Source for Apple Music
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
I'm using mostly a Macbook as source streaming with Apple music app USB to my Orchid DAC. I also have a Node2i feeding my DAC with coax but I use it only sporadically because it's not as convenient as using Apple Music on the Macbook and it does not stream Apple music, only my personal FLAC library. However, what the Node2i provides is way nicer sound quality, not sure if it's because of the coax connection vs USB or that the Node2i is just a better audio source.

So I'm looking for an option to improve my sound quality using the Macbook which I find more convenient to use. I had Audirvana a few years ago on an old Macbook and I remember it was a bit better sounding but did not provide option to stream, just played the locally stored Apple music files.

Any of you have a suggestion? Is Audirvana improved from a few years back? I saw Eversolo adds that say it supports Apple Music but it's not clear if you can really stream your complete Apple music library or just locally stored files.

Anyway, your suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 22
I would look into a ddc. I ran into this same thing with streamers, even cheaper ones sounded cleaner than straight for my laptop into my dac. Streamer just wasn't ideal for my use case, ended up with a Denfrips Iris first and now an Audio GD DI20HE. There are cheaper options, too.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 22
I would look into a ddc. I ran into this same thing with streamers, even cheaper ones sounded cleaner than straight for my laptop into my dac. Streamer just wasn't ideal for my use case, ended up with a Denfrips Iris first and now an Audio GD DI20HE. There are cheaper options, too.
Hey thanks, I read a bit about DDC a few weeks ago, seems an interesting solution but I'm a bit tired of adding boxes to the chain, I don't understand why DAC makers aren't able to provide the right USB interface gyzmos built in so we don't need to add another box. I was thinking about changing my beloved Orchid DAC for a more modern one hoping it has a better USB interface but I might endup having to pay a lot of money foso coming back to your option of adding a DDC! Never an easy solution in audio if your wallet is not huge! hahaha

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 22
Hey thanks, I read a bit about DDC a few weeks ago, seems an interesting solution but I'm a bit tired of adding boxes to the chain, I don't understand why DAC makers aren't able to provide the right USB interface gyzmos built in so we don't need to add another box. I was thinking about changing my beloved Orchid DAC for a more modern one hoping it has a better USB interface but I might endup having to pay a lot of money foso coming back to your option of adding a DDC! Never an easy solution in audio if your wallet is not huge! hahaha

You're welcome. I wouldn't swap the entire dac if it's still going strong. Something like a Matrix might do what you need for like $250 used. But I know what you mean about adding boxes.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 22
You're welcome. I wouldn't swap the entire dac if it's still going strong. Something like a Matrix might do what you need for like $250 used. But I know what you mean about adding boxes.
Well I guess if I'm going to add a box might as well add one that will do the trick right away, specially if you started with a Denafrip and it wasn't satisfying, it means even esoteric boxes like a DDC must add significant upgrade to the sound. The Matrix seems like one of the "entry" price bracket then there's Singxer/Gustard/Denafrip and finally your nice AudioGD one. Always been tempted by their R1-NOS or their R28 NOS all in one, maybe it's time for me to open the wallet again! :smiley:

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Well I guess if I'm going to add a box might as well add one that will do the trick right away, specially if you started with a Denafrip and it wasn't satisfying, it means even esoteric boxes like a DDC must add significant upgrade to the sound. The Matrix seems like one of the "entry" price bracket then there's Singxer/Gustard/Denafrip and finally your nice AudioGD one. Always been tempted by their R1-NOS or their R28 NOS all in one, maybe it's time for me to open the wallet again! :smiley:
Haha, no--the Denafrips Iris was solid. I upgraded out of curiosity for the regenerative power supply.

@DenverW didn't have luck with the Iris (I2S pin config), but got the Matrix and liked it.

My Iris was hooked up to a Pontus II, so I didn't have the same issues he did.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 22
I'm using mostly a Macbook as source streaming with Apple music app USB to my Orchid DAC. I also have a Node2i feeding my DAC with coax but I use it only sporadically because it's not as convenient as using Apple Music on the Macbook and it does not stream Apple music, only my personal FLAC library. However, what the Node2i provides is way nicer sound quality, not sure if it's because of the coax connection vs USB or that the Node2i is just a better audio source.

So I'm looking for an option to improve my sound quality using the Macbook which I find more convenient to use. I had Audirvana a few years ago on an old Macbook and I remember it was a bit better sounding but did not provide option to stream, just played the locally stored Apple music files.

Any of you have a suggestion? Is Audirvana improved from a few years back? I saw Eversolo adds that say it supports Apple Music but it's not clear if you can really stream your complete Apple music library or just locally stored files.

I was/am in a similar predicament: I'd prefer to stream hires Apple Music from an iPad, but I also have local hires flac/alac files I listened to thru Audirvana 3.5.

I don't have an Everolso, but form what I've researched online, I'd recommend the Eversolo DMP-A6/A8 over a DDC - you won't need your Macbook to control music on the Eversolo:
  • install Apple Music on the Eversolo
  • add storage to the Eversolo and use the native app to play your Flac files
  • use your phone to control the Eversolo
If you want to be tethered, a DDC will work. ...I went the DDC route and am regretting it because I wanted to stream from my iPad, and ended up spending more than the cost of an Eversolo DMP-A6 on a DDC, R-pi, and miscellaneous items (Roon, HQP, Qobuz) because I couldn't stream Apple Music hires and needed an alternative solution.

btw, Audirvana 3.5 plays music slightly louder than Apple Music and Roon, so I think that's why it's sometimes perceived as sounding better. Not sure about Audirvana Studio.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 22
I was/am in a similar predicament: I'd prefer to stream hires Apple Music from an iPad, but I also have local hires flac/alac files I listened to thru Audirvana 3.5.

I don't have an Everolso, but form what I've researched online, I'd recommend the Eversolo DMP-A6/A8 over a DDC - you won't need your Macbook to control music on the Eversolo:
  • install Apple Music on the Eversolo
  • add storage to the Eversolo and use the native app to play your Flac files
  • use your phone to control the Eversolo
If you want to be tethered, a DDC will work. ...I went the DDC route and am regretting it because I wanted to stream from my iPad, and ended up spending more than the cost of an Eversolo DMP-A6 on a DDC, R-pi, and miscellaneous items (Roon, HQP, Qobuz) because I couldn't stream Apple Music hires and needed an alternative solution.

btw, Audirvana 3.5 plays music slightly louder than Apple Music and Roon, so I think that's why it's sometimes perceived as sounding better. Not sure about Audirvana Studio.
Hey thanks, that’s also very helpful info even if I’m still pulling my hair out on which solution is best for me, what a nightmare, hahaha! :scream:

Why did you add an R-pi and not just use your iPad to the DDC?

I sleeped on it last night and I’d be a little bit more enthousiastic about the Eversolo solution if it had a NOS R2R DAC so I could get rid of complexity, I’d keep only the Eversolo and my tube amp. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of AKM/ESS chip based DACs so if I go the Eversolo way I know I’ll endup keeping my current DAC, basically I’d just replace my Node2i as source for an Eversolo and I’d probably even endup often streaming from my Macbook like now.

May be this year some manufacturers will suprise us with better USB integration in a DAC so we don’t need a DDC and also some other manufacturers will bring one box solutions like the Eversolo with R2R DACs… :santa:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 22
Hey thanks, that’s also very helpful info even if I’m still pulling my hair out on which solution is best for me, what a nightmare, hahaha! :scream:

Why did you add an R-pi and not just use your iPad to the DDC?

I sleeped on it last night and I’d be a little bit more enthousiastic about the Eversolo solution if it had a NOS R2R DAC so I could get rid of complexity, I’d keep only the Eversolo and my tube amp. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of AKM/ESS chip based DACs so if I go the Eversolo way I know I’ll endup keeping my current DAC, basically I’d just replace my Node2i as source for an Eversolo and I’d probably even endup often streaming from my Macbook like now.

May be this year some manufacturers will suprise us with better USB integration in a DAC so we don’t need a DDC and also some other manufacturers will bring one box solutions like the Eversolo with R2R DACs… :santa:
Unfortunately there isn’t an elegant solution to wirelessly stream Apple Music hires to a dac.

My R-pi + DDC basically got to something equivalent to your Node but more convoluted.
[the R-pi acts as a network bridge to a Singxer SU6 DDC - the R-pi runs Ropieee, is connected to the network via Ethernet, and is connected to the DDC via USB. The DDC feeds a dac2541 via AES and Qutest via BNC].

Why I’d pick the Eversolo is to think of it as a device that runs all the streaming music apps (incl. Apple Music), plays hires flac files natively, and outputs hires to coax or USB and forget that it has a dac. I admit that makes the price-to-value ratio high, but there is no other option to stream Apple Music hires and local flac files.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 22
Unfortunately there isn’t an elegant solution to wirelessly stream Apple Music hires to a dac.

My R-pi + DDC basically got to something equivalent to your Node but more convoluted.
[the R-pi acts as a network bridge to a Singxer SU6 DDC - the R-pi runs Ropieee, is connected to the network via Ethernet, and is connected to the DDC via USB. The DDC feeds a dac2541 via AES and Qutest via BNC].

Why I’d pick the Eversolo is to think of it as a device that runs all the streaming music apps (incl. Apple Music), plays hires flac files natively, and outputs hires to coax or USB and forget that it has a dac. I admit that makes the price-to-value ratio high, but there is no other option to stream Apple Music hires and local flac files.
You are starting to tempt me towards the Eversolo, hahaha. When you control it with your phone, is it the Apple Music app that you work with or an Eversolo UI that accesses your library and shows your songs? Too bad Eversolo didn't build their new A8 with an R2R DAC, it is expensive but then it would replace multiple boxes so it is easier to justify the expense.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 22
You are starting to tempt me towards the Eversolo, hahaha. When you control it with your phone, is it the Apple Music app that you work with or an Eversolo UI that accesses your library and shows your songs? Too bad Eversolo didn't build their new A8 with an R2R DAC, it is expensive but then it would replace multiple boxes so it is easier to justify the expense.
And just think, the album art displayed on the Eversolo’s screen would look slick ha, ha, ha

The Apple Music app on the Eversolo appears to be the regular Android Apple Music app (ditto for all the other streaming music apps) and your phone would mirror the Eversolo screen, so you’re controlling the Apple Music app that’s running on the Eversolo.

I wish there were more R2R based devices, it sounds better to my ears and my dac2541 gets way more usage than the Qutest.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 22
And just think, the album art displayed on the Eversolo’s screen would look slick ha, ha, ha

The Apple Music app on the Eversolo appears to be the regular Android Apple Music app (ditto for all the other streaming music apps) and your phone would mirror the Eversolo screen, so you’re controlling the Apple Music app that’s running on the Eversolo.

I wish there were more R2R based devices, it sounds better to my ears and my dac2541 gets way more usage than the Qutest.
We seem to have very similar taste because I'm using an MHDT Orchid NOS DAC and I tried several OS chip based as well as the Mojo, nothing satisfied my taste as much as the sweet sound of NOS which seems similar to what R2R DACs bring. I think there will be more and more R2R DACs coming because there is so many people talking about it, companies will want to jump on the boat.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 22

so funny, I asked this question in 2017 and started this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ant...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/

But with at the time a budget isn't an issue question. Id start with roon core on MacBook, get a lifetime membership, then when your ready , breach into roon ready server to play ssd or stream. good luck

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 22
All of my systems have a chromecast audio hooked up to it, and on Android Apple Music has casting. So that's my go-to for everything. It matches the song's bit rate without issues.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 22
so funny, I asked this question in 2017 and started this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ant...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/

But with at the time a budget isn't an issue question. Id start with roon core on MacBook, get a lifetime membership, then when your ready , breach into roon ready server to play ssd or stream. good luck
Wow, read a few random pages of your thread, what a journey! Even if I'm retired, I really don't have the patience and time to go through all you've been through! haha. I think I will let a few months pass and see if other manufacturers will come up with "Apple music" direct streamers to compete against the Eversolo solution, hopefully either without a built-in DAC or even better with an internal R2R DAC! :wink: A high-end open Android with R2R DAP like Hiby RS8 could probably make me happy sound wise but the idea of spending a few thousands on a DAP is difficult for me ideologically speaking! hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back