Source component WITHOUT built-in amplifer??
Nov 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fzaba

New Head-Fier
Does anybody know of an amp-less source component that plays FLAC?  Top sound and small size are my priorities for this component. I do not need a built in amp nor the associated headphone output since I will amp the signal using an RSA Shadow. A 1/8" mini line out jack would be perfect. I have been looking for some time now and never came across such a device. Any help?

Ideally, something the size of the RSA Shadow would be ideal. This is a strictly portable setup. I'm willing to spend up to $400 or so for such a device.

The Hifiman HM-601 looks interesting due to it's claim of awesome sound quality, but if I didn't have to pay for the built-in amplifier I would save additional money AND there is room on the manufacturing side to shrink its size..... IF they were so inclined to build my ideal device. One can dream, right?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Maybe the Nationite S:Flo2 16GB?  It's around $180 USD, plays nearly every format, 16  GB (expandable via MicroSD cards), and has a line-out that bypasses its built-in headphone amp.

Dimensions are 11cm (4.33 inches) x 6.2cm (2.44 inches) x 1.2cm (0.5 in)

I think it comes with cheapie IEMs.

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_36_58&products_id=377&zenid=372ce81ad8cac865d9cda679bfc96a89

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Maybe I am asking for too much... but I want a smaller device that is specifically made with SQ in mind. The size of a Sansa Clip+ would be perfect. I would go slightly bigger as well, but not by too much. I want it to fit in my jeans pocket. The idea is a no-holds barred approach to SQ in a FLAC-enabled player that fits in a package the size of a RSA Shadow. No other bells or whistles are needed like video or picture viewing. Wishing and hoping someone makes this device!!!

I currently have the Clip+, but I cant get over the fact that I'm using the headphone out to my RSA Shadow. There must but SQ improvements that can be made without sacrificing size, right?
evil_smiley.gif

I thought about looking up someone that can mod the Clip+ to make it into a line out instead, but it would still be missing specific internals that make it tailored for better SQ; a higher quality DAC being key. I may just end up going this route for now, but I am still very much open to suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back