Source for alumimum and Lexan sheets?
Mar 16, 2007 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

peterpan188

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am look to buy some medium size (16inx16in) alumimum sheets, about 1/4in thick, may be a little less. I would perfer it to be anodized, but it will be ok if its not polished. Does anyone know a good and reliable source for that?

Also, I am looking for some Lexan or Plexiglas arcylic sheets, with various sizes. Any recommondation on a source? Is it possible to ask them to "sand" it (not sure what the process is called)?

Thanks,
Peter

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 11
Home Depot definitely sells lexan, or something similar, but it seems overly expensive to me. I wasn't able to find a better source, however.

If you want it frosted, you might try picking up some glass etchant while you're there. I've seen it used for detail work on plexi/lexan before and it seems to work well, just be careful to spread it evenly or it'll go blotchy.

As for aluminum, I don't know. You'd probably have to call up a metalworking shop and ask if they can help.

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Try a glass/window place for Lexan and plastics... I picked up some scrap pieces of decent size from one. Home Depot, etc. are not going to have 1/4" or so aluminum, and certainly not anodized. Maybe try a custom car/motorcycle place if you can find one, otherwise metal working shops or machine shops might be able to help.

There is always OnlineMetals but that would be for sheets. Also, scrap/recycling places maybe?

This for a P1.7
biggrin.gif
?

Chris

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd look in the phone book for stores that specialize in those materials. 1/4 inch think aluminum plate probably wont be stocked at any of the typical stores. I'd call up sheet metal shops and ask around. They can usually direct you to where you need to go if they don't have what you need. At least that's been my experience. I don't know of any that stock anodized material. You might have to order online or through the mail for something like that. Or do it yourself.

I'd do the same with the plastic. Look in the phone book for plastic suppliers and ask around. Most will have a variety of processing methods they can offer but of course any processing will add to the cost. A plastic shop will also be able to help you pick what type of plastic you need (acrylic and lexan/polycarbonate are two different things).

I'd give www.onlinemetals.com a quick once through to see if they have what you want and what prices are.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by 1 minute :p

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 11
https://www.speedymetals.com/

I just made a purchase from Speedy and I'm very happy with both the service and the prices. I purchased some 1/4"x4" flat bar stock to use as side and end panels for amps, and some 1/16" sheets to use as bottom and top panels. Free cutting to my exact specs and shipped from Wisconsin to Ohio in 2 days. It is raw aluminum, no treatments. I have used the following spray on treatment with great success on raw aluminum.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...iProductID=619

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 11
hmm, good prices. Shame they don't have any perforated sheet or woven metal cloth. That stuff is hella expensive at mcmaster-carr, and i can't always find it at the recycling center to buy it by the pound.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks guys for the inputs. I am pretty noob when it comes to metal working.

Well I am actually building a Aleph 30 speaker amp. I got the heatsinks as sides of the case. My transformer is about 20 lbs, and with all the other stuff on the base, I would say it has to take a 25 lbs load, with 20lbs concentrated on a 5in diameter circle (the transfo).

I was thinking of getting something thick for the base (1/4 in), but looking at the prices and availability, I guess I would have to get something less thick. What do you guys suggest for thickness according to the load?

The front panel would definitely be plastic, either plexiglas or lexan. I would love to have it frosted, because homemade frosting (without orbit sander) had never provide good result for me.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Peter

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 11
Very nice chassis Pars, too bad I already had my heatsinks, but that could be for a full blow Aleph-X.

Any more thoughts? Would a 5mm thick Al sheet be about to hold up 25lbs of load?

Thanks,
Peter

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Check around at local metal suppliers. If they don't have it, they should be able to order it but you may have to get more than you need.
McMaster-Carr usually has anything you need but is pricy at times. Other places aren't too bad buy shipping can be expensive depending on what you need. I needed a lot of steel tubing for a few projects and ended up getting it locally.

As for metal mesh, I know Michael's craft store has different types of copper and aluminum, very fine (like cloth) to course screen. They have folded sheets and also rolls. I think it was in the painting section.

Frosted plexi/lexan and be done by jsut sanding it with a palm sander to avoid any definite lines. Cut edges can be cleared/glossed by touching it with a torch flame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back