Soundmagic E10 or Xears TD4 Black Ebony?
Jan 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

deefit

New Head-Fier
My old Sennheiser CX-300 II broke down and after weeks of reading articles, tests and reviews I had finally narrowed down my choices for its replacement. I was going for the Soundmagic E10 or the Xears TD-III. The E10's go for 32 euros ($38). But I just got an email from someone over at Xears offering me half price on the new TD4's: 50 euros ($68).

This presents kind of a dilemma. I read this topic (everybody looking for new headphones should) http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-214-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fxt90-and-ha-fx500-added-1-8-12

Since there is no review of the TD4, I'll just assume that it's not very different from the TD-III. The TD-III has a better sound quality rating than the E10 does, but I wonder if it really would make a lot of difference in day to day life? Coming from a CX-300 II, both will probably sound great. Build quality is also important, since I plan on using them a lot outdoors. It seems that Soundmagic wins when it comes to build quality.

I read that a few people have had problems with the Xears breaking down, having driver issues etc. I haven't really found anything bad on the Soundmagics. Xears proved to be really great in sending replacements, but I also read that even the replacements broke down sometimes. That kind of worries me though.

My question is, will the price difference justify the (apparantly better) soundquality of the new Xears TD4 over the Soundmagic E10?  I've had 3 sets of Sennheiser CX-300 II's that had cable issues after about 6 months. This time I'd like to be able to use my new headphones for at least a year or so. :wink:

Thanks in advance for your reply.
smile.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 12
E10s are great for the money thats what my choice is.

and welcome to head-fi 
beyersmile.png

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
E10s are great for the money thats what my choice is.

and welcome to head-fi 
beyersmile.png

Thanks
wink.gif

Do you own them? I heard some people about the size of the housing, making it a bit harder for smaller ears to fit.

The E10's aren't really that expensive, I can get a pair of CX-400 II's for the same money but I think the Soundmagics will be way better. The TD4's are more expensive compared to the E10's. Such a hard choice.
triportsad.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Thanks
wink.gif

Do you own them? I heard some people about the size of the housing, making it a bit harder for smaller ears to fit.

The E10's aren't really that expensive, I can get a pair of CX-400 II's for the same money but I think the Soundmagics will be way better. The TD4's are more expensive compared to the E10's. Such a hard choice.
triportsad.gif

Do you have small ears? If you do not you should have to worry. :D

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 12
Not really small, but not big as well. I used the medium sized tips on my Sennheisers. The Xears have a round edge which probably gives less strain on the outside of the ear.

When comparing the E10's to my old CX-300's, I wonder if there's a big difference in the housings diameter.

May 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
My old Sennheiser CX-300 II broke down and after weeks of reading articles, tests and reviews I had finally narrowed down my choices for its replacement. I was going for the Soundmagic E10 or the Xears TD-III. The E10's go for 32 euros ($38). But I just got an email from someone over at Xears offering me half price on the new TD4's: 50 euros ($68).

This presents kind of a dilemma. I read this topic (everybody looking for new headphones should) http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-214-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fxt90-and-ha-fx500-added-1-8-12

Since there is no review of the TD4, I'll just assume that it's not very different from the TD-III. The TD-III has a better sound quality rating than the E10 does, but I wonder if it really would make a lot of difference in day to day life? Coming from a CX-300 II, both will probably sound great. Build quality is also important, since I plan on using them a lot outdoors. It seems that Soundmagic wins when it comes to build quality.

I read that a few people have had problems with the Xears breaking down, having driver issues etc. I haven't really found anything bad on the Soundmagics. Xears proved to be really great in sending replacements, but I also read that even the replacements broke down sometimes. That kind of worries me though.

My question is, will the price difference justify the (apparantly better) soundquality of the new Xears TD4 over the Soundmagic E10?  I've had 3 sets of Sennheiser CX-300 II's that had cable issues after about 6 months. This time I'd like to be able to use my new headphones for at least a year or so. :wink:

Thanks in advance for your reply.
smile.gif

Hi

Did you go for the TD4's?...I would also be interested to get feedback, as interested in getting a set.

Cheers

May 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Hi

Did you go for the TD4's?...I would also be interested to get feedback, as interested in getting a set.

Cheers

No, I actually got the E10's. I do love the sound of these, but I think the cable got damaged somewhere. Thinking about buying a new set of IEM's with an L-cable plug instead of the I-cable plug.

May 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

No, I actually got the E10's. I do love the sound of these, but I think the cable got damaged somewhere. Thinking about buying a new set of IEM's with an L-cable plug instead of the I-cable plug.

Thanks...I got some E10's and must admit they are very good...but you always think..'I wonder what they might be like?'...trying to find the best marriage for sound..it's like the hunt for the Holy Grail...LOL

May 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Must admit I can see why the E10's have had such good feedback, they certainly are a lot better than the Senn's CX300-ii and CX400-ii, I have, also I got some Hisoundsound PoPo's (free with the RoCoo-P) and the E10's I still prefer...but I cannot help but tinker and think...what else could I try, without going silly and spending loads of dosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back