Soundmagic PL30 V PL 50 shock
Apr 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

pinkmoon1972

100+ Head-Fier
Ok Ive had my PL30's for a while and, as Ive mentioned here before I actually prefered them overall to the RE0's. Soo I thought I'd get the PL50's too as most people here seemed to think they are better than PL30's, and so they should be considering the price difference.

Sooo anyway being rather short of cash I very reluctantly sold the RE0's to fund the PL50's, my reasoning being that if the 50's were much better than the 30's I'd MUCH prefer them to the RE0's.

Big mistake, I recieved my PL50's this morning and everything I love about the PL30's is gone, instead Ive got an earphone that sounds closer to the RE0, only vastly inferior. Balls.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 40
If this is true, I am glad I didn't get the PL50's over the PL30's, which I ordered yesterday, because I want two different sounding IEMs (I'm going to order the RE0's as well).

I think you are missing the airiness and soundstage of the PL30's. I heard that is what differentiates them from PL50's.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is true, I am glad I didn't get the PL50's over the PL30's, which I ordered yesterday, because I want two different sounding IEMs (I'm going to order the RE0's as well).

I think you are missing the airiness and soundstage of the PL30's. I heard that is what differentiates them from PL50's.

Its not just the soundstage, everything on the PL30's sounds bigger and fuller and clearer. Im using the same tips for both and its the best seal I can get from all the supplied tips, I wouldnt be suprised though if this is a fitting problem, at least in part, as the difference is very pronounced.

Burn in might help also, but Ive never really found it makes that much difference, will leave it playing overnight anyway.

Also to cap things off I find the PL30's more comfortable, I prefer the cable and they even seem slightly better built.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 40
From what I gather, PL50 is better than PL30 in sound quality.
RE0 is also light years ahead of PL30 in sound quality.

You prefer the PL30 to the RE0 not because they're better (has better sound quality, but because their sound signature is more preferable to you.

I, too, am disappointed with the PL50s.
I bought a pair of PL50s (used) and they arrive this noon. Instantly disliked their signature, although the only concern I had with their SQ was the speed, which seemed too slow to keep up with Arctic Monkey's guitar riff in Brianstorm. Not a big deal, because what they lack in speed they make up for in smoothness
smily_headphones1.gif

The signature, though, was another thing. They're so warm that the only way I could consider them worthy of playtime (among my VB and Shroom) is by EQ'ing the treble way up (YMMV, of course).

I hope I don't seem too snobbish or rude by bolding the words up there, I wanted to emphasize the distinction between sound quality and sound signature.

If you prefer the PL30 to the RE0, don't fret. Buy something else which fits your preference better than the RE0!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I gather, PL50 is better than PL30 in sound quality.
RE0 is also light years ahead of PL30 in sound quality.

You prefer the PL30 to the RE0 not because they're better (has better sound quality, but because their sound signature is more preferable to you.

I, too, am disappointed with the PL50s.
I bought a pair of PL50s (used) and they arrive this noon. Instantly disliked their signature, although the only concern I had with their SQ was the speed, which seemed too slow to keep up with Arctic Monkey's guitar riff in Brianstorm. Not a big deal, because what they lack in speed they make up for in smoothness
smily_headphones1.gif

The signature, though, was another thing. They're so warm that the only way I could consider them worthy of playtime (among my VB and Shroom) is by EQ'ing the treble way up (YMMV, of course).

I hope I don't seem too snobbish or rude by bolding the words up there, I wanted to emphasize the distinction between sound quality and sound signature.

If you prefer the PL30 to the RE0, don't fret. Buy something else which fits your preference better than the RE0!
smily_headphones1.gif

No worries, thats really helpful
smily_headphones1.gif
tho the sound quality of PL30 seems better to me than PL50 also. Guess I just need to find something with Pl30 sound signature and RE0 clarity and detail now.
Suggestions most welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 40
I'm sure there are higher class IEM out there for you that is similar to PL30 in signature. Just ask, your wish will come true since there are so many experienced Head-fiers here.

But if PL30 is that good to your ears, then perhaps you stay with PL30. Ultimately, with trial and error, there's always a better one than a budget phone.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 40
I prefer Sony EPEX10A/BLK Hybrids for PL50. With the stock silicone tips, the sound is kinda lacking. With the sony's I just reach a fuller sound. Try go search on them in here.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which, in the absence of an absolute standard for sound quality, means in fact pretty much the same thing.

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 40
I really liked my pl30s also over the reo but replaced the pl30s with the hippo vbs. I had the noobs off my pl30 for a hugh sound stage and now have my hippo vbs with open backs with no bass noobs also for a hugh sound stage.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 40
I prefered the PL30 much more over the PL50.
no matter how i listened the pl50 just didn't provided the same enjoyment the pl30s did.

They didn't even sounded like a $20 iems to begin with.

RE0 was so much more better than the PL50 btw - understandably so for the price.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 40
The PL30 is definitely one of my favorite budget iem's
smily_headphones1.gif
It's quite the bargain at the price of around $20.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 40
@ Sadhanaputra- I've never touched the bass knob on PL30 so it will be on the 'clear setting'
Have left the PL50's playing all afternoon and coming back to them now they still sound rubbish compared the the 30's, Im not convinced Im getting a great fit tho so will continue fiddling. The thing I like about the 30's is they sound like full size cans, the 50's just dont compare, they just sound small and thin in comparison.
@Weibby, yep the RE0s were miles better than PL50's, I cant believe I sold them!
@ James, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
I can only trust my ears after all...still waiting for Playaz n1's by the way.
@ Ltucci, yeah I think I'm gonna go for some hippo VB's when I can get some money together again.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 40
The PL30 is slightly mid-forward in nature. If you like that signature it's not at all surpising that the PL50 sounds lacking. The PL50s are also thick-sounding and lack air, even compared to the RE0. Technically I find them vastly superior to the PL30 - more extended, flatter, faster, etc. But I ended up keeping the PL30 and selling the PL50 anyway. Can't argue with personal preferences.

Regarding upgrades, I find the RE252 to be a far more natural choice coming from the PL30 than the RE0. It's not as mid-forward but it's got the same airy feel and even better balance without losing out on detail or clarity to the RE0. Of course this comes at a price and a comfort sacrifice but that's just the way it is. You may also like the ViSang R02 though I have yet to finish reviewing them. Very airy earphone, almost open-sounding, and quite cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back