Source for SA5000 ($500 - $1000)
May 20, 2007 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for either a DAC or a CDP in the $500 to $1000 range (please try to keep it south of $1000
smily_headphones1.gif
) to pair well with my M^3/SA5000 combo (M^3 has AD8620 at the moment; I plan to put in OPA627s). This is what I'm looking for:

1. Airyness/larger soundstage (not necessarily "accurate" soundstage, but a large, airy soundstage)
2. POWER in the bass department (I realize that you can't change the SA5000s into the DT770s, but I'd like to add a bit more emphasis to the bass)
3. DETAILED, but NOT BRIGHT! This will be used with the SA5000, after all. I'm looking for something on the warm side of "neutral"; I think as long as it doesn't add to the SA5000's brightness/treble fatigue, it should be fine.

What do you guys think? I've been looking at the following sources at the moment:

Ack! dAck! 2.0
Lavry DA10
Rega Apollo
Sony SCD-C555ES [SACDmods]
Sony SCD-C777ES [STOCK]
Stello DA100

If you have any other sources in mind, please do tell
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 42
Bumparoo!

May 24, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 42
Well there are a few suggestions honestly.
1. You know what I want to say, we've been through this. =]
2. There is an idea that balanced sa5000 has great improvement in the bass
and not-so-shrill department, which means you would have to go DA10, but you
would need an appropriate amplifier which will run you very high up cost-wise.
(+ recable, and I am only aware of [AK]Zip doing sa5k balancing?)
3. Rega Apollo - I heard this guy running into Stax SR-404 (at the time out of srm-313 which is a solidstate amplifier). On some particular tracks, that DID NOT have recording issues, things got too bright for my ears. Partly this is the property of the setup, but jeez, I believe SA5000 is far more shrill?
4. I don't think Zhalou sounds high-end enough for SA5000, the Sony is picky.

Thats all I can comment on... I heard the fully modded Zhalou, in moderately quiet conditions, and it is better than Micro DAC per say, but is not all that amazing.

May 25, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for either a DAC or a CDP in the $500 to $1000 range (please try to keep it south of $1000
smily_headphones1.gif
) to pair well with my M^3/SA5000 combo (M^3 has AD8620 at the moment; I plan to put in OPA627s). This is what I'm looking for:

1. Airyness/larger soundstage (not necessarily "accurate" soundstage, but a large, airy soundstage)
2. POWER in the bass department (I realize that you can't change the SA5000s into the DT770s, but I'd like to add a bit more emphasis to the bass)
3. DETAILED, but NOT BRIGHT! This will be used with the SA5000, after all. I'm looking for something on the warm side of "neutral"; I think as long as it doesn't add to the SA5000's brightness/treble fatigue, it should be fine.

What do you guys think? I've been looking at the following sources at the moment:

Ack! dAck! 2.0
Lavry DA10
Rega Apollo
Sony SCD-C777ES [STOCK]
Stello DA100

smily_headphones1.gif

My SA5000 mate well with my DAC1 & stock S7700 (which can be modded)

May 25, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SA5000 mate well with my DAC1 & stock S7700 (which can be modded)

Isn't the DAC1 supposed to be on the bright/analytical side? Also keep in mind that my SA5000s are stock, and I can't afford both getting them balanced AND buying a DAC1.

May 25, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Isn't the DAC1 supposed to be on the bright/analytical side? Also keep in mind that my SA5000s are stock, and I can't afford both getting them balanced AND buying a DAC1.

True. Yes..But they are warmer with the S7700..

May 25, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Ack! dAck! 2.0
Lavry DA10
Rega Apollo
Sony SCD-C777ES [STOCK]
Stello DA100

smily_headphones1.gif

Every characteristic you are looking for in a CDP can be achieved by balancing your SA5000..Wider soundstage/More detail/powerful non transparent bass.. I know at the moment you aren't looking to go balanced, but you should keep that option open in the future when you have more money..

May 25, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 42
the sacdMods stuff is really good. no surprise, since they use the zapfilter. if you're using the SA5000, that's the first thing that you need to get rid of if you don't like brightness. the ori zhaolu is less bright and may suit you better than the zapfilter, but the main evil is the SA5000 more than anything else.

May 25, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sacdMods stuff is really good. no surprise, since they use the zapfilter. if you're using the SA5000, that's the first thing that needs to go into the garbage can if you don't like brightness. the ori zhaolu is less bright and may suit you better than the zapfilter, but the main evil is the SA5000 more than anything else.

The SA5000 is not overly bright.. But you do have to mate it carefully..Very picky..

May 25, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

The DAC1 isn't bright. There is a slight bit of grain to the top end, which draws more attention to the highs, then say for instance with the DA10. But I'm convinced the frequency response is flat. I think the grain could be a by-product of the DAC1's dejittering technique.

On another note, the DAC1 + SA5000 was my only system for about 9 months. Even using the internal headphone amp, which I did, the sound was not overly bright, or moreso than any ordinary SA5000 rig. The internal amp, as compared to a better one (like a dynahi) did make the sound a bit thin, or underemphasize the lower mids.

If you like the SA5000, and can get a good deal on a used DAC1, I say go for it. It's a very compact, tough, convenient system that doesn't look overly expensive (somewhat important for college-fi).

The Apogee mini-DAC might have a better sound signature for the SA5000, and you can get the non-USB version for $715 from B&H. I will have an Apogee around by next week, and will add my take on it to my big review.

May 25, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 42
Have to say that I saw a really new side to my SA5000s when I plugged them into the musiland. However, without the tinniest bit of eq the sound can get a bit much for me. Everything sounds very much 3d, air becomes a real texture to teh music.

People say a lot of good things about the stello DA100. The presonus central station might be precisely what you are looking for.

I'm sure people will say balanced is great, but it is exepensive...probably more bang for buck in the source at this stage - then worry about balancing the headphones and the amp.

May 25, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC1 isn't bright. There is a slight bit of grain to the top end, which draws more attention to the highs, then say for instance with the DA10. But I'm convinced the frequency response is flat. I think the grain could be a by-product of the DAC1's dejittering technique.

On another note, the DAC1 + SA5000 was my only system for about 9 months. Even using the internal headphone amp, which I did, the sound was not overly bright, or moreso than any ordinary SA5000 rig. The internal amp, as compared to a better one (like a dynahi) did make the sound a bit thin, or underemphasize the lower mids.

If you like the SA5000, and can get a good deal on a used DAC1, I say go for it. It's a very compact, tough, convenient system that doesn't look overly expensive (somewhat important for college-fi).

The Apogee mini-DAC might have a better sound signature for the SA5000, and you can get the non-USB version for $715 from B&H. I will have an Apogee around by next week, and will add my take on it to my big review.

It's just so hard to get over the impression that the DAC1 is supposed to be very much on the analytical and unforgiving side, and has bright tendencies compared to other DACs in the price range. Have you compared the SA5000 with the Benchmark and Stello? How does the Benchmark make up for the lack of punch with the SA5000 compared to the Stello? The last thing I want in a source for the SA5000 is thinness.

When do you plan on posting the big review and what other DACs will be in it?

May 25, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 42
I will just be adding the Apogee to the second of the two reviews in my sig.

The DA100 would be better than the DAC1 for the SA5000, no doubt. I was just trying to say that people get too bent out of shape calling the DAC1 bright, when in fact it isn't. It is unforgiving, but honestly any $800+ DAC should be (those built for tube nuts notwithstanding). I don't find any of the other various DACs I've tried at home, including the DA100, any more forgiving than the DAC1. For that, you'd need to venture into sources that inject undue overall warmth, like the Bel Canto DAC2, Monarchy M20, or Grace 901/902.

Honestly, with the somewhat bassy and smooth sound of the M3, I don't think any of the DAC's I've heard at length would steer you wrong for the SA5000. It will certainly be a better rig than what I had for months (with only the DAC1's internal amp), and that rig was hardly bad.

It just seems to me that one of the best opportunities for a good deal would be a used DAC1. I've seen them on Audiogon for $600 occationally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back