SounDevil - modern Windows music player
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #61 of 69
Hi, I believe your query wasn't really answered correctly as looks like there's a misunderstanding between the two of you so let me help out.

I will use information from your Screenshot as an example. In your Screenshot you have 2 Audio Output Devices (I'm ignoring the FIIO since its not in this discussion) and you should use it as below:

1. CHORD (SounDevil Music ONLY)
2. Conexant ISST Audio (Every other sound that comes out from your computer) (this should the audio device that is built into your computer)

What the above instructions is recommending you to do is to open your Control Panel. Go to Sound. Now you should see the two devices above. (possibly more, but its safe to ignore the rest). Then right-click the Conexant ISST Audio and set that as the Default Device and Default Communication Device. By doing this, all sounds that your Computer produces will be output through your Conexant ISST Audio by default. Then when you specify a different Audio Output, your CHORD for example, in SounDevil, it will separately output audio through your CHORD instead.

What this instruction is trying to tell you is that for all other audio output (such as youtube or any other website with sound, games, Windows system sounds and other application sounds etc) besides music playing on SounDevil should not use the same Audio Output Device that you want to use to listen to music. For best compatibility when using ASIO in SounDevil, you should have separate outputs to avoid running into problems that ASIO sometimes causes. Use your USB DAC only for Music, while the rest should be output through another device, usually your built-in audio.
Hello,

Thanks for your detailed reply and effort. On my laptop, I always have Windows Sounds set to No Sound, due to the white noise issue that can occur with the Chord Mojo 2.
For the little time I've used SounDevil, I was always selecting WASAPI Chord. Lately, I've stopped using it. I have not even installed it on my new HP Envy 17 laptop, I purchased a few days ago. It is a nice player but the developer seems to have abandoned it or [he is] developing it as a side/hobby project. It had some cool Internet Radio stations I loved, now they are gone...

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #63 of 69
@Joe Mak , I don't know if you will see this message but I have just downloaded the latest version, SounDevil_1.7.1.1_x64 and it does not run on Windows 11 Home. I tried to Run as Administrator but nothing happens. Does it run on Windows 11?

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #64 of 69
@Joe Mak , I don't know if you will see this message but I have just downloaded the latest version, SounDevil_1.7.1.1_x64 and it does not run on Windows 11 Home. I tried to Run as Administrator but nothing happens. Does it run on Windows 11?
It should be able to run on Windows 11. Any error prompt? Try restarting the computer. Welcome feedback

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #65 of 69
It should be able to run on Windows 11. Any error prompt? Try restarting the computer. Welcome feedback
Hello,

Here are my Specs:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.1344
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

Here is what I do:

1. I download SounDevil_1.7.1.1_x64_win10 from your website. There is no specific version for Windows 11, so I get this one.
2. I unzip it
3. I run (double-click) SounDevil
4. Windows protected your PC opens up (see attached screenshot)
5. I select Run anyway
6. The cursor swirls a bit and then nothing happens. Nothing is loading, no SounDevil opens
7. I have also rebooted, still it does not work.

Attachments

• pr.png
    pr.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #66 of 69
Hello,

Here are my Specs:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.1344

Here is what I do:

1. I download SounDevil_1.7.1.1_x64_win10 from your website. There is no specific version for Windows 11, so I get this one.
2. I unzip it
5. I select Run anyway
6. The cursor swirls a bit and then nothing happens. Nothing is loading, no SounDevil opens
Thank you for your detailed reply. I still can't locate the problem because there is no prompt. I'm developing a new version. Maybe the next version will be fine.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #67 of 69
Hello,

Here are my Specs:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.1344

Here is what I do:

2. I unzip it
5. I select Run anyway
Do you have the specs of your computer? Can you try the Windows 7 version?
If your computer is too old, even though it can run Windows 11 or Windows 10 doesn't mean it is compatible with the Windows 10 version of SounDevil. As mentioned the Windows 10 version requires a CPU that supports AVX2. If you have an older system, your CPU may not support it and the program that requires it may not run at all.

As mentioned on the website, the Windows 7 requirements given are minimum requirements. Meaning if you have something newer or better than the minimum it will run fine.

So if it says Windows 7 is the minimum requirement, meaning you can run it on Windows 7 and above, including Windows 11. This means no Vista or XP and below for example.
For the Windows 10 version, it is for Windows 10 and above. If you have Windows 8 and below you can't run the Windows 10 version.
So there is no need to for a software author to make specific versions for specific Windows versions, neither is there a need for him/her to specify all of the Windows versions that it supports.

Edit: forgot to add. I have been running Windows 11 since it was released, so the moment I found out about SounDevil on this forum I have already been running SounDevil on Windows 11. SounDevil runs fine on Windows 11. I used the Windows 7 version for my old PC that ran Windows 11 seeing that older PC is really old with no AVX2 support. My newer PC also runs Windows 11, built end of last year, this one runs the Windows 10 version since it supports AVX2, along with other newer stuff. AVX2 is quite old by computer standards. I've no issues with both.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #68 of 69
Thank you for your detailed reply. I still can't locate the problem because there is no prompt. I'm developing a new version. Maybe the next version will be fine.
Thank you, when will the new version become available? :)
Note: I was able to use the previous version(s) on the same laptop with no problems. Additionally, I have just tried SounDevil_1.7.1.0_x64_win7, as well, and the same happens. It does not run.

By the way, my laptop is the HP Envy 17. I have disabled all of the settings in the Reputation based protection, under App & Browser control, in Windows Settings but still it does not run on this laptop.

However, SounDevil runs fine in my older HP Envy laptop, bought in 2018 and running Windows 11 Pro

@Joe Mak , do you have any explanation about this? Do you have any suggestions on how can I run SounDevil on my current laptop?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back