Soundmagic PL-30 or Head-Direct RE 2?
Jun 22, 2009 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheBellJar

New Head-Fier
So i'v narrowed my choices down to these two, any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Need a pair of earphones under 50$. Mostly into Classic/Psychedelic/Progressive rock. Some alternative as well. Which one of these are better suited for this sort of music?

Will be using it with a Cowon D2, taking that into account as well, which earphones would be my best bet?

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 16
I am not sure Yuin has a model called ER2. By any chance you mean Head-Direct / HifiMan RE2?

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure Yuin has a model called ER2. By any chance you mean Head-Direct / HifiMan RE2?

Oh..sorry..My bad. Yes, It is the head-direct RE 2. What does the impedence have to do with the PMP compatibility? Which would go better with the D2?

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 16
Don't worry about the impedance since both are quite easy-to-drive, but I am not sure how the synergy will go since I don't have a D2.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Don't worry about the impedance since both are quite easy-to-drive, but I am not sure how the synergy will go since I don't have a D2.

Individually which one of these would be better? Are there any other alternatives in this budget and music preference?

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Between the two, I prefer RE2 for easier fit and better detail. For around the same price range, the upcoming Beta Brainwavz is a strong contender. It sounds more 'fun' compare to the other two, but still quite accurate overall.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Between the two, I prefer RE2 for easier fit and better detail. For around the same price range, the upcoming Beta Brainwavz is a strong contender. It sounds more 'fun' compare to the other two, but still quite accurate overall.

Read at a couple of places that the RE's arent reliable and die soon enough with one problem or the other, any truth to that?

Secondly, I tried to find a review but you're not done with the Brainwavz yet, right? Still waiting for them to burn in? How do they fare against the RE 2? "Fun" as in? I'd like clarity, depth and a clean sound more than anything, I understand that If there is a lack of bass with the RE 2 It can be compensated with an amp that comes bundled on their website for 49$.

Depending on your advice to make the decision..
smile_phones.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 16
I have my RE2 since it was first release and it still function fine, don't really see any problem with build quality. Plus, Head-Direct has a very solid warranty and usually very quick to respond.

I am still burning it the Beta Brainwavz (still one day left). My impression so far is, they are not as neutral and detail orientated as RE2 nor has the widest soundstage, but they do sound more lively and fun with a pretty good bass response. I mean 'fun' as in 'musical', where you are more likely to dance with the music as opposite to sit down quietly and listen to every note in the music being unfolded.

There are quite a few RE2 review in the forum and some Beta Brainwavz impression. You should have a read on those before making any decision. Don't just rely on me as I am biased by my own listening preference.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I have my RE2 since it was first release and it still function fine, don't really see any problem with build quality. Plus, Head-Direct has a very solid warranty and usually very quick to respond.

I am still burning it the Beta Brainwavz (still one day left). My impression so far is, they are not as neutral and detail orientated as RE2 nor has the widest soundstage, but they do sound more lively and fun with a pretty good bass response. I mean 'fun' as in 'musical', where you are more likely to dance with the music as opposite to sit down quietly and listen to every note in the music being unfolded.

There are quite a few RE2 review in the forum and some Beta Brainwavz impression. You should have a read on those before making any decision. Don't just rely on me as I am biased by my own listening preference.

Read some reviews and RE2 fits the bill better. Prefer detailed sound because of my musical preference. Would be more expensive than Brainwavz but considering they were 119$ a while back, I think its a good deal.

Just one more question, Would it be better to get the combo with Fiio E5 or not? Is there a need for it? What aspects of the sound does it improve?

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I could see to get an amp with a RE2 is to improve the bass, as that's its main weakness.

Worth it? 49$ for the combo and 39$ for the earphones alone.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Well quite honestly I haven't had a pair of RE2's before, but I can say that the FiiO E5 is definitely worth the extra $10, I paid $20 for mine. Even if you don't use it for the extra bass or whatnot, it can boost volume by quite a bit with minor or no distortion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but I can say that the FiiO E5 is definitely worth the extra $10...

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back