SoundMAGIC P10?
Mar 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #31 of 44
^Yeah, sure, not a problem!

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I hope I don't get screwed over by MP4 Nation like 8x did, since I just ordered a pair.

I was looking for a decent, affordable mid-sized portable can... hopefully this delivers... (and hopefully MP4 Nation delivers, too!)

Oh, was thinking that this thread would die and the P10 would just kind of fade away. Nice to see that someone else is gonna give it a shot. Hopefully everything works out smoothly for you.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #33 of 44
Well, they finally managed to contact me for me to "confirm" the store credit option, though I replied back that I now want to get refunded for the difference. I hope that it's not another 2+ week wait because I changed my mind...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I hope I don't get screwed over by MP4 Nation like 8x did, since I just ordered a pair.

I was looking for a decent, affordable mid-sized portable can... hopefully this delivers... (and hopefully MP4 Nation delivers, too!)

I really hope that they don't mess up your order. What a headache....

At least on a positive note - now it doesn't seem like I'm getting screwed over. They just seem to be very very slow with email - at least when it comes time to issue a refund/store credit.

Good luck to you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspireD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, was thinking that this thread would die and the P10 would just kind of fade away. Nice to see that someone else is gonna give it a shot. Hopefully everything works out smoothly for you.

Yes, it would be nice to see how bad/good these things are. Too bad I couldn't have experienced them first hand...

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #34 of 44
Hey guys. Just to write a quick review of mine. I've had them for about a week now. I ordered from MP4Nation. Some people have had bad luck with the speed of things over there. I had bad luck on getting players at a decent speed, but everything else always gets to me in a reasonable time. So I'll leave it at this. I know that Raz is a one man show over there and I know it's slow going. But the forums are helpful and its no worse than any other place like focalprice or dealextreme. So I will keep using them.

Now for the P10's. They are tiny. I mean REALLY tiny. That pic that crazymairo posted with him holding them is misleading. He must have very small hands. Folded up, the entire set, and cord fits in the palm of my hand. I'm an adult with medium hands that are pretty skiny. Folded up, they are aprox 4"W x 3"L x 2"H. Each can is just smaller than an average sized ear. They are a bit "finicky" to open and close. By that I mean to say they are fairly stiff in either action. Also, you have to pay attention to how you open them as you can just snap right through the saftey stop by going the wrong way and then they are worthless. But you get the hang of it fairly quick. The cable is only a few inches long and will pretty much need the included extension cable unless you wear a player on your arm or with a lanyard off your neck.

Because of their dimunitive size, they dont really block out much sound at all. And a good deal of sound leaks out for others to hear if you like it loud. Thats the killer of these cans. Most people will have to press them against their ears for a good "seal" as the headband is not strong enough for this. Speaking of the headband, it is not part of the grounding. Therefore it does not work as an FM antenna for those that are thinking of it.

Now the sound quality when you have a good seal is acutaly better than you would expect. I havent really done a proper burn in with this yet. I've got maybe 20 hours on them through normal usage. The drivers have improved in their mids by a noticable amount in this small use. They favor the highs and mids of most music. I find that metal and classical (flat EQ witout amp) are choice on these cans while the worst is bass heavy or even the warm tons of classic rock of the 50's 60's and 70's. The bass is just a bit to muddy. It like to run together a bit on really heavy stuff. On the whole, I think a fair set of IEM's will simply be a better purchase for most people.

These are cute and fun to play with. I really dont think anybody was expecting great things from them. SoundMAGIC could have done much worse. Over the years I've heard a pretty lousy selection of regular headphones. These are not lousy. They are simply acceptable for their price. Their advantage is their small size. If you have some need for protable cans and buds or canal's and IEM's just cant get the job done (I cant even imagine that scenario), then these could be your cans. Again, they are fun to play with. Makes you feel like a giant when you put them on. If you happen to have a SoundMAGIC collection and want to complete it, then by all means grab a set. The only way you can really lose with these is if you think they are going to be worth more than the cost. They arent. Expect them to be a fun toy and you will have fun with them.

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #35 of 44
^Thanks for the review! I'm not expecting too much, so it looks like I won't be disappointed.

MP4 Nation sent me an email on Tuesday, March 17, saying that they had shipped. No approximate date of arrival, though (not even a range of dates), so I'm not sure when to expect them. Today makes 13 business days so far (not counting the shipping date or weekend), which makes me think they should be here any time now....

EDIT: Ooops, I just reread the email, and I ordered the headphones on the 17th... they were sent on the 23rd... which means that today is only business day #9. They'll probably come sometime next week then, I'm guessing.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #36 of 44
Thanks for the review Kodai.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #37 of 44
Okay, the P10 came in the mail today!

They're burning in right now, so I will hold off on final impressions until after about 100 hours, or so... but initially? I'm happy so far, I'll leave it at that.
smile.gif

Oh, and I agree: these things are tiny.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #38 of 44
Glad to hear you guys got the P10. Looking forward to reading further impressions. The PL-30 were really hyped out when I purchased them and perhaps that's why I was somewhat disappointed when I listened to them. With more realistic expectations, hopefully I can enjoy the P10.

Can either of you post pics so we can get an idea of how tiny these actually are?

Thanks

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspireD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can either of you post pics so we can get an idea of how tiny these actually are?

And done...

Fully extended:
DSC_0475edit.jpg

Folded up (mind you, I have fairly small hands, too!):
DSC_0477edit.jpg

Next to my Sansa Fuze:
DSC_0479edit.jpg

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #42 of 44
Hello koalkoal. I would like to make a suggestion for a revision on the P10's. The cable length. I know that you give us an extension cable. And not everybody would like a cable that is 2 meters long. But I feel the market would indeed prefer about a meter of cord length (plus or minus a bit), instead of dealing with the extension cord. The extension just adds weight, and can be the source of drop out problems. I also find the mids a bit forward sounding. Maybe the material that the covers are made from could be beefed up just a tad to help wit this and not darken the sound to much. Other than that, I think these are a fine set of portable, phones for the price.

TopPop, I'm also looking foward to seeing what you think. I've got a number of players that I've tried them on, but I too tend to us them on my Fuze. I'll check back in a couple of days to see what you think. See if a hundred hours make a difference for you. Mine seemed to any noticable improvment after about 20 hours, but I did give it a good day of burn in after I wrote that first little review. It just didnt seem to improve after that.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #43 of 44
You know, I've stopped noticing change in the burn-in process (I'm at about 50 hours, or so). That being the case, I'll probably write up a short review later today instead of waiting for 100+ hours. Maybe I should wait, but with these small drivers, and the lack of perceived change in the past 25 hourse of burn in, I'm not thinking they'll go through much more burn-in change.

Stay tuned...

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #44 of 44
these are awesome headphones i mean soundmagic in ear pl10 -----i dropped them in coffee tea and water still works like a  charm and its 2 yrs old----now i want to get a closed headphones around 150 $ --

i just got soundmagic pl10 for 900 indian rs thats is 17-18 $

love them for the clarity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back