee Mini-Dac (or Stello DA100 if I ever find one). Iron_Dreamer, any ETA on that Apogee Mini-Dac you have coming in?

Yes, it's here, actually. So far, as compared to the DA220, I'm hearing some minor variations here and there, but they are questions of presentation, rather than quality. It's hard to say if I prefer one or the other at this point. I'll post something a little more descriptive once I get real solid handle on the differences. The headphone jack on this sucker is pretty good as well, the only lacking I can detect is a bit of flatness as far as depth of soundstage goes.

As it pertains to you, I think the Apogee certainly fufills the three main goals you set out in the first post. I'd consider it a contender, and if you see a real good deal on one, it'd be worth a try.

May 31, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #39 of 42
Hmm...the Apogee is starting to sound really good. Do you think it'd be better to keep the M^3 to drive the SA5000s, or to sell it and get the SA5000s balanced for the Apogee Mini-DAC (I believe the Mini-Dac has balanced outputs?)?

May 31, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 42
That's really hard to speculate on. I know one fellow says the SA5K sounds good balanced from the DAC1. I know some others like the HD650's balanced from the Mini-DAC. Not knowing the Mini-DAC's output impedance or output current capacity on the XLR's make it harder to speculate. I might hold off on that until you have a chance to either try it, or your SA5K cable goes to the dogs and needs to be replaced anyway.

After some seriously comparative listening, I can offer some more detail about the Mini-DAC's sound. It has a greater power/impact to the very low bass, whereas the DA220 (and DA100 by extension) have slightly more emphasis to the mid/upper bass. The result is that the deep basslines in most electronic music feel a bit more impactful from the Apogee, whereas the Stello offers a fatter sound for natural drums.

The soundstage of the Apogee seemed little different in dimension, however it was presented differently. Instruments sounded as if they had a bit more air between them from the Apogee, whereas the Stello made them sound larger but closer together.

Finally the most minute difference was that the Stello seemed to have a touch more treble sparkle (perhaps the result of asynchronous upsampling?) while the Apogee has a bit more spark/snap to the upper midrange.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Scratch the Ack! dAck! 2.0 (looks like I was beaten to the punch).

That was me who beat you to the punch. Sorry. If I don't like it, I'll get back to you. However, I've got a pair of Focal Cobalt 816S that are the speaker equivalent of SA5000s, I suppose, so I can't imgaine it won't be a good match.

I say go for the CI Audio VDA-2 as it will give you incredible smoothness without giving up any detail or bass response. It was close to my 16-chip battery-powered DDDac that was the bomb and tricked out with the best parts money could buy (except for V-Caps, but they're insanely priced!). I regret selling it. With 16 chips putting out lots of current, the signal came straight off the DAC leads into some Auricaps so no opamps, I/V gain stage, etc.

If the VDA-2/VAC-1 came close to that, that's about as pure and smooth as you're going to get. You get a 30-day trial too, but you won't find a smoother sound for $750.

I spoke with Matt Anker of sacdmods earlier this week about the possbility of his mod for the Sony 9100ES currently for sale for a very reasonable price here on Head-Fi. I was looking for the same sound as you out of one of his mods. He stated that the modified 555ES sounds brighter than than the 9100ES . Therefore, if you go the sacdmods route, consider that statement.

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really hard to speculate on. I know one fellow says the SA5K sounds good balanced from the DAC1. I know some others like the HD650's balanced from the Mini-DAC. Not knowing the Mini-DAC's output impedance or output current capacity on the XLR's make it harder to speculate. I might hold off on that until you have a chance to either try it, or your SA5K cable goes to the dogs and needs to be replaced anyway.

After some seriously comparative listening, I can offer some more detail about the Mini-DAC's sound. It has a greater power/impact to the very low bass, whereas the DA220 (and DA100 by extension) have slightly more emphasis to the mid/upper bass. The result is that the deep basslines in most electronic music feel a bit more impactful from the Apogee, whereas the Stello offers a fatter sound for natural drums.

The soundstage of the Apogee seemed little different in dimension, however it was presented differently. Instruments sounded as if they had a bit more air between them from the Apogee, whereas the Stello made them sound larger but closer together.

Finally the most minute difference was that the Stello seemed to have a touch more treble sparkle (perhaps the result of asynchronous upsampling?) while the Apogee has a bit more spark/snap to the upper midrange.

Yes.. The SA5000 balanced with my DAC1 does sound great & increases the strength of the SA5000 & helps aleviate some of the SA5000 weakness.. For IE bass has more slam & is more full..But I found new love for my SA5000/DAC1 combo when I purchased the Sony S7700..Its warmer, smoother, & more analog sounding compared to my DVD player, which made everything too bright, too lean, & too digital.. I'm going to get my Sony 'zapped' or super clocked in a few month.. I would easily recommend the S7700 as a transport.. Seem some as low for 100.00 on ebay which is insane, especially with all the mod capabilities, which can transform it into a giant killer in regards to transports..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back