SoundMAGIC PL-21: are they real?
Oct 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DervishD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't find these IEMs anywhere on the SoundMAGIC webpage, and in addition most of the shops I know that have SoundMAGIC products on stock doesn't have the PL21 (but they have other models like the PL-20).

Currently the only shop I know that has the PL21 is Focalprice.com, which is a bit suspicious to me :?

So I was wondering if these phones really exist or what :??

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Raúl

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 13
First, SoundMAGIC doesn't update their website much. In fact, I haven't seen them update for over a year now. 2nd, only a hand full of stores pick up PL21, thus you don't find it at a lot of places. 3rd, PL21 is indeed SoundMAGIC latest offering. 4th, FocalPrice does sell genuine SoundMAGIC products. That same can not be said to other brand of headphone they carry.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi Sayajin
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayajin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, they one of newest that came out. Currently awaiting a pair from Dealperfect. I recommend this store. ebay is also another place that stock them.

Thanks for the recommendation! I didn't know about Dealperfect. Now at least I've seen the phones in more than one store!

Raúl

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi ClieOS
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, SoundMAGIC doesn't update their website much. In fact, I haven't seen them update for over a year now.

Wow. That explains some things... Thanks for telling me
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

2nd, only a hand full of stores pick up PL21, thus you don't find it at a lot of places.

I thought that most SoundMAGIC dealers were going to have them, specially Head-Direct. I was wrong.

Quote:

4th, FocalPrice does sell genuine SoundMAGIC products. That same can not be said to other brand of headphone they carry.

I've read in another thread that FocalPrice has been dropped by SoundMAGIC because of a problem with the PL50 (something about pricing), so I was a bit worried about it.

Thanks for the explanations
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Raúl

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 13
I just had a good experience with focalprice.com's customer service - bought the PL50 from them and had to return them after they broke. The staff there did a great job communicating with me, shipped me the replacement pair as soon as they received my defective one, and even credited my account for my shipping costs to them.

As soon as I get bored with my current collection, I will be ordering the PL21 from them to play with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi os2k
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a good experience with focalprice.com's customer service - bought the PL50 from them and had to return them after they broke. The staff there did a great job communicating with me, shipped me the replacement pair as soon as they received my defective one, and even credited my account for my shipping costs to them.

Good for them, really
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm happy to hear examples of good customer care, specially from online stores.

Quote:

As soon as I get bored with my current collection, I will be ordering the PL21 from them to play with.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't use IEMs for a while (I just hope it's not forever...) so I don't think I'll buy them in the short term, but I'll keep an eye on them since they seem to be the only SoundMAGIC model to be worn straight down (and not over the ear) with a SQ decent enough (read: near enough to the PL30. Not equal to the PL30, but decent given the price).

Thanks for the info!

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

First, SoundMAGIC doesn't update their website much. In fact, I haven't seen them update for over a year now. 2nd, only a hand full of stores pick up PL21, thus you don't find it at a lot of places. 3rd, PL21 is indeed SoundMAGIC latest offering. 4th, FocalPrice does sell genuine SoundMAGIC products. That same can not be said to other brand of headphone they carry.

They do in fact update themselves, but not at their main website. That is why they now update this.
wink.gif

EDIT: I also found a new headphone on their website!

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't use IEMs for a while (I just hope it's not forever...) so I don't think I'll buy them in the short term, but I'll keep an eye on them since they seem to be the only SoundMAGIC model to be worn straight down (and not over the ear) with a SQ decent enough (read: near enough to the PL30. Not equal to the PL30, but decent given the price).

IMO the PL21 is superior to the PL30 in everything except soundstage and overall neutrality. They're just a tad on the warm/bassy side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pros1n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do in fact update themselves, but not at their main website. That is why they now update this.
wink.gif

Thanks, that's something to bookmark. The new portables are certainly a must-try for me. I was pretty impressed with the old P10's for the price. Well, with everything except the folding mechanism -_-.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

wink.gif

That is the P20 and has only just been released. A lot depends on the dealer. Here in New Zealand we have the PL21 and the P10 and P20 available

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 13
Hi ljokerl
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the PL21 is superior to the PL30 in everything except soundstage and overall neutrality. They're just a tad on the warm/bassy side.

Thanks! I liked the soundstage of the PL30, of course, but definitely it is not one of the things I would miss in an IEM. And IMHO, the PL30 lacked in the mids, so any improvement there would be really welcome.

I'm tempted to buy the PL-21 right now, but I would hate to put them on a drawer...

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I'll keep my eyes on that site from now on.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Why I didn't receive same nice service. I've got credit instead and they didn't credited for my shipping costs.
frown.gif

Somebody like you are more lucky than I am.
At least I got the PL21 from Dealperfect, they sound a little muddy. Need some burn-in I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back