SoundMagic PL50 or PL30 or P30 or Brainwavz M1 or M2 or Vsonic GR06?
Feb 11, 2012 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

seyfulislam

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been using my CX-300 II pairs for over one and a half years until 2 days ago left phone's cable got damaged. I've read a lot of topics before registering here. I was happy with my Sennheiser except for the highs. The highs are not good at all, actually. I listen many genres of music like rock, folk, heavy metal and even hip hop(rarely). And importantly, I play classical guitar and I think I need some good pairs which have good mid performance. Here is some options I consider:

Soundmagic PL-50: I didn't read any bad comment about it, actually. Some of the reviewers say it is not good for bass lovers. I don't know how its bass is compared to my Sennheisers but it is not so important to have as much bass as CX-300 II has. Sennheisers was awful when there is too much instrument and people say PL-50 is "clarity" phones, so I think they are right for me. Price is 50$.

Brainwavz M1: They are also good performance-price phones as far as I know and from what I've read they are "balanced". From mp4nation.net, they are in pre-order and I can buy it for 25$.

Soundmagic PL-30: From what I've read, these have very similar sound signature compared to my Sennheisers. I can but them for around 20$.

Vsonic GR06: When I started this thread, it was not in my list however I a lot of good comments about it and it seems they are very good balanced in-ear phones for their price.

I don't want to pay 50$ or more singe I don't have too much opportunity to test the earphones before I buy. Btw, I'm running often and I really like the style of plugging PL-50 and PL-30 have. They probably give best comfort while running. What do you think, any comments?

Edit: My player is iPod Touch 4G 32gigs. I don't use any amps.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 12
PL50 definitely isn't great in the highs or for clarity...it's very midrange oriented.  Dunno about the other two though since I've never heard them.  Maybe if you could stretch your budget by a few dollars you could check out the Vsonic GR06?  From what I understand they pretty much blow away everything else in that price bracket... (you can find them on ebay)

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I read some reviews about Vsonic GR06's and some people say it is sibiliant a bit. Are you sure it is good in the highs?

Well, if it's anything like the GR07, which I have, it will certainly be better than the PL50, which I also have.  The PL50 honestly sounds a bit muddy...not much emphasis on the highs at all.  Sibilance might be a problem with the GR06 though, so I guess it's up to you whether that would be a problem or not.  The biggest problem with it is that there aren't many people selling them...ebay generally isn't the greatest place to buy stuff just to try out.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Well, if it's anything like the GR07, which I have, it will certainly be better than the PL50, which I also have.  The PL50 honestly sounds a bit muddy...not much emphasis on the highs at all.  Sibilance might be a problem with the GR06 though, so I guess it's up to you whether that would be a problem or not.  The biggest problem with it is that there aren't many people selling them...ebay generally isn't the greatest place to buy stuff just to try out.

Yeah only 2 sellers on Ebay which one of them sells for $55 and other is $65. They are probably genuine because it seems that no one is trying to make imitation GR06's.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Hi, I have the Brainwavz M1 and Vsonic GR06.

M1 is great for its price, decent and punchy bass, beautiful (quite forward) mids and nice highs. quite balance sound, good details and clarity. you would not be disappointed.

Have you consider Soundmagic E30? worn over the ears style...it is good for active use. balance and neutral sound.. smooth and good for non fatigue listening.

I have not encountered sibilance with the GR06. If you can stretch your budget, yes I would also recommend GR06. Sound is a bit mid centric, lush, fun, nice soundstage, quite airy and spacious. that vast array of stock tips is impressive and at less than 60 bucks, it is very good value for money.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Hi, I have the Brainwavz M1 and Vsonic GR06.

M1 is great for its price, decent and punchy bass, beautiful (quite forward) mids and nice highs. quite balance sound, good details and clarity. you would not be disappointed.

Have you consider Soundmagic E30? worn over the ears style...it is good for active use. balance and neutral sound.. smooth and good for non fatigue listening.

I have not encountered sibilance with the GR06. If you can stretch your budget, yes I would also recommend GR06. Sound is a bit mid centric, lush, fun, nice soundstage, quite airy and spacious. that vast array of stock tips is impressive and at less than 60 bucks, it is very good value for money.

Actually, Soundmagic phones looks like very cheap except for PL-50 and I'm still thinking if their build quality is fair enough. E30 looks also like very cheap and that makes it hard to pay $40 for them. By the way, which one do use use more, M1 or GR06?

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 12
I have the E30 too. Their silvery feel does put people off a little. Aesthetically, They may look cheap or like toys but they are durable.

I rotate them...weekly in order to give each of them equal love. Appreciate the different sounds they bring. Honestly between the M1 and E30, I prefer M1 becoz I can't get an ideal isolation with E30 for my ears. Of coz this is subjective. Overall, I really like their balance and smooth sound.
My bro has CX 300II and I can tell u its definitely an upgrade of SQ with M1 / E30. They sound better to me with Sony hybrid tips, Imho.
As for GR06, its a different ball game as its SQ is better than M1/E30.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I have the E30 too. Their silvery feel does put people off a little. Aesthetically, They may look cheap or like toys but they are durable.
I rotate them...weekly in order to give each of them equal love. Appreciate the different sounds they bring. Honestly between the M1 and E30, I prefer M1 becoz I can't get an ideal isolation with E30 for my ears. Of coz this is subjective. Overall, I really like their balance and smooth sound.
My bro has CX 300II and I can tell u its definitely an upgrade of SQ with M1 / E30. They sound better to me with Sony hybrid tips, Imho.
As for GR06, its a different ball game as its SQ is better than M1/E30.

You changed my mind, I'll probably gonna buy a GR06. :) I didn't heard any bad comment about it and it looks pretty good when plugged. :) However, it seems there are limited users of it, most probably because of the lacking of availability.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
You changed my mind, I'll probably gonna buy a GR06. :) I didn't heard any bad comment about it and it looks pretty good when plugged. :) However, it seems there are limited users of it, most probably because of the lacking of availability.

Glad that I could help to widen your choices. Trust you meant E30 instead of P30 in your revised thread title. Btw, just to add some good points of E30 for your consideration, they are light and very comfortable.

Hope you will make up your mind soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back